What Made You Sad Today?

Principled Man

I found out yesterday that my dog has cancer.

I'm really upset...he's the best dog I'll ever own; I've had him since 2006. He lived in Louisiana originally...he was displaced from his original owner during Hurricane Katrina, and was rescued after about a month on the loose. And then I got him from the veterinarian who rescued him a few months after that.

He's a mix of Plott hound and Catahoula. If you live in the south/southeastern U.S., you are probably familiar with those breeds (but nobody had ever heard of them where I live, when I got him)...really lean and muscular. The strongest dog I've ever seen, actually. And just a great, great friend.

He can have surgery for the tumor he has, which I'll probably have done this week, or early next week at the latest. And if all goes well, he could have another eighteen months. He's in pretty good health on other fronts. But he's definitely not doing well right now, and I feel bad for what he's going to have to go through.

I don't have (or want) an image hosting account, so I've never posted any photos here. But I found a stock photo that looks a lot like him. His brindle coat has more black than brown in it than this dog, but otherwise, he looks a whole lot like this guy:

http://www.pethealthnetwork.com/sites/default/files/styles/large/public/the-plott-hound153492033.png?itok=BNMtyTNb

• Like 1

I'm really upset...he's the best dog I'll ever own; I've had him since 2006. He lived in Louisiana originally...he was displaced from his original owner during Hurricane Katrina, and was rescued after about a month on the loose. And then I got him from the veterinarian who rescued him a few months after that.

He's a mix of Plott hound and Catahoula. If you live in the south/southeastern U.S., you are probably familiar with those breeds (but nobody had ever heard of them where I live, when I got him)...really lean and muscular. The strongest dog I've ever seen, actually. And just a great, great friend.

He can have surgery for the tumor he has, which I'll probably have done this week, or early next week at the latest. And if all goes well, he could have another eighteen months. He's in pretty good health on other fronts. But he's definitely not doing well right now, and I feel bad for what he's going to have to go through.

I don't have (or want) an image hosting account, so I've never posted any photos here. But I found a stock photo that looks a lot like him. His brindle coat has more black than brown in it than this dog, but otherwise, he looks a whole lot like this guy:

http://www.pethealthnetwork.com/sites/default/files/styles/large/public/the-plott-hound153492033.png?itok=BNMtyTNb

I love my big goofy shepherd-collie mix. He's nine now and enjoys sleeping more than frantically running around.

It's hard to watch them slow down. This is my second dog, and the first one just about ripped my heart out when he died (cancer). It's no fun sometimes, but great slobbery fun most times. Dogs are the best.

Hang in there Blue J. I'm crossing my fingers that you guys get 18 more months at least. Enjoy every second.

My guy kinda looks like this, but a little shaggier and somewhat redolent of poop:

http://buzzsharer.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/german-shepherd-border-collie-mix.jpg

• Like 1

Really sad to hear this,Blue. Peace and STREGNTH to you, my friend.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j223/OldRUSHfan/Banana%20World/banana%20riding%20dog.gif

• Like 1

My daughter's dog - a 1yo boxer-American bull mix - flipped her switch at the dog park today and tore into another dog. She had the dog in what looked like a death grip, but it turned out to only be the other dog's ear. I had to literally pry her jaws apart to get a release, which resulted in two bloody hands and a trip to urgent care for stitches. I'll be paying for the other very lucky dog's vet bills.

And now I'm really concerned about having the dog around the house... :(

I wish things soothe for you. Please stay safe.

Is it possible to properly instruct your dog? Or does any other procedure must be done?

I hope you recover soon.

Is the other dog better?

The other dog is fine. I met the owner and dog at the vet and there was a torn ear and one puncture wound to the neck. Funny thing, the dog and I are on the same antibiotics!

