Clockwork Angels

Na na na

I gave it a listen yesterday.....to be fair. cause it had been a while. this album does not deserve it's high praise. no where near it. now it's fans will tell me otherwise but it's what my ears hear.

production aside it's just weak material filler loaded.

Caravan

BU2B

Carnies

Seven Cities

Halo Effect

Wish them Well

The Garden

I mean Wow, lol

Mick

What are seven songs better than virtually anything from the previous 25 years, Alex.

oh i'm sorry incorrect we were looking for stains on a career.

lol

Mick

• Like 2

This is clearly on of Rush defining moments, pure gold, on of their best albums.

I agree. CA is a vibrant artistic statement from the boys that has a sense of energy & enthusiasm and great playing (especially Neil, his best work in many albums).

2112, 'Spheres, Moving Pictures, PoW & CA are to me the albums that capture the best of each phase of Rush's career.

Add in Counterparts, and that's one hell of a list! I could change from Power Windows to Grace Under Pressure, but yes, to me, those albums symbolize the best of the best from each era of Rush.

On the note of Neil's drumming, I agree that CA has some of his best drumming in years, but I can't ignore his drumming on Snakes and Arrows. He was a lot more inventive on that one, such as on The Main Monkey Business.

• Like 2

This is clearly on of Rush defining moments, pure gold, on of their best albums.

I agree. CA is a vibrant artistic statement from the boys that has a sense of energy & enthusiasm and great playing (especially Neil, his best work in many albums).

2112, 'Spheres, Moving Pictures, PoW & CA are to me the albums that capture the best of each phase of Rush's career.

Add in Counterparts, and that's one hell of a list! I could change from Power Windows to Grace Under Pressure, but yes, to me, those albums symbolize the best of the best from each era of Rush.

On the note of Neil's drumming, I agree that CA has some of his best drumming in years, but I can't ignore his drumming on Snakes and Arrows. He was a lot more inventive on that one, such as on The Main Monkey Business.

I love his drumming on TMMB.

awesome stuff.

Mick

• Like 1

I gave it a listen yesterday.....to be fair. cause it had been a while. this album does not deserve it's high praise. no where near it. now it's fans will tell me otherwise but it's what my ears hear.

Caravan

BU2B

Carnies

Seven Cities

Halo Effect

Wish them Well

The Garden

I mean Wow, lol

Mick

What are seven songs better than virtually anything from the previous 25 years, Alex.

lol

Mick

You mean the S&A thread?

Caravan

BU2B

Carnies

Seven Cities

Halo Effect

Wish them Well

The Garden

I mean Wow, lol

Mick

lol

Mick

You mean the S&A thread?

Presto.

• Like 2

Caravan

BU2B

Carnies

Seven Cities

Halo Effect

Wish them Well

The Garden

I mean Wow, lol

Mick

lol

Mick

You mean the S&A thread?

Presto.

11 of one, 13 of the other.

As long as they don't darken the playlist...

Caravan

BU2B

Carnies

Seven Cities

Halo Effect

Wish them Well

The Garden

I mean Wow, lol

Mick

lol

Mick

You mean the S&A thread?

Presto.

I liked it cause you like Snakes.

Mick

Clockwork Angels is a sheer masterpiece, entirely deserving of a shared #1 slot with MP and PeW.

See there you went a step to far...IMHO. CA continues the band on a path fans have been asking for since the success of the synth era.

• Like 1

Caravan

BU2B

Carnies

Seven Cities

Halo Effect

Wish them Well

The Garden

I mean Wow, lol

Mick

Mick I'd never peg you for a gashuffer, but this post proves it

• Like 2

Clockwork Angels is a sheer masterpiece, entirely deserving of a shared #1 slot with MP and PeW.

See there you went a step to far...IMHO. CA continues the band on a path fans have been asking for since the success of the synth era.

Success of what?

The synth era sold a lot of records, gave us a lot of great songs, brought the band many new fans. That is success.

The synth era sold a lot of records, gave us a lot of great songs, brought the band many new fans. That is success.

What great songs?

And it also LOST them a lot of fans, as many have testified here.

Edited by laughedatbytime

The most overrated Rush album by far. A few good songs, the rest is meh or decent at best.

I like the concept and return to epic storytelling but I get about a minute into the songs and lose interest once Geddy and his aging voice kick in and skip to the next track. I appreciate the effort they clearly made for CA,but seems to me that Rush is way better at coming up with riffs and parts but not so good at making them into cohesive memorable songs. And there are so many songs that I can't understand a single word Geddy is singing. There's a part in the title track where he sounds like he's singing though a speaker phone (like the verses in the studio How It Is) and it's pretty offputting.

Edited by jnoble
  • Like 1

Caravan

BU2B

Carnies

Seven Cities

Halo Effect

Wish them Well

The Garden

I mean Wow, lol

Mick

oh TM......3 years of CA has basically lobotomized you......poor bud.

lol

Mick

• Like 2

Caravan

BU2B

Carnies

Seven Cities

Halo Effect

Wish them Well

The Garden

I mean Wow, lol

Mick

lol

Mick

Fair enough.

• Like 1

Caravan

BU2B

Carnies

Seven Cities

Halo Effect

Wish them Well

The Garden

I mean Wow, lol

Mick

lol

Mick

Fair enough.

