The Synth Era: Essential Greatness

JohnRogers

WARNING: After rereading this, it may seem like I'm being a smarta** or a snob, but that's not what I intended at all.

Sorry, JohnRogers, but I think you've got this whole synth thing messed up. I think most fans would agree that the so-called "synth era" began in 1982 with Signals and ended in 1987 with Hold Your Fire, as Presto began a transition toward more guitar-oriented music. And, for an essentials list, I think you have way too many songs in there. Subdivisions, Red Sector A, The Big Money, Marathon, Mission. That's about it.

Edited by Disk98
  • Like 1

Rush - 2112: Blues rock era

A Farewell to Kings - Moving Pictures: Prog era

Signals - Hold Your Fire: Synth era

Presto - Test for Echo: Return to rock era

Vapor Trails - Clockwork Angels and beyond: Comeback era

Essentials from Synth Era:

(limit 3 songs per album)

Signals:

Subdivisions

New World Man

Losing It

Grace Under Pressure:

Distant Early Warning

Red Sector A

Between the Wheels

Power Windows:

Big Money

Territories

Mystic Rhythms

Hold Your Fire:

Force Ten

Time Stand Still

Mission

Nothing about Counterparts is synthy.

Signals:

Subdivisions

New World Man

Losing It

Grace Under Pressure:

Distant Early Warning

Red Sector A

Between the Wheels

Power Windows:

Big Money

Territories

Mystic Rhythms

Hold Your Fire:

Force Ten

Time Stand Still

Mission

I would put Presto - Test For Echo in the "Pop Rock" category, rather than a return to rock. Much lighter weight music than previously.

• Like 1

By that, I mean this: Lifeson is a brilliant guitarist, but many of the songs between FBN and Signals were driven by outstanding bass and drum playing. Alex truly shined on solos, but to say he "carried" the songs is kind of stretching it, in my book (don't wait for the movie.)

I think you have to put PeW and MP in their own little brief era. There were still some brief prog moments, but the overall movement was toward shorter songs. Those two records were like the bridge between prog Rush and synth Rush.

• Like 1

I tend to group certain albums into eras of sorts, more based on the feel I get from the albums. I sort of have 8 groupings, in terms of what albums I enjoy playing together. Some like the debut and Vapor Trails I enjoy best played on their own. The debut I think it's down to probably the 5 years or so of history before it and Vapor Trails there's just so much emotion and build up for me that it seems to also sit on its own. (That's just the way I think of them).

When I think of a Sythesizer heavy period, It tends to be more the 1982-1987 years for me (ie I'd play a lot of tracks from any of these 4 albums and get a similar "feeling").

1974 Rush

1975-1978 Fly by Night-Hemispheres

1980-1981 Permanent Waves/Moving Pictures

1982-1987 Signals-Hold Your Fire

1989-1991 Presto/Roll the Bones

1993-1996 Counterparts/Test for Echo

2002 Vapor Trails

2007-2012 Snakes and Arrows/Clockwork Angels.

Edited by Duke1

If Ged had color coded stickers on his bass identifying certain notes, would anyone take " The Bass Era - Essential Greatness" more seriously than the Synth Era?

I mean, seriously?

EagleMoon: Really? Alex had to carry the songs before that? You are joking, right?

I didn't mean it the way you are apparently taking it. I'm fully aware all three are integral parts of the whole. I'm talking about in the sense of a melodic instrument that is not the rhythm section. Guitar - keyboards.

• Like 1

For me it starts with Power Windows, because that's when the synth shots started to become distracting, when listening to a Rush album started to sound like hanging out in a video game arcade.

But you never expect video arcade music to have lyrics like this....

The big bang took and shook the world

Shot down the rising sun

The end was begun and it hit everyone

When the chain reaction was done

The big shots tried to hold it back

Fools tried to wish it away

The hopeful depend on a world without end

Whatever the hopeless may say

• Like 1

Signals:

Subdivisions

New World Man

Losing It

Grace Under Pressure:

Distant Early Warning

Red Sector A

Between the Wheels

Power Windows:

Big Money

Territories

Mystic Rhythms

Hold Your Fire:

Force Ten

Time Stand Still

Mission

I would put Presto - Test For Echo in the "Pop Rock" category, rather than a return to rock. Much lighter weight music than previously.

