Vital Signs

Lucas

For someone who views Permanent Waves as "the beginning of the end", you might figure that Vital Signs would be the last song I pick to start a thread ..

When I first bought Moving Pictures, I could barely bring myself to listen to it - but out of the entire RUSH catalog, Vital Signs is THE song that has done the full 180 ..

I love it, and as time goes by, it really stands out for me more and more - maybe even Top 25 ...

The lyrics are perfect - not over explained - ambiguous enough to really fit the music ..

Everybody got mixed feelings

About the function and the form

Everybody got to elevate from the norm

The band was obviously going thru a change - and I am sure Neil, in particular, saw it as "evolving"

Everybody got to deviate from the norm

I take this as not only a deviation from the societal norm, by perhaps also from the personal "norm" - again, change within the band, the musical direction, and most likely, the relationships within the band ..

The impulse is pure

Sometimes our circuits get shorted

By external interference

Signals get crossed

And the balance distorted

By internal incoherence

Internal incoherence - could Neil be referring to that within the band, or perhaps Terry Brown, or is this more a general take on society ala Witch Hunt ?

Whatever the case, Vital Signs is a pretty fascinating little piece of music - and the band did it well ...

SIGNALS get crossed - an example of a lyric that carried over - a segue if you will - to the new beginning ...

Also of interest is the original Permanent Waves cover that was posted here the other day - the "vital signs" cover ...

What do ya think ?

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 2

:goodone:

It's a very well-crafted song all around, from it's deceiving complexity to its clever, artfully written lyrics. I really enjoy it, especially with headphones

• Like 2

I am another who used to consider it the weakest song on Moving Pictures, but it has also done the full 180 for me. I just love it, all the way around.
  • Like 1

I used to think it was a weak song to end the album mainly because it wasn't a 'heavy' song like Red Barchetta.As we all know the band were getting into bands like The Police and Ultravox,hence more reggae rythyms and keyboards.Both lyrically and music wise it ties in well with what was to come.It is a great song.
  • Like 1

First time I listened to the album this was Moving Pictures' saving grace. I hadn't thoroughly enjoyed The Camera Eye (I was expecting something more like Natural Science) or Witch Hunt (bored me)--granted, I had been half asleep and had totally different expectations whilst listening to these songs for the first time--and I had already heard most of the first side too many times before to care much about it (Red Barchetta was a treat though). Needless to say I was beginning to feel rather disappointed by what would soon become my second and a half favorite Rush album, having heard it was amazing beyond belief from countless others...until I stumbled across this little gem. Vital Signs. I knew this would make or break the second side for me and I knew I had great potential to fall fully asleep if it didn't excite me more than the two songs before it, so I had a lot pinned on this one little song. I listened, I heard a synthesizer line and reggae guitar chords begin to fade in from off in the distance, at a much more lively tempo than the previous song, and all of the sudden it burst into existence in my eardrums with cymbal crashes and heavy guitars. In an instant I though "all I need now is a great Geddy Lee bass line," and that's exactly what I got moments later, even mirroring the cool, quirky synth line I was beginning to really enjoy. As the song continued, the lyrics intrigued me, though I didn't think much on them, and then the chorus hit. I was hooked. It was weird, fast and lively, and catchy above all else, and I even forgave it for fading out since it had given the album such a strong finish. For the longest time it was the only song on side two I really cared much about, until my dad got hooked on TCE and I listened more closely to WH. Nevertheless, Vital Signs is still the best track on side two for me. :)
  • Like 1

I am another who used to consider it the weakest song on Moving Pictures, but it has also done the full 180 for me. I just love it, all the way around.

I can't see any smidgen of weakness on this album. It's just part of the perfect picture! :notworthy:

• Like 3

No you were right. It's a good song, but the weak link.

When I first bought Moving Pictures, I could barely bring myself to listen to it

Jesus really? Fascinating. It killed me from day one and continues to do so. All my other Top 5 Rush albums have some niggling flaw in them to some degree but that album is a masterpiece in every sense of the word. Well that's how I've always seen it. I'm glad many here probably don't share my love for it. Anyways, back to VS...

