Clockwork Angels

Na na na

Presto is rock

Lite rock. Should be lumped in with Elton John and Billy Joel. Which has its' place, just not in the discography of a band as transcendently great as Rush.

See, to my ears, it is a great Rush album.

Your view on Presto is, oddly enough, my view of the next two albums (which have moments of greatness).

The anarchist

Headlong flight

The wreckers

Caravan

Carnies

BU2B

Are all fantastic

Clockwork Angels is good but a notch below for me.

I'm not into the garden as much as some here.

My 2¢

That's a good start. John V and I were discussing the merits of SCOG and how it's so maligned. I love that song about as much as HF...I know, weird

I love 7COG too. Everything besides BU2B2 is enjoyable, unlike its' predecessor.

Good late career album. But it's doesn't touch any of the classic 75 to 85 output. I'm honestly baffled as to how anyone can place it in the top 5.

^^^^ This but I would add 74' in as well. Just my opinion. I would listen to The Debut over CA twice on Sundays and the rest of the week of course...

I have CA in my car , and I listened to it again recently. I'm trying like hell to have it take hold, but it isn't. I enjoy it . Don't dislike it. But it doesn't stay with me. As a comparison, HYF took a while to grab me. But when it did, I loved it. Maybe CA will as well. But I don't think so.

Agreed on HYF. After never hearing it for all those many many years and thinking Mission would be the only song on it that I would truly love, man was I wrong. It didn't take that many listens either to take hold. The first eight there isn't a skipper in the bunch. The last two I just can't listen to and have tried...

First eight, it's one of my favorite Rush albums, and I'm a Signals to Rush backwards guy, primarily. But those last two songs http://www.shootersloft.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/dead.gif

^^^ Well said and the visual is spot on...

Presto is rock

Lite rock. Should be lumped in with Elton John and Billy Joel. Which has its' place, just not in the discography of a band as transcendently great as Rush.

Your view on Presto is, oddly enough, my view of the next two albums (which have moments of greatness).

Dreamline is the moment of greatness on RTB. I like RTB too despite my better judgment. Not sure what on CP would qualify as a moment of greatness.

• Like 3

Presto is rock

Dreamline is the moment of greatness on RTB. I like RTB too despite my better judgment. Not sure what on CP would qualify as a moment of greatness.

Ghost of a chance is underrated imo. Cp? Leave that thing alone or between sun and moon?

• Like 1

This is clearly on of Rush defining moments, pure gold, on of their best albums.

Masterpiece :rush:

For the life of me, I don't understand why people don't get it. You hear "oh the wall of sound. I can't listen to such bad production" or, "it sounds like stuff they've done before".

For those who can't stand the wall of sound, or production not recorded on Terry Brown's soundboard circa 76-82, have some of this

some wine

http://i658.photobucket.com/albums/uu304/homersimpson239/Mobile%20Uploads/9best.jpg

and some cheese

http://i658.photobucket.com/albums/uu304/homersimpson239/Mobile%20Uploads/AnthemCheese-1.jpg

• Like 3

Presto is rock

I love Cold Fire and Everyday Glory. I also enjoy off of RTB: Dreamline, Bravado, RTB and Big Wheel. But otherwise, both albums are mediocre.

This is clearly on of Rush defining moments, pure gold, on of their best albums.

For the life of me, I don't understand why people don't get it. You hear "oh the wall of sound. I can't listen to such bad production" or, "it sounds like stuff they've done before".

For those who can't stand the wall of sound, or production not recorded on Terry Brown's soundboard circa 76-82, have some of this

some wine

http://i658.photobucket.com/albums/uu304/homersimpson239/Mobile%20Uploads/9best.jpg

and some cheese

http://i658.photobucket.com/albums/uu304/homersimpson239/Mobile%20Uploads/AnthemCheese-1.jpg

Dude, remember that we think the same when you disagree with us.

• Like 1

some wine

and some cheese

I think it WOULD be better with a little more variety in loudness and some additional space in the mix but it's not as bad as vapor trails and the songs are better. The CA songs sound so much better live but it's not a biggie for me.

• Like 1

Presto is rock

Most of the album. It's pure hard rock, but not derivative crap like the first album. Rush with balls again. Cut To The Chase alone is worth price of admission.

But my praises for Counterparts often falls on deaf ears. More for me.

Anyways.

