Does anyone else LIKE Feedback?

TexMike

I've never heard Feedback and I have no intention of ever listening to it.

How come? If you don't mind me asking. Feedback will never be a favorite of mine but I'm glad they released it. I think it's cool hearing the band revisit the songs they played before becoming rock gods.

I don't like that sort of music and I didn't want listening to Rush music I don't like to discolor my enjoyment of other songs. Just because I like Rush doesn't mean I like everything they like.

I like it more than some of their studio albums. I've never understood the venom some fans spew at it. They were having fun, returning to their awed adolescence. What's the big deal?

Do those of you who hate it have a strict no-covers policy for bands you like, not like Rush in particular playing covers, or simply just not like the execution? Or some combination thereof?

• Like 2

I like it more than some of their studio albums. I've never understood the venom some fans spew at it. They were having fun, returning to their awed adolescence. What's the big deal?

Do those of you who hate it have a strict no-covers policy for bands you like, not like Rush in particular playing covers, or simply just not like the execution? Or some combination thereof?

For me it's like this: I generally like covers a lot, but I'm not a fan of the song selection nor the execution of the covers
  • Like 1

I would normally have a mild interest in hearing it but with such a deep catalogue of unplayed material, I was irritated with 15 minutes of concert time used on the R30 tour, so I decided not to buy Feedback. I would have a little more interest if they recorded some progressive favorites as far as buying an album.

I don't like the album or the concept. If they made the covers more Rush-like maybe....I like the Yes version of America because they stripped everything Paul Simon from the song a made it theirs. Ditto Hendrix and Watchtower.

I think the covers offered the band a way to do some 'ordinary' rock, without affecting the Rush trademark feel.

Me personally, i'd love to see the guys make a self-written album of this ordinary pure rock music. Vapor trails is as close as they ever got to pure rock with neil at the helm in my view, and i'd love to see the guys shake off all the rush baggage (which is brilliant obvs) and maybe lose the progressive aspect of their work.

I mean listen to some of the tracks on feedback like mr soul or whatever blows your skirt up and its all there, but heck i'd be happy with a folk album from these guys we know they could do it Al's great on his accordion or mandola or whatevs something a little ordinary would be real different for rush.

I wish they had added the cover of 'The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald' after that booze filled session.
  • Like 2

I like it a lot. It happens to be the first Rush album I bought, took my sister to R30 for her birthday and I enjoyed their versions so much I bought it at intermission. I am a big Yardbirds & Buffalo Springfield fan. I listen to it a couple of times a year. I get it that it didn't appeal to most Rush fans but I thought it was cool and it started me on to my obsession with Rush today
  • Like 1

I like Feedback. I think it's a great covers album. Most of the covers I actually prefer to the originals. I'd never rank it with any of their other studio releases, but it's better than most of Vapor Trails!

I think Feedback was just them having fun playing songs that they grew up with. I love their version of Shapes of Things. However, that said, if you haven't heard it, it is a good listen if you are bored, and wan't to hear something new, but it's nothing better than most of the RUSH catalog.

Edited by DistantEarlySignals

For me 50/50. I really like the rawness of Summertime Blues and For What it's Worth. But Shapes & Things and Crossroads hmmm....not so much. Crossroads as an encore during the 30th Anniversary Tour was really a partypooper.

For me 50/50. I really like the rawness of Summertime Blues and For What it's Worth. But Shapes & Things and Crossroads hmmm....not so much. Crossroads as an encore during the 30th Anniversary Tour was really a partypooper.

Agreed about Crossroads, and the idea that some of the songs were just too clean to be interesting.

It doesn't deserve to be taken too seriously, but it is a nice little quirk to add to the collection.

I only have it because I bought the Atlantic studio albums box set. Played it twice...twas ok!

It's fine. I got it when it came out in 2004 and I've probably listened to it two or three times in 11 years. When I want to listen to Rush, I'll listen to one of their albums with original material. if I feel like hearing "The Seeker" or "For What It's Worth," I'll play the originals. But Rush's versions aren't bad.

I like Feedback. Not exactly my wish list of Rush covers but still a good selection and very well done. I love the fact that they would pit out an album of cover songs from the late 60s.

It would've been a nice touch if they added a new song to it but done in a circa 1970 style, but that isn't a realistic expectation.

No! I do not, never have, never will call me a purist but I don't think Rush needed to do cover songs. Also I would've much preferred they never wasted tme playing any of the feedback songs live at R-30. I much rather have heard genuine Rush songs in their place.

:finbar:

Edited by Crimsonmistymemory