Rush didnt start for me until 2112!

nicky6

By-Tor and the Snowdog was my gateway drug. It didn't take too long after that to fall in love with their entire catalog at that point. It was a long, painful wait to find out how the Cygnus X-1 story would continue. Looking back it was "only" a year (plus some change) between the release of AFtK and Hemi, but it was agonizing!

Rush started for me with Finding My Way. For a long time Rush didn't include Signals-Presto as that band was a bunch of old pussies who forgot how to rock.

Rush started for me with Finding My Way. For a long time Rush didn't include Signals-Presto as that band was a bunch of old pussies who forgot how to rock.

I didn't get into the first three albums much either starting off. But COS grew to become my favorite. Like you, I pretty much gave up on anything after MP (but still would listen to Signals and GUP occasionally). Still really don't listen to much after MP with the exception of Clockwork Angels along with single tunes that come up when I put Rush on shuffle.

My first album was AFTK, then I bought 2112, FBN and CoS. My friend had the debut album and that was cool too, but it took me a while to get that one. Edited by EagleMoon

By-Tor and the Snowdog was my gateway drug.

Me too. I heard Fly By Night on the radio, so I asked for the album for Christmas. First time I heard By-Tor, I was hooked. :haz:
  • Like 3

I really got into music/Deep Purple when I was about 7 with my older brother's copy of Machine Head. Then 'In Rock', Zeppelin albums and Rush all being filtered through my brother.. Rush albums were ATWAS, MP and ESL.. God I'm so lucky my big bro knew good music, I shudder to think what I might have become otherwise! Lol

The first two albums have their moments (the debut especially is good), CoS is a masterful mess (in a good way), 2112 is uneven with the highest of highs, and generously sized lows.

Then we have AFTK, a masterpiece. Perfection. Hems is perhaps superior but it doesn't move me like I feel it should.

Then the eighties arrive with a streak of seven classic albums, that in my opinion are absolute gold.

So from CoS to Presto, we have what I like to think as the greatest album streak in the history of rock and metal.

2112 is great, but CoS is almost its equal.

The first two albums have their moments (the debut especially is good), CoS is a masterful mess (in a good way), 2112 is uneven with the highest of highs, and generously sized lows.

Then we have AFTK, a masterpiece. Perfection. Hems is perhaps superior but it doesn't move me like I feel it should.

Then the eighties arrive with a streak of seven classic albums, that in my opinion are absolute gold.

So from CoS to Presto, we have what I like to think as the greatest album streak in the history of rock and metal.

AFTK doesn't move me like it should, lol Over a decade and i still feel nothing for it.

Mick

• Like 1

Had a friend put on Working Man from ATWAS to let me hear the drum solo...about a week or two after the album was released (he saw them open for someone prior to that) And the next day I had my mom order that and CoS from Columbia House... I constantly played ATWAS for about a week before I remembered that I had CoS still sitting there...so I started listening to that and was blown away as well!

I got 2112 next...liked it, but was still high on CoS! I "filled in the blanks" with Archives, and still was a CoS fan! AFTK confused me, but I started getting into it after a bit...then when Hemispheres came out...I was definitely blown out of the water!

• Like 1

Rush really didn't kick off for me until Permanent Waves. that one made sit forward in my chair.

Mick

For me as well. Then after Moving Pictures I went back to sample what came before, only 2112 blew me away. Each other album had some nuggets but only 212 was a master piece IMHO.

• Like 1

I like the way you think (well for a bit) If CoS and 2112 were a double album set, and they eliminated I think I'm Going Bald, Lessons, Tears, and Twilight Zone, I think we'd have a winner! hahaha!!!

See my other post about the early stuff...

I have to disagree with your other part, though (just my opinion on it)... I loved up through Moving Pictures...LIKED Signals a lot, and thought GuP was a VERY interesting album...but Power Windows through Roll the Bones really lost me..(Power Windows had moments...HATED HYF except for Turn the Page, Didn't like Presto, and only liked Dreamline on RtB...ok, the Instrumental was good live) I thought they came back with a nice album with Counterparts...and Test for Echo only had Driven that made me go ape sh*t...the rest...eh! (and VT was a nice comeback, thought S&A was amazing, and CA is still growing on me)

My introduction to Rush was my neighbor who had AFTK when it came out. Rush didn't become a big deal to me until Moving Pictures and then I got AFTK too and started exploring the earlier stuff.

I don't care for the first three albums or side two of 2112. I couldn't stand and still can't stand Geddy's early shrieking squirrel vocals. Each of the first 3 albums have a couple of songs I like, but man those vocals are painful to listen to. At least on the 2112 suite the vocals fit in thematically.

But Rush as it was introduced to me included the keyboards, pedals, temple blocks and chimes on AFTK.

Edited by ZivotSon

Oddly enough, the very first Rush song my dad had me listen to was Lock And Key. Quite the odd pick and a VERY deep cut.

The first album I truly loved was Grace Under Pressure. I still love the album to this day. My first taste of live Rush was ATWAS (of course). Now that I look back on it, apart from a few very good live tunes (By-Tor) I am not a fan of ATWAS. If they waited until Hemispheres to record that live album it would be so much better.

After Grace Under Pressure, I started going backwards, and then forwards.

As the ambassadress of 2112, it is my duty to comment here :P.

2112 was truly my introduction to Rush. The album was powerful enough to grab me mentally and emotionally on my first few listens. It has brought me to tears a few times. Every time I give 2112 a resting period, the comeback is hard and very riveting each time. Thank you 2112 for being my gateway drug to the heroin that is Rush.

I was totally into Yes and my brother was a Rush fanatic.

Somehow, someway the sibling rivalry gave out and we both began to appreciate them both.

Although it was about the time of PeW, the album that really kicked me off was AFTK.

I would sneak into his room and borrow his album and blast the title track and Xanadu through my headphones.