Lifeson and Peart On Ecstasy, who knew? Coke and Cannabis Too

Tony R

Great story from Ace Frehley's ( KISS ) book "No Regrets" ( ... actual photo of Alex circa 1975 )

"I have so many road stories, but one that always comes to mind is the tour we did in the summer of 1975 with Rush opening for us. I always liked Rush (and still do). After a few weeks on tour I started to get to know the guys in the band, and their very funny tour manager, Howie. One thing led to another and before long Peter and I were getting visits from the Rush boys. It usually turned into late evenings filled with beer and grass and whatever else was around. Alex Lifeson, the band's guitarist, used to do this hysterical routine with a large paper laundry bag. He'd draw a ridiculous giant face on the bag with a black marker and put it over his head with a couple of holes poked in it so he could see and breathe. Everyone in the room at this point was either drunk or stoned, but usually a little of both. Anyway, Alex would go into this routine with the bag over his head and while smoking a joint out of his eye he put everyone into total hysterics. He really milked the routine until everyone was gasping for air!"

http://www.rushisaband.com/images/201111/2077.f.jpg

• Like 7

And page 38 as well.

http://i.imgur.com/0zwN53d.png

I guess I am missing something??? Is there a page 39, 40 and 41, or are they ads? There seems to be some text missing between Alex and Geddy?? Thanks!

If you have access to Counterparts message the full article is linked here: http://rushmessageboard.com/index.php?/topic/3312-interview-in-classic-rock-magazine/

Otherwise most of it is here: http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?/topic/93529-the-real-reason-this-is-the-last-major-tour-this-is-not-a-joke/page__st__100

:)

• Like 2

Because I read on here relatively recently some fanboy types declaring that no way would Rush have done drugs.

LOL. Come on. People said that?

You don't create works like CoS, AFTK, and 2112 without a little astral help. ;)

• Like 1

Because I read on here relatively recently some fanboy types declaring that no way would Rush have done drugs.

LOL. Come on. People said that?

You don't create a work like HEMIspheres without a little astral help. ;)

Fixed that for ya. ;)

And page 38 as well.

http://i.imgur.com/0zwN53d.png

I guess I am missing something??? Is there a page 39, 40 and 41, or are they ads? There seems to be some text missing between Alex and Geddy?? Thanks!

If you have access to Counterparts message the full article is linked here: http://rushmessagebo...-rock-magazine/

Otherwise most of it is here: http://www.therushfo...e/page__st__100

:)

OK, I found it on CP, thanks! Very interesting!

All of this is interesting to note, I guess...it's just not an aspect of the band's lives that I'm concerned with at all.

I have never once, in the 35 years of listening to their music, said it even thought to myself, aww, yeah, you know they were high when they wrote that!

It's just not something I've ever been focused on, in the least. (Not even when I drugged and boozed, myself).

They are human beings, and should be able to do things that human beings do, without being held up to spectacle or scrutiny or anything else- in the pages of a magazine, or on an Internet fan forum, or anywhere.

I care about the music they've made, and that they've satisfied themselves, both personally and professionally. They don't know me from Nebuchadnezzar, but they've certainly been a huge part of my life. Bless 'em.

• Like 4

I have never once, in the 35 years of listening to their music, said it even thought to myself, aww, yeah, you know they were high when they wrote that!

Me neither. I've always seen them as amazingly gifted and creative songwriters.

• Like 1

All of this is interesting to note, I guess...it's just not an aspect of the band's lives that I'm concerned with at all.

It's just not something I've ever been focused on, in the least. (Not even when I drugged and boozed, myself).

They are human beings, and should be able to do things that human beings do, without being held up to spectacle or scrutiny or anything else- in the pages of a magazine, or on an Internet fan forum, or anywhere.

I care about the music they've made, and that they've satisfied themselves, both personally and professionally. They don't know me from Nebuchadnezzar, but they've certainly been a huge part of my life. Bless 'em.

Yeah I never thought about it either. You always kind of figured if they were musicians that they had at least experimented with stuff. It was never any big deal unless someone got in the news for it.

Ecstasy, eh? Wouldn't of guessed.

Neil and coke has been common knowledge here.

I'm surprised to read geddy gave everything, including pot, up a long time ago.

This all coming from a squeaky clean drug-free 22 year old who only indulges in alcohol.

