What's your musical "spread"

Dscrapre

Who are two artists that you like equally that you feel represent opposite ends of the musical spectrum?

For instance my spread is:

Fleetwood Mac - Pop rock/blues. Radio friendly, pleasant rock music.

and

Death Grips - Experimental Hip-Hop. Described by many (including myself) as "Screaming Hobo Rap".

Very easy answer. My top five favorite artists which all are quite far apart from each other, but the two most distinct, far away ones are

Rush and Owl City

Rush (for those who don't know) is very progressive, have long songs, is quite heavy, and barely received any top 40 airplay. Lyrical content includes fiction, science, politics, religion, analysis of people, etc.

Owl city falls under the genre of indie synth pop/rock, has more standard length songs, has two top 40 hits (one of which went to number 1). Lyrical content includes coping with the author's insomnia and introversion, ideas from daydreams, and the standard love songs (occasionally).

Despite these differences both are very talented and innovative within their respective genres, both have a great passion for music, and both make me happy. The closest Rush comes to Owl City is probably the Hold Your Fire album, and the closest Owl city comes to Rush (stylistically anyway, not sound-wise) is his song Cave In.

Wow...

Beach Noys- so sweet, so talented.

Opeth- the early stuff rips my face off, and yet they still sound amazing!

However, I still think my top five is all so diverse:

1) Lacuna Coil- amazingly beautiful goth metal/alternative Italian sextet. A lot of haunting songs, and Cristina Scabbia has my all ti.e favourite voice!

2) Khoma- they have four amazing albums, and everyone ignores them! No one seems to know the name, and yet they are a brilliant blend of slow, melancholy indie and crushing, devastating metal!

3) Bruce Springsteen - the finest songwriter in the world. But I ragged on enough about him on this site!

4) Rush- yup.

5) Miles Davis- simply amazing. I don't even like jazz, but his work from the fifties onwards blows my mind!

Sarah McLachlan - Intelligent rock/pop music

Tool - Intelligent hard prog/metal music

:haz: :haz: :haz:

Sunn O))) - dark, drone, ambient "music"

Tegan & Sara - simple, acousticy pop music

I literally have something of every single genre that I can enjoy and appreciate. Even rap and country, though they might be my smallest selection as I can't stand 99.9% of either genre

• Like 1

Rush

all

the

way

to

Yes

:)

I'm not sure if you could say you have the most eclectic taste...nice try!

I'm still waiting for someone to post something like:

Aqua

Dimmu Borgir

• Like 1

Rush

all

the

way

to

Yes

In a fashion, they're at opposite ends of the musical spectrum. Rush represents the evolutionary awesomeness that can come about when three guys stick together for a billion years and grow with each other. Yes represents the disparate awesomeness that can come about when really talented guys join and leave a band every other day.

• Like 3

Rush

all

the

way

to

Yes

In a fashion, they're at opposite ends of the musical spectrum. Rush represents the evolutionary awesomeness that can come about when three guys stick together for a billion years and grow with each other. Yes represents the disparate awesomeness that can come about when really talented guys join and leave a band every other day.

Mind reading one of your talents? :)

Death Grips - Experimental Hip-Hop. Described by many (including myself) as "Screaming Hobo Rap".

I recently listened to The Money Store and by the third time through I started to enjoy it. It's good stuff once you "get it."

• Like 1

I recently listened to The Money Store and by the third time through I started to enjoy it. It's good stuff once you "get it."

The Money Store is pretty steadily considered their best work. I didn't like it as much as Exmilitary or No Love Deep Web (WARNING: Album cover is a Penis) but it's still pretty great. Two