Agreed or the attempt at a return to rock era. How is Caress Of Steel and 2112 not in the prog era at least from my understanding of what prog is? Don't agree with the selections of songs exception Grace Under Pressure. The Weapon, Manhattan Project would have to be on there for me from Signals and Power Windows respectively. There are 8 possibilities on HYF and exception Mission I would select a different 3. Second Nature and Turn The Page would be better choices for me anyway. Popular doesn't necessarily mean better... Edited by Narps
  • Like 2

OK...I'm in with a little group of "prog heads" on Facebook, and someone was talking about those 80's bands like Asia, GTR, and the 90125 version of Yes, and this stuff sort of fits into that if you really think about it. Rush's stuff was a little more accessible to someone that likes the "pop" rock sound, and I really think that Power Windows, and Hold You Fire fit into that category.

Those lush synth sounds, but they still had a more creative, progressive edge to it. Less "cookie cutter" than the rest of the stuff out there, but it still was easier to listen to than the older stuff. I knew people that really got into Asia and all that, but weren't digging the ELP or Yes stuff that was out before that... In fact, I know someone that LOVED 90125, and went out and bought some prior Yes, and was totally appalled by that stuff! (I think she bought Relayer since it was usually in the "cut out" bin!)

• Like 1

My choice of best synth era songs:

MP-

Vital Signs

Signals-

Analog Kid

New World Man

Losing It

Countdown

GUP-

Distant Early Warning

Afterimage

Red Sector A

The Enemy Within

The whole album lol

PoW-

Marathon

Mystic Rhythms

Grand Designs

HYF-

All of it

IMHO on Signals the synth was still a support vehicle unlike GUP.

Totally wrong. Guitar actually made a "comeback" on GUP despite the heavy keys. Straight from Lee and Lifeson's mouth again.

Glad I'm not alone!

I think this is true, too. The guitar was much more up-front on Grace Under Pressure. It's just that they were also embracing the synth technology, which happened to be exploding between 1982 and '84, to a great extent- and making it an integral part of their overall sound, at that time. Grace Under Pressure really is, for its time, a cutting-edge modern rock record.

• Like 1

In the eighties all the big rock bands changed their sound due to synths and digital recording. The drums sounded like someone hitting Tupperware, bass went trebly and guitarists used that awful compressed chorus sound. I personally hated it but bands such as Genesis, Yes and Queen sold more records with this sound than their 70s incarnations did unfortunately. Rush were no different.

IMHO on Signals the synth was still a support vehicle unlike GUP.

Totally wrong. Guitar actually made a "comeback" on GUP despite the heavy keys. Straight from Lee and Lifeson's mouth again.

Glad I'm not alone!

I think this is true, too. The guitar was much more up-front on Grace Under Pressure. It's just that they were also embracing the synth technology, which happened to be exploding between 1982 and '84, to a great extent- and making it an integral part of their overall sound, at that time. Grace Under Pressure really is, for its time, a cutting-edge modern rock record.

If you listen to the PoW demos you will hear that the rock edge is still present on most of the material. It was smoothed out and synthied up when they signed on with Peter Collins and he perhaps brought a bit more focus to the production. Then on HYF They went full bore and subsequently imo overproducd the album.

For me it starts with Power Windows, because that's when the synth shots started to become distracting, when listening to a Rush album started to sound like hanging out in a video game arcade.

But you never expect video arcade music to have lyrics like this....

The big bang took and shook the world

Shot down the rising sun

The end was begun and it hit everyone

When the chain reaction was done

The big shots tried to hold it back

Fools tried to wish it away

The hopeful depend on a world without end

Whatever the hopeless may say

True, but then I don't recall arcade game music having any lyrics at all!

• Like 1

OK...I'm in with a little group of "prog heads" on Facebook, and someone was talking about those 80's bands like Asia, GTR, and the 90125 version of Yes, and this stuff sort of fits into that if you really think about it. Rush's stuff was a little more accessible to someone that likes the "pop" rock sound, and I really think that Power Windows, and Hold You Fire fit into that category.

Those lush synth sounds, but they still had a more creative, progressive edge to it. Less "cookie cutter" than the rest of the stuff out there, but it still was easier to listen to than the older stuff. I knew people that really got into Asia and all that, but weren't digging the ELP or Yes stuff that was out before that... In fact, I know someone that LOVED 90125, and went out and bought some prior Yes, and was totally appalled by that stuff! (I think she bought Relayer since it was usually in the "cut out" bin!)

Ew.

:P

Like some have already stated, I would say Signals is synth-era, and in my view, the best thereof.

If you people are going to insist with this Signals is Synth Era garbage it just means five more songs added to the list. Making the Synth Era more powerful than you can possibly imagine.

;)

• Like 1

Looking back and recalling how many diehard fans that started with Rush in the 70s completely lost their chit in 1982, I'd have to say The Synth Era started with Signals... :drool:

So, this list...includes songs that may or may not have actually had a synth on them?

The synth era definitely starts with Signals. I don't see how any list of Rush's best synth era songs could leave out "Subdivisions".