Who cares ?

This all coming from a squeaky clean drug-free 22 year old who only indulges in alcohol.

Alcohol is a drug too you know ? Just because it's legal doesn't mean it's not a drug.

I've heard so many people who drink alcohol, smoke tobacco and drink coffee saying "I don't do drugs" ahah

Edited by Tuesday's Gone
  • Like 6

Who cares ?

Alcohol is a drug too you know ? Just because it's legal doesn't mean it's not a drug.

I've heard so many people who drink alcohol, smoke tobacco and drink coffee saying "I don't do drugs" ahah

I do love my coffee. That is the one vice I'm not prepared to give up. All of the others, I had to.

But that's just me.

By the way, I just want to make myself clear because I just realized my message might have come across as a "Don't do drugs, it's bad", I don't think there's anything wrong with for example drinking coffee or alcohol or smoking weed if you want to. That wasn't my point ;) Edited by Tuesday's Gone

By the way, I just want to make myself clear because I just realized my message might have come across as a "Don't do drugs, it's bad", I don't think there's anything wrong with for example drinking coffee or alcohol or smoking weed if you want to. That wasn't my point ;)

I have no problem with people doing drugs, whether it's caffeine, weed, or something harder. The problems come from people driving (or whatever) while intoxicated, and getting the wrong drug or using too much of it. I'll go one step further and say recreational drugs should be legalized. That way drugs will be regulated, people will know what they are getting, and they will know how much to take without overdose. It will also remove many people from prisons, and remove the "forbidden fruit" aspect of doing drugs, meaning that there are some people that do drugs mostly because they like the feeling of doing something illegal and that wouldn't happen anymore.

• Like 5

By the way, I just want to make myself clear because I just realized my message might have come across as a "Don't do drugs, it's bad", I don't think there's anything wrong with for example drinking coffee or alcohol or smoking weed if you want to. That wasn't my point ;)

Your point is a good point. Alcohol is the most frequently used (and abused) recreational drug in the country. No preaching....just stating the facts.

I have no problem with people doing drugs, whether it's caffeine, weed, or something harder. The problems come from people driving (or whatever) while intoxicated, and getting the wrong drug or using too much of it. I'll go one step further and say recreational drugs should be legalized. That way drugs will be regulated, people will know what they are getting, and they will know how much to take without overdose. It will also remove many people from prisons, and remove the "forbidden fruit" aspect of doing drugs, meaning that there are some people that do drugs mostly because they like the feeling of doing something illegal and that wouldn't happen anymore.

:goodone: we have exactly the same opinion then but I didn't share my thoughts too much because I didn't feel like starting a political conversation which is often a bad idea on forums in my experience ahah

• Like 2

Your point is a good point. Alcohol is the most frequently used (and abused) recreational drug in the country. No preaching....just stating the facts.

Right up there with caffeine, which can make people just about as nutty as alcohol.

-signed,

A Mountain Dewaholic

• Like 1

Right up there with caffeine, which can make people just about as nutty as alcohol.

-signed,

A Mountain Dewaholic

Haha. Back in the day, in Canada Mountain Dew didn't have caffeine in it (it might now, I don't know), so I was always confused when I'd see US commercials with extreme sports and DEW DEW DEW kind of caffeinated intensity. :)

• Like 1

-signed,

A Mountain Dewaholic

Haha. Back in the day, in Canada Mountain Dew didn't have caffeine in it (it might now, I don't know), so I was always confused when I'd see US commercials with extreme sports and DEW DEW DEW kind of caffeinated intensity. :)

Interesting. They actually make a non-caffeinated version of Mtn. Dew and I've had it a few times. Tastes just the same but I would imagine it doesn't sell very well. It's hard to find.

• Like 1

Me neither. I've always seen them as amazingly gifted and creative songwriters.

Never? Not even when hearing A Passage to Bangkok? That's surprising.
  • Like 1

I'll go one step further and say recreational drugs should be legalized. That way drugs will be regulated, people will know what they are getting, and they will know how much to take without overdose.

There's a lot of truth to this statement. Not saying that hard drugs are good, but the bigger problem occurs when they are cut and mixed with other things.

Keith Richards credits the fact that he's still alive after so many years of massive cocaine usage to the fat that he never did street coke. It was always pharmaceutical grade stuff.