Anyone here that doesn't like Hemispheres?

Lorraine

133 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Hemispheres?

The masses are easily misled.

no in this case they're pretty smart, lol

Mick

hey dude i am one of the masses!

Well excuuuuuse me. I never know with YOU!!!!!!!!! :P

Mick

Me neither. Sometimes I wonder if I am nothing more than a bizarre experiment fashioned out of dumbass.

:LOL:

• Like 1

I actually put Hemispheres at their #1 70s album, even ahead of Permanent Waves. Very, very complex and it catches them at their creative peak IMO. No throw away songs.

But I guess I could see if someone considered Hemi as a little too self indulgent. It's not an easy album to get your head around.

I actually put Hemispheres at their #1 70s album, even ahead of Permanent Waves. Very, very complex and it catches them at their creative peak IMO. No throw away songs.

But I guess I could see if someone considered HEMI as a little too self indulgent. It's not an easy album to get your head around.

It can be the number one 70's album since Permanent Waves is the first 80's album. ;)

I'm a Mopar guy so I think they should have just called the album HEMI anyway. :LOL:

Circumstances is growing on me a little bit.

I thought you always liked Circumstances.

Seriously though, if you listen to it long enough, it will grow on you. I ought to know. I despised Snakes & Arrows. I especially despised Spindrift. But I kept listening to the album and most of it grew on me, and Spindrift is one of my favorite songs.

Perseverance, young man!

• Like 1

Definitely among their more ambitious and "proggier" efforts.

Side 1 (Cygnus X-1 Book II) is spectacular, but I have to be in the right mood to really immerse myself in it.

Circumstances and The Trees are both classics, and it's nice that they're both relatively short, to break up the pace of the album!

And last but definitely not least...La Villa Strangiato is a formidable benchmark for musicians to climb, and is perhaps my favorite instrumental -not just from Rush, but from any rock band-of all time.

So yeah...I'd say Hemispheres is a masterpiece of an album.

Edited by Ardent15
  • Like 1

I don't trust anyone who's both anti-Hemispheres and pro-Yankees...sorry, Disk...nothing personal.

P.S. Friends don't let friends wear pinstripes!

You. Did. Not. Just. Go. There.

Edited by Disk98

Definitely among their more ambitious and "proggier" efforts.

Side 1 (Cygnus X-1 Book II) is spectacular, but I have to be in the right mood to really immerse myself in it.

Circumstances and The Trees are both classics, and it's nice that they're both relatively short, to break up the pace of the album!

And last but definitely not least...La Villa Strangiato is a formidable benchmark for musicians to climb, and is perhaps my favorite instrumental -not just from Rush, but from any rock band-of all time.

So yeah...I'd say Hemispheres is a masterpiece of an album.

This. My thoughts exactly.

• Like 1

LOL, count me in as one of the fools who thinks it's overrated....EXCEPT of course for La Villa, which is the greatest instrumental they've ever done...any band's ever done, really.

Hemispheres and Kings, ehh...it was total conceptual ground roots prog, along with 2112, but somehow, 2112 landed solidly and Hemispheres and Kings, more pet projects. Hard to describe.

I dunno, I still say the quad of Waves, MP, Signals, and GuP pretty much defines the core of Rush. Pre PW, they were more experimental, drifting across a new landscape of musicianship heretofore unseen except by fringes of Yes and Floyd. Post GuP...well, it's been hit and miss ever since. I loved SnA. Liked CA. Totally embargoed TFE and VT after a few spins. Power Windows and HYF, a bit overrated by the fan base, but solid enough.. Counterparts probably their best album between GuP and SnA.

Edited by Van Squalen
  • Like 1

LOL, count me in as one of the fools who thinks it's overrated....EXCEPT of course for La Villa, which is the greatest instrumental they've ever done...any band's ever done, really.

Hemispheres and Kings, ehh...it was total conceptual ground roots prog, along with 2112, but somehow, 2112 landed solidly and Hemispheres and Kings, more of a bands' pet projects. Hard to describe.

I dunno, I still say the quad of Waves, MP, Signals, and GuP pretty much defines the core of Rush. Pre PW, they were more experimental, drifting across a new landscape of musicianship heretofore unseen except by fringes of Yes and Floyd. Post GuP...well, it's been hit and miss ever since. I loved SnA. Liked CA. Totally embargoed TFE and VT. Power Windows and HYF, a bit overrated by the fan base, but solid enough.. Counterparts probably their best albums between GuP and SnA.

Pretty close to how I feel about the Kings-Hemi period as well. :goodone: From epic highs to some real goofball, easy-to-mock moments.

Fifty four pages. Remarkable.

Clearly the front runner for Rhetorical Thread of the Year! :notworthy:

Ahh, but of which year? It straddles two different ones.

If it's still going in 2016, then we've really got something.

• Like 1

Sixteen more votes to go. :wub:

Three votes closer since you posted this.

Some people will just hold out to be cantankerous.

I often describe myself exactly that way.

But not where Hemispheres is concerned.

• Like 2

Nine more votes to go! :wub:

And I should get a special prize for starting this thread. Induct me into the TRF Hall of Fame. :) :codger:

And you can thank blah blah blah.... :D

• Like 1