What You're Doing

Bytor and the Snow-Dog

It's one of their least worst tracks off their worst studio album if that answers your question.

I will say the ATWAS version has a nice groove.

I've always liked the debut because it was the inky thing I had to listen to for 2 months. Really grew on me... The ATWAS version is also really cool, love the added cymbal hits.

What You're Doing > Where's My Thing? > How It Is > The Garden

Made an addition.

As usual, you put it on the wrong end

• Like 3

Bytor you are correct as is LABT. The haters and young folk are just gonna hate. No way around it... :)
  • Like 8

Made an addition.

What You're Doing is a rocking song off a great debut album. The Garden is pretentious pap from a bloated attempt to return to an overrated era of RUSH.

That is all I have to say about that.

• Like 1

Made an addition.

What You're Doing is a rocking song off a great debut album. The Garden is pretentious pap from a bloated attempt to return to an overrated era of RUSH.

You're half right.

• Like 3

Obviously you can't judge the first record by the same standards you judge the later stuff but . . . These were guys with great chops - much better than a lot of other guys their age, I'd say - who were just happy to be making a record. We're told that Rutsy had different ambitions as far as drumming and the kinds of rock music he wanted to make. Good drummer, but with a very different technique, attitude, and message than Peart's. I think that first record's an amazing accomplishment given the circumstances in which it was made--going into a studio in the middle of the night, probably exhausted after playing a long gig, and probably full of the usual doubts that plague you when you're putting yourself out there, making decisions that can't be second guessed because you can't afford to second guess. I look at the first record, and it looks like something made on the cheap - nothing mindblowing about the cover design (that shocking pink!), three greasy-haired nobodys on the back trying to be just a bit glammy (Lee's little star "beauty mark"). But you put the record on - and after you get past the ooh babies and the - let's face it - typical rock lyric "horny teen workin' class think you know what life's about" cliches - you hear some very precise, very compelling hard edged music, with some hints at what is to come later. I'm always blown away by just how good a bass player Lee was already and how strong and energetic a guitar player Lifeson was already. So much energy and optimism. What You're Doing is a fine example. Awesome. Edited by toymaker
  • Like 9

Made an addition.

You're half right.

He's right about The Garden, that's for sure. :LOL:

• Like 1

Made an addition.

You're half right.

Nope.

• Like 4

Made an addition.

You're half right.

Nope.

Yep. :)

Made an addition.

You're half right.

Nope.

Yep. :)

Nuh-uh...:)

What You're Doing is fantastic early RUSH, it rocks and I am proud to crank it LOUD when driving ...

I actually like the studio version better - Rutsey uses the ride more and moves it along great - Neil drags too much on the live version .....

Top 20 RUSH song for me

• Like 5

It's one of their least worst tracks off their worst studio album if that answers your question.

I will say the ATWAS version has a nice groove.

The debut album=Working Man...I couldn't name another song. I really ignore the Rusty era.

it's so memorable i had to look it up.......which is always a fantastic sign for a song, lol

Mick

sorry non-rockers, but this line is reserved for ROCKERS only. so I can't really talk to you right now...

• Like 9

What You're Doing is fantastic early RUSH, it rocks and I am proud to crank it LOUD when driving ...

I actually like the studio version better - Rutsey uses the ride more and moves it along great - Neil drags too much on the live version .....

Top 20 RUSH song for me

I love both the studio and the official live version. I've never thought of Neil dragging, on the live version; I don't hear that. It isn't as precise as the studio version, that's for sure- but that's not due to Neil, it's all three of them. And that's not meant to sound like a criticism at all; it's not. It's a totally balls-out, let-it-all-fly end to a great set, and it totally rocks the house. I love it!

• Like 3

So you think just because you're a fellow Ambassador that you get some kind of Diplomatic Immunity, like the baddie in Lethal Weapon 2?

Well, you're in my jurisdiction now, Mr. City...step away from the Debut with your arms above your head

• Like 2