Favorite closing track?

The Analog Cub

73 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite closing track?

• Working Man
    • In The End
    • Fountain of Lamneth
    • Something For Nothing
    • Cygnus X-1
    • La Villa Strangiato
    • Natural Science
    • Vital Signs
    • Countdown
    • Between The Wheels
    • Mystic Rhythms
    • High Water
    • Available Light
    • You Bet Your Life
    • Everyday Glory
    • Carve Away The Stone
    • Out Of The Cradle
    • We Hold On
    • The Garden

If we're talking best song I'd say 'Natural Science'

If we're talking the song that works the best as an album closer I have to go with 'We Hold On' by a long shot..

I'm surprised that Natural Science is running away with this one. It's a very good song, to be sure, but I'm surprised.

What was your prediction? The only other one I can think of dominating this one is La Villa.

I'm surprised that Natural Science is running away with this one. It's a very good song, to be sure, but I'm surprised.

What was your prediction? The only other one I can think of dominating this one is La Villa.

I thought that LVS would crush it, and that The Garden would get a few votes.

After voting in the opening track poll, and now the closing track poll.......I have come to the realization that overall the closing tracks are much stronger than the opening tracks
  • Like 1

I am surprised that The Garden hasn't gotten any votes yet.

2 for Available Light :facepalm:

I am surprised that The Garden hasn't gotten any votes yet.

2 for Available Light :facepalm:

Available Light is a top five song for me. An easy choice.

After voting in the opening track poll, and now the closing track poll.......I have come to the realization that overall the closing tracks are much stronger than the opening tracks

You're right.

Albums where I like the opener better (Album favorites are bold)

Fly By Night

Hemispheres

•Signals

•Power Windows (close though!)

•Hold Your Fire

Roll The Bones

Counterparts

•Test For Echo

•Vapor Trails

•Snakes and Arrows

Albums where I like the closer better (album favorites in bold):

•RUSH (Another close one)

•A Farewell To Kings

Permanent Waves

•Moving Pictures (extremely close)

Grace Under Pressure

Presto

Albums where it is too close to call:

•Caress of Steel (my two favorites)

•2112 (ditto)

•Clockwork Angels

Albums I haven't listened to in months

•Feedback

Edited by len(songs)

This was REALLY difficult. Working Man, La Villa Strangiato, Natural Science, and Between the Wheels are all contenders, but The Garden is really a true closer. Clockwork Angels is a concept album with a very clear and distinct story, which The Garden closes perfectly in terms of lyrics. Musically, it is absolutely beautiful. Call me a ninny, but The Garden is the best closer of any Rush album.

Albums where I like the opener better

Fly By Night

A Farewell to Kings

Permanent Waves (not close)

Moving Pictures (not close)

Signals (crushing landslide)

Grace Under Pressure (blowout)

Power Windows (not even close)

Hold Your Fire (crushing landslide)

Roll the Bones (blowout)

Counterparts (blowout)

Snakes and Arrows (crushing landslide)

Clockwork Angels

Albums where I like the closer better

Rush

Caress of Steel

Hemispheres

Presto (blowout)

Test for Echo

Vapor Trails

The choices on 4 of the first 6 albums was hard, as were Test for Echo and Clockwork Angels. But most choices were easy, and the openers are far stronger than the closers, especially in the 80s where the albums lost a lot of their depth.

• Like 1

This was REALLY difficult. Working Man, La Villa Strangiato, Natural Science, and Between the Wheels are all contenders, but The Garden is really a true closer. Clockwork Angels is a concept album with a very clear and distinct story, which The Garden closes perfectly in terms of lyrics. Musically, it is absolutely beautiful. Call me a ninny, but The Garden is the best closer of any Rush album.

All the criticism this song has been getting is coming from fans who claim it isn't as good as it was when they first heard it.

If its so bad, how was it good enough to overplay in the first place?

It's a fabulous song, and one of the bands best closers. But for me, Geddy's voice on Available Light makes that my ultimate favourite closer! But grand choice!

This forums use of the term "ninny" to describe those who love this song is patronising and lame.

• Like 1

I almost voted for The Garden but then I almost forgot about La Villa Strangiato.
  • Like 2

Looks like I'm the only one who voted for Between the Wheels. Anyone care to join?

I gave honorable mention to Between The Wheels. I love Grace Under Pressure and that song is one of my favorites, buuuuuuut...I gotta give it to Natural Science.

• Like 2

I voted for Natural Science but was really tempted to vote for Vital Signs. Love how that closes the album out.

I love La Villa but dont like it as a closer. It just like stops. Feels like sex that just grinds to a sudden halt, then you just walk away...anyway.

Geddy's voice on Available Light makes that my ultimate favourite closer!

Excellent! I also love Available Light. (I hadn't seen anyone else mention it, so I thought I would provide some solidarity, Segue).

But I cannot vote in this poll. To vote for only one would slight the other eleven that I'm kicking around in my head.

• Like 1

This was damn near impossible. I ended up voting for Natural Science, with Between the Wheels, Countdown, Cygnus, Everyday Glory, La Villa, The Garden and Vital Signs all very close contenders Edited by WavesandWindows