:hug2:

love ya man.

Mick

• Like 1

The most overrated Rush album by far. A few good songs, the rest is meh or decent at best.

Couldn't agree more. Most songs aren't any good and the production is so bad, I can't stand listening to it...

If it was the only Rush album I ever heard, I'd think this band sucks, let's put it that way.

Edited by Tuesday's Gone
  • Like 2

Couldn't agree more. Most songs aren't any good and the production is so bad, I can't stand listening to it...

If it was the only Rush album I ever heard, I'd think this band sucks, let's put it that way.

This is how I feel about Presto & RTB. If I'd never heard of Rush and someone played me those two albums I'd never bother to listen to them again.

• Like 1

Bottom line:

CA is a solid album marred by a crappy mix.

Thanks Nick. Thanks alot.

Marred is going too far.

Still their best, by far, since p/g and maybe even MP.

• Like 3

Bottom line:

Brilliant album hampered by crappy mix...

How about this: Masterpiece mixed in a manner that makes some picky fans, yearning for the long gone TB era, uncomfortable because they're afraid of new soundscapes from Rush

• Like 7

Bottom line:

How about this: Masterpiece mixed in a manner that makes some picky fans, yearning for the long gone TB era, uncomfortable because they're afraid of new soundscapes from Rush

Or masterpiece mixed in a manner that it gives some synthy fans, yearning for the long gone synth dominated material, uncomfortable because they're afraid of guitar based Rush and would rather have them sound like neutered Mister Mister like sap.

• Like 6

Bottom line:

Or masterpiece mixed in a manner that it gives some synthy fans, yearning for the long gone synth dominated material, uncomfortable because they're afraid of guitar based Rush and would rather have them sound like neutered Mister Mister like sap.

The last two posts about cover it.

• Like 1

Let's bring this out of the dust bin. TonyR always plays fair

QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Jul 24 2012, 08:57 AM) A Rush Forum member's review is always an entertaining read. This review is by none other than Tony R, Came from a great website, check it out.

I've been a strong critic of post-Signals Rush for a long time and a subscriber to the Brit Rush Fan mantra: "Old Rush good, new Rush bad". On hearing 2008's "Snakes & Arrows" I was originally quite impressed but after the initial honeymoon period I rarely play it, if ever. It lacks those "moments" that can elevate an album and demand you to play it over and over again. In 2010 Rush took the step of releasing two new tracks; Caravan and BU2B (Brought Up To Believe) and I was disappointed. These were rush-released to give the band something to tour on, as they prefer to have new material to play (though they also played "Moving Pictures" in its entirety hence "Time Machine Tour") and many fans were unimpressed but intrigued that these tracks were the first two of a complete concept album, as, surprisingly, Rush has never recorded a full concept album. The theme would be based on Steampunk, a sort of futuristic Jules Verne meets HG Wells world of Victorian aesthetic and there would be strings on some of the tracks. Hmmm. Headlong Flight is subsequently released as a single as a teaser for the album and again I am unimpressed. So 5 stars, where did they come from?

Clockwork Angels is a concept album and as such should be viewed as a whole and listened to in its entirety in one sitting. Probably inspired, or emboldened at least, by the relative success of Porcupine Tree's "The Incident" (Peart made reference to that album prior to recording) this is a definitive Rush album wherein the sum is greater than the parts. It is not perfect; Lee's vocals at times are grating, and there is still too much reliance on the "verse, chorus, verse, chorus, chorus, chorus", but as a modern Heavy Prog album it is a triumph.

Each track is connected by a short atmospheric intro but other than that there are no real re-occurring musical themes (except, of course, BU2B2). Lyrically we get Peart's usual musing on individualism, blind faith, integrity, order and chaos and Dawkinsism and it is often difficult to decipher the story that will evolve into a novel via Peart's collaboration with scifi writer Kevin J Anderson.

Musically we are treated to enormous riffs, kenetic bass-playing and some of Peart's best drum work in decades. Standout tracks are Clockwork Angels, Carnies, The Wreckers andThe Garden, the latter being quite unlike any previous Rush track with its lush strings, plaintive guitar and soothing, beautiful melody and is an instant Rush classic. Tracks that I initially couldn't take to, the aforementioned Caravan, BU2B (terrible title) and Headlong Flight work well within the overall album - Headlong Flight in particular is a rip-roaring monster of a track propelling the album forward with huge guitar sounds, frenetic drums and echoes of "Bastille Day" and "Bytor". There are a couple of tracks, though not terrible, are not quite up to the standard of the rest; Seven Cities Of Gold which features an atrocious vocal and Wish Them Well a mundane track that was apparently re-written several times this proving that a watched pot never boils. However when it is bad Clockwork Angels is merely average but when it is good it is brilliant so please do not argue with my 5 star rating.

This could be the best Rush album since "Moving Pictures", it is certainly on a par with "Signals" and was rewarded by reaching #2 in the Official US Album Chart, quite a feat by the un-hippest rock band on the planet.There are strings on quite a few tracks and the band intends to take a small string section on their huge worldwide "Clockwork Angels" Tour in 2012 and 2013, I suggest you rush out and acquire tickets now

http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=792040

Now THIS is a review...bare arsed and honest!!!

• Like 2