Clockwork Angels, apart from Counterparts in my opinion, is their finest album since Grace Under Pressure, which is one of their absolute greatest records. I'll admit Wish Them Well isn't that great, I don't think it's terrible. It's the least good. Ignore BU2B2, and you have an album full of excellence. Title track, The Anarchist, and Headlong Flight show the boys are capable of writing top notch balls to the wall progressive hard rock. Halo Effect and The Garden are beautiful tracks, and the strings are a great addition to their songwriting repertoire. Alex's guitar solo in The Garden might be the best solo he's played since stuff on Test For Echo.

The production is an understandable gripe. They went overboard with all the layering. Snakes And Arrows has a similar recording style from Nick, but it has a lot more sense of space. CA could've done with a lot less layering, but it definitely sounds better than any of Rupert Hine's neutered and lame produced albums, Test For Echo, and of course the original Vapor Trails.

This'll probably be the last full album backed by a tour with the boys. You can't really ask for a better and more feasible way to wrap up your career than to put this beauty out.

• Like 5

I love Zumbi more than anyone here. :hail:

I love zumbi!

I have OCD...channel them on him and he will need to get a court order!

Top that

I'm not drunk enough yet. Give me 2 hours.

:hail: :hail: :hail:

OK I've posted his name twice, in the TRF members A-Z thread. :P

I agree. CA is a vibrant artistic statement from the boys that has a sense of energy & enthusiasm and great playing (especially Neil, his best work in many albums).

2112, 'Spheres, Moving Pictures, PoW & CA are to me the albums that capture the best of each phase of Rush's career.

• Like 4

I'm digging a lot of the material on it. I never really sat down and gave it "the listen" but hearing it again, I really like some of the material on it especially The Wreckers and the title track.

I consider The Wreckers one of the real stinkaroos. That and Wish Them Well. P.U. Just my opinion of course. Enjoy...

No worries. The Garden is the one I had hopes for after the nice intro. Didn't do it for me. It did make a nice Record Store Day item though.

The Garden is really mostly for the older folks who have a habit of reflecting on what in the heck they have done during their lives that is meaningful. Not sure if you are in the geriatric club yet... :codger:

Depresses the he(( outta me. :LOL:

• Like 1

Good late career album. But it's doesn't touch any of the classic 75 to 85 output. I'm honestly baffled as to how anyone can place it in the top 5.

^^^^ This but I would add 74' in as well. Just my opinion. I would listen to The Debut over CA twice on Sundays and the rest of the week of course...

I have CA in my car , and I listened to it again recently. I'm trying like hell to have it take hold, but it isn't. I enjoy it . Don't dislike it. But it doesn't stay with me. As a comparison, HYF took a while to grab me. But when it did, I loved it. Maybe CA will as well. But I don't think so.

Agreed on HYF. After never hearing it for all those many many years and thinking Mission would be the only song on it that I would truly love, man was I wrong. It didn't take that many listens either to take hold. The first eight there isn't a skipper in the bunch. The last two I just can't listen to and have tried...

First eight, it's one of my favorite Rush albums, and I'm a Signals to Rush backwards guy, primarily. But those last two songs http://www.shootersloft.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/dead.gif

^^^ Well said and the visual is spot on...

High Water is one of their most underrated songs. Do not get the hate.

• Like 1

An album I really enjoy listening to. I certainly wasn't expecting something that good so late in their career. It's album that I've had on reasonably regular play since its release. There seemed to be genuine enthusiasm and a sense of pride from the band when playing it live as well, which, to me, elevated the songs above their studio versions, really passionate and energetic. One of my favourites.
  • Like 3

Counterparts, HYF and Vapor Trails are superior IMO, with Presto there as well.

CA has just never grabbed me. Geddys vocals and all the layering annoys me. Even with the shoddy production on VT, I think the songs are stronger. Secret Touch, Earthshine , Peacable Kingdom ..

:goodone: Edited by goose
  • Like 1

I gave it a listen yesterday.....to be fair. cause it had been a while. this album does not deserve it's high praise. no where near it. now it's fans will tell me otherwise but it's what my ears hear.

production aside it's just weak material filler loaded.

Caravan

BU2B

Carnies

Seven Cities

Halo Effect

Wish them Well

The Garden

I mean Wow, lol

Mick

• Like 1

I gave it a listen yesterday.....to be fair. cause it had been a while. this album does not deserve it's high praise. no where near it. now it's fans will tell me otherwise but it's what my ears hear.

production aside it's just weak material filler loaded.

Caravan

BU2B

Carnies

Seven Cities

Halo Effect

Wish them Well

The Garden

I mean Wow, lol

Mick

What are seven songs better than virtually anything from the previous 25 years, Alex.

• Like 3