The Synth Era: Essential Greatness

JohnRogers

I was on board till you started hating on HYF. Some day when this planet is a planet of apes an ancient astronaut will find HYF in the ruins of the city. The truth will be revealed.
  • Like 1

I don't think there are any more keyboards on Signals than there are on Moving Pictures, just the production is different.

Yeah I don't quite get that about Signals being the start of the synth era. There were quite a few keyboards on MP.

Precisely.

I dunno WTF people are smoking. Must be good stuff.

Clearly it's Moving Pictures which started that phase.

• Like 1

Moving Pictures had synths but they sounded better, and so did Alex.

Signals is very bland sounding, in neither like the majority of the keyboard work, and Alex has very few interesting moments IN MY OPINION.

Of course this will probably get dumped on, but never mind.

I'm so tired of the "synth years" bullshit.

Who cares. It is what it is. Either be a fan and embrace the records or piss off!

Sorry I can't take it anymore.

I love every Rush record until "Test For Echo." Then the stinker "Vapor Trails" came out.

It's just my opinion which means nothing to the big scheme of things.

Rush fans who rip "Power Windows" apart are not Rush fans.

Then again who cares.

I guess you have to be a drummer to love "Grand Designs."

EPIC tune.

Fuckk it.

RUSH f***ing RULES!

FUCKK ALL THE FAKE RUSH FANS WHO HARBOR ON HERE! JMO

LOVE ALL MY FRIENDS ON HERE THOUGH!

• Like 1

Who cares. It is what it is. Either be a fan and embrace the records or piss off!

I love every Rush record until "Test For Echo." Then the stinker "Vapor Trails" came out.

Then again who cares.

EPIC tune.

Fuckk it.

RUSH f***ing RULES!

Agreed 100%!

I honestly think Grace Under Pressure through to Presto is a phenomenal run of AMAZING pop rock albums! Seriously...agreed.

Like what you like, but at least show some respect for the synth era fans every now and then. I remember when I struggled with Hemispheres and everyone was on my case it seemed. I now love the album, but still not as much as others. So what? My Rush experience is not anybody else's!

Although I do wish I enjoyed Signals more. Boy I do, coz then the run of 9-10/10 albums would last from Caress Of Steel all the way through to Presto for me.

I still really like Signals...The Weapon, New World Man, Losing It, Countdown...awesome stuff!

Signals is very bland sounding, in neither like the majority of the keyboard work, and Alex has very few interesting moments IN MY OPINION.

Not gonna dump on you, but I strongly disagree about Alex on that album. I think Signals has some of his most interesting work, it's just pushed too far back.

Then again who cares.

EPIC tune.

Fuckk it.

RUSH f***ing RULES!

I still love you Earl. That will never change. But after GUP Rush really went downhill. I'm glad that they turned it around at the end though. :cheers:

I was on board till you started hating on HYF. Some day when this planet is a planet of apes an ancient astronaut will find HYF in the ruins of the city. The truth will be revealed.

Geddy said it himself on BTLS. They're all Rush albums. Some of them are better Rush albums.

HYF is at the very bottom IMO.

Not gonna dump on you, but I strongly disagree about Alex on that album. I think Signals has some of his most interesting work, it's just pushed too far back.

Sorry I didn't make my point clear, this is what I meant! He was more obviously noticeable on MP, and when I have patience I do find much to enjoy on Signals. But for whatever reason, I view Signals as a minor warm up for better albums to come in this new direction, and losing Terrt Brown was the best decision they could have made.

Edited by Segue Myles

Instead of calling it the synth era, we should be calling it the "Wimpy Guitar" era.

More like the "Alex gets screwed" era...

In my opinion his best guitar work was during this era, name a decent guitar solo on VP there isn't one?

• Like 1

Let me fix this for you. The Synth Era clearly begins with Signals and ends with HYF. Presto has synth, sure, but it's not prominent -- it's at about the same level as prior to MP.

VITAL SIGNS: Essential Synth-Era Rush

Signals (full album)

Grace Under Pressure (full album)

Power Windows (full album)

Hold Your Fire (full album)

That should do it. :)

Love it!!!

Time to dump!!! Subdivisions (awesome solo), Analogue Kid (awesome solo), Chemistry (awesome solo), Digital Man (decent solo), The Weapon (awesome solo). Forgive me but a guy mentioned Planet Of The Apes earlier judging by this post you must be on one! I challenge you to listen to this album in it's entireity and listen properly.

Edited by Lock And Key

If we want to get really technical, let's talk about the synthesizer work on the earlier albums? A Farewell to Kings used quite a bit of mini moog, and Permanent Waves had its share as well. Where do those albums fit in regarding the supposed "synth era?"

Of course the answer is: they don't. My point is that throughout the career of the band, Rush was simply utilizing the tools available to them to create cutting edge music, constantly reinventing whenever they needed to. So some parts of Rush history happen to have more synth than others. No big deal. No need to definitively draw a line with regard to the beginning and end of the so called "synth era."

If we want to get really technical, let's talk about the synthesizer work on the earlier albums? A Farewell to Kings used quite a bit of mini moog, and Permanent Waves had its share as well. Where do those albums fit in regarding the supposed "synth era?"

No need to definitively draw a line with regard to the beginning and end of the so called "synth era."

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/9c/9c4b24cc1cb6bc910e517e0b1fcb0671acf8bbcbf69bbda0e5d723455374bfd7.jpg

Edited by JohnRogers

No need to definitively draw a line with regard to the beginning and end of the so called "synth era."

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/9c/9c4b24cc1cb6bc910e517e0b1fcb0671acf8bbcbf69bbda0e5d723455374bfd7.jpg

I read that with Picards voice in my brain. The line must be drawn HE YA!

• Like 1

Signals. I remember the day it came out. It was so sifferent from what came before.

That's when the synth era started... regardless of producer.

I'd even say that Vital Signs was the first synth song. Or maybe an experiment in same.

Grace Under Pressure is when synth became the fourth instrument on par with Bass, Drums and Guitar. Prior synth was more of a light topping. While they started pulling back on synth with Counterparts it was not regulated to second class status again until Vapor Trails.

Now since I am the only one teaching a community college course on the Rush Synth Era we can stop all this silly debate.

• Like 1

No disrespect, but light topping? Alex was complaining that he had to cut through the synths on Subs. Countdown? I think Geddy plays just as much keyboards as he does bass.

But the rest of the songs... OK, maybe they aren't as synth 'heavy'. But you can hear the change in direction on that record. I still think the Synth Era starts with either Subs or Vital, 1 record back.

Signals was a change in direction, a start down a road in the dark we could not see. Grace Under Pressure was a car traveling down that same road pulling over to let the driver vomit synthesizers on the road. Edited by JohnRogers

Grace Under Pressure is when synth became the fourth instrument on par with Bass, Drums and Guitar. Prior synth was more of a light topping. While they started pulling back on synth with Counterparts it was not regulated to second class status again until Vapor Trails.

Now since I am the only one teaching a community college course on the Rush Synth Era we can stop all this silly debate.

Well I'm 6 foot 5 and I eat punks Like you for breakfast.

Next thing you are gong to tell me Permanent Waves is a 70s album.

I have never considered signals to be synth era and to me its debateable if gup is either.

Both of those discs whole having more and more keys were real heavy on the reggae influences.

I cant recall any reggae influence post gup at this moment?

Imo the end the reggae era is the begining of the synth years.

I agree with you completely on signals. never classified it as synth era, but rather in the PeW/MP era (which for the record also has those reggae influences you speak of).

Edited by greg2112