• Like 3

When I first bought Moving Pictures, I could barely bring myself to listen to it

Jesus really? Fascinating. It killed me from day one and continues to do so. All my other Top 5 Rush albums have some niggling flaw in them to some degree but that album is a masterpiece in every sense of the word. Well that's how I've always seen it. I'm glad many here probably don't share my love for it. Anyways, back to VS...

I get that Steevo. From where I at, the song is a really good song, and is unique sounding in every sense of the word. IMO it seems out of place on the album amidst those miracle songs.
  • Like 2

I get that Steevo. From where I at, the song is a really good song, and is unique sounding in every sense of the word. IMO it seems out of place on the album amidst those miracle songs.

Hmmm, ok, never thought of it as that jarring but all good TM :)

• Like 1

This context makes more sense. I know it seems odd to make that assertion, but let this play out in your mind in terms of vibe. It's laughable to even entertain this though I admit

Subdivisions

The Analog Kid

Chemistry

Vital Signs

The Weapon

Digital Man

Losing It

Countdown...

Edited by Tombstone Mountain
  • Like 1

It took me a while to warm up to Vital Signs. I always considered it the weakest point on the album but I no longer do. Not sure what the heck I was thinking because I think its great now... :huh:
  • Like 3

Word!

Can anyone tell me what Word! means? I lost my ghetto to old white guy translation guide.

Word!

Can anyone tell me what Word! means? I lost my ghetto to old white guy translation guide.

The guys flashing the gang signs can I'm sure

A37LQ8xCQAA3Zw6.jpg

This context makes more sense. I know it seems odd to make that assertion, but let this play out in your mind in terms of vibe. It's laughable to even entertain this though I admit

Subdivisions

The Analog Kid

Chemistry

Vital Signs

The Weapon

Digital Man

Losing It

Countdown...

Yep I see where you're coming from. I just have no issue with it as a closer. I have to admit I hadn't heard much Rush prior to MP so maybe I was just more accepting of the style than others on first listen. Funnily enough Signals ranks very low for me overall. Also going against popular opinion here! Well it used to be like that...Goobs! :LOL:

• Like 1

Because it was so extraordinarily great, it was simply too much to handle?

Because it was so extraordinarily great, it was simply too much to handle?

lol

because when you are 13 or 14 and are buying Iron Maiden's KILLERS along w/ Moving Pictures, "Vital Signs" took a while to get there ...

But it landed, and it landed well :D

I've pretty much always liked this song. Compositionally and lyrically, it's spectacular...the only shortcoming is the arrangement. It should've been more rock, less new wave.
  • Like 1

Hello. My name is Tom

(HI TOM!)

Hi..... and I...... well......... Vital Signs is one of my favorite Rush songs... in fact... well........ it may be my favorite.

There. I said it........... now you know my silent shame.

• Like 1

I love the song to death. Which puzzles me as I don't really enjoy Signals
  • Like 1

For someone who views Permanent Waves as "the beginning of the end", you might figure that Vital Signs would be the last song I pick to start a thread ..

When I first bought Moving Pictures, I could barely bring myself to listen to it - but out of the entire RUSH catalog, Vital Signs is THE song that has done the full 180 ..

I love it, and as time goes by, it really stands out for me more and more - maybe even Top 25 ...

The lyrics are perfect - not over explained - ambiguous enough to really fit the music ..

Everybody got mixed feelings

About the function and the form

Everybody got to elevate from the norm

The band was obviously going thru a change - and I am sure Neil, in particular, saw it as "evolving"

Everybody got to deviate from the norm

I take this as not only a deviation from the societal norm, by perhaps also from the personal "norm" - again, change within the band, the musical direction, and most likely, the relationships within the band ..

The impulse is pure

Sometimes our circuits get shorted

By external interference

Signals get crossed

And the balance distorted

By internal incoherence

Internal incoherence - could Neil be referring to that within the band, or perhaps Terry Brown, or is this more a general take on society ala Witch Hunt ?

Whatever the case, Vital Signs is a pretty fascinating little piece of music - and the band did it well ...

SIGNALS get crossed - an example of a lyric that carried over - a segue if you will - to the new beginning ...

Also of interest is the original Permanent Waves cover that was posted here the other day - the "vital signs" cover ...

What do ya think ?

This song is about drugs.

• Like 1