One of my fingers has stitches and hurts like mad, but everything else is fine. Thanks for caring! :hug2:

• Like 1

vaportrailer and ORFie, I appreciate the kind words...I got some more bad news about my dog yesterday, as a result of some blood work that was done on him- his kidneys are also failing. So even with a successful operation to get the tumor out, and dialysis on his kidneys (which is a really, really horrible procedure for dogs), he would be around for about four more months. And his quality of life during that time would be really, really bad.

So...I think this is the end. :(

vaportrailer and ORFie, I appreciate the kind words...I got some more bad news about my dog yesterday, as a result of some blood work that was done on him- his kidneys are also failing. So even with a successful operation to get the tumor out, and dialysis on his kidneys (which is a really, really horrible procedure for dogs), he would be around for about four more months. And his quality of life during that time would be really, really bad.

So sorry to hear that, BlueJ.
  • Like 1

So sorry to hear that, BlueJ.

Thanks, goose.

I'm sorry to hear about your daughter's dog and your injury, too. I didn't mean to glaze right past that, but I guess I did.

• Like 1

:hug2: My heart goes out to you, BlueJ. I'm so sorry to hear this.

• Like 1

:hug2: :hug2: :hug2:

• Like 1

It's time to take some distance from two people who made me very upset and humiliated me for no reason.

:(

I'm trying to find a way not to put up with these situations and relatives. I shall see.

It's quite sad.

Heart goes out to you. Pets are precious.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear the bad news. Lost my pooch back in October. Hang in there bro. :cheers:

• Like 1

My daughter's dog - a 1yo boxer-American bull mix - flipped her switch at the dog park today and tore into another dog. She had the dog in what looked like a death grip, but it turned out to only be the other dog's ear. I had to literally pry her jaws apart to get a release, which resulted in two bloody hands and a trip to urgent care for stitches. I'll be paying for the other very lucky dog's vet bills.

And now I'm really concerned about having the dog around the house... :(

That sucks.

I had to break up a dog fight a few years back. I ended up having to go to the emergency room. It was a nightmare trying to separate them. Vicious as hell!

Ah ffs my friend. Very sorry to hear this. It's fkn hard because you want to be selfish and have them with you as long as possible, but you also can't let your buddy suffer. I hope you guys enjoy a few more walks at least. Hang in there.

Thinking of you and your buddy and wishing you all the best; vt

• Like 2

Sorry to hear the bad news. Lost my pooch back in October. Hang in there bro. :cheers:

Thanks, Greg, I appreciate it.

Good to see you around here again! And I'm sorry to hear about your loss, too.

:rose:

• Like 1

Ah ffs my friend. Very sorry to hear this. It's fkn hard because you want to be selfish and have them with you as long as possible, but you also can't let your buddy suffer. I hope you guys enjoy a few more walks at least. Hang in there.

Thanks again, vt, I really appreciate it.

I did take him on one last walk, two nights ago. He wanted to go out, which I was happy to see. But he couldn't go very far. He was having trouble with his hind legs (which is a symptom of the kidney failure); they just failed to support him, there at the end. We went about half a block, and then came back. And I had to lift him up the three steps from the garage into the house.

He was put to sleep yesterday...and the vet said it was the right time to do it. Just observing the way he was acting, she said she didn't know if he'd even make it for another two days.

But it was really peaceful...when he went to sleep, you could hear his pain going away.

:rose: :rose: :rose:

• Like 2

I did take him on one last walk, two nights ago. He wanted to go out, which I was happy to see. But he couldn't go very far. He was having trouble with his hind legs (which is a symptom of the kidney failure); they just failed to support him, there at the end. We went about half a block, and then came back. And I had to lift him up the three steps from the garage into the house.

He was put to sleep yesterday...and the vet said it was the right time to do it. Just observing the way he was acting, she said she didn't know if he'd even make it for another two days.

But it was really peaceful...when he went to sleep, you could hear his pain going away.

It's the humane thing to do.

• Like 4

Sorry for your loss. :(

:rose: :rose:

• Like 1

• Like 1

• Like 1