The Synth Era: Essential Greatness

JohnRogers

For me it starts with Power Windows, because that's when the synth shots started to become distracting, when listening to a Rush album started to sound like hanging out in a video game arcade.

That is what I hear in GUP like I said earlier an explosion of synth vomit. In GUP for the first time synth is on a even level with guitar, bass and drums. This carries on through Presto fo'sho.

We all have views....but there are synths all over Signals.........so i don't see how you say it doesn't start there.

but this forum confuses me daily so...... ;)

Mick

This.

• Like 1

I don't regard Presto-T4E as the synth era.

Presto and RTB are their own era. CP-VT is about right, and SA onwards feels like the next stage.

• Like 3

Signals has more synth but doesn't sound as "pop" as Grace Under Pressure. Signals still has rebellious rock attitude on it that lacks on Grace Under Pressure.

Looking back and recalling how many diehard fans that started with Rush in the 70s completely lost their chit in 1982, I'd have to say The Synth Era started with Signals... :drool:

So, this list...includes songs that may or may not have actually had a synth on them?

Yeah...pretty bad when the OP doesn't even frame the era properly.

Signals has more synth but doesn't sound as "pop" as Grace Under Pressure. Signals still has rebellious rock attitude on it that lacks on Grace Under Pressure.

Rebellious? Signals is pure nerd pop to my ears! It ain't Van Halen!

• Like 2

You nailed CP as the worst album and got the great songs from T4E, so I'll forgive you for having no idea what the synth era is.

He missed Time and Motion, not only a great song but also one that actually features some synth.
  • Like 1

I don't know if i'd call ALL signals pop......but Subdivisions sure is a pop song to my ears.

Mick

I'd say New World Man is pop, but the guitar in Subdivisions give it's the rock attitude. The overall mood.
  • Like 2

I'd say New World Man is pop, but the guitar in Subdivisions give it's the rock attitude. The overall mood.

i can see that.....but in it's structure it's basic pop

Mick

Only in the same way that Tom Sawyer is rap. ;)
  • Like 1

I don't know if i'd call ALL signals pop......but Subdivisions sure is a pop song to my ears.

Mick

None of it is straightforward rock either.

• Like 1

Yes, Signals to Hold Your Fire is the synth-era. A wonderfully enjoyable run of albums. In fact, it's Rush's second best run of albums. LOVE IT!

By the way, I miss the four studio albums one live album sequence.

Essential Synth Songs:

Signals (not full on Synth rock here but I consider it part of the synth era) :

Subdivisions

The Weapon

GUP

Distant Early Warning

Afterimage

Red Sector A

Between the Wheels

Power Windows

The Big Money

Grand Designs

Marathon

Middletown Dreams

Hold Your Fire

Lock & Key

Force Ten

Mission

For me it ends at Presto, there might be keyboards on that album but they aren't prominent enough to call it a part of the Synth era.

• Like 1

Essential Synth Songs:

Signals (not full on Synth rock here but I consider it part of the synth era) :

Subdivisions

The Weapon

GUP

Distant Early Warning

Afterimage

Red Sector A

Between the Wheels

Power Windows

The Big Money

Grand Designs

Marathon

Middletown Dreams

Hold Your Fire

Lock & Key

Force Ten

Mission

For me it ends at Presto, there might be keyboards on that album but they aren't prominent enough to call it a part of the Synth era.

Thank you.

IMO, the synth era truly began with the final track on MP. That song sounds like the inspiration and stepping stone to Signals, the first full album of what I'd call the synth era. After 4 albums of progressively more dominant keyboards, Presto started the next chapter of the Rush sound and a gradual return back to more guitar based songs.

The Camera Eye had a real dominant synth line as well. Of course all of the songs have synths in them somewhere.

I took great care listening and believe GUP through T4E is one era. With Vapor Trails starting a new era for a Rush. Sure there can be some debate but Presto is not up for debate that is Synth Era glory.

Anywho let's not lose the message here. Laughedatbytime can suck on those 40 great songs and enjoy the synth!

I have spoken 73 can now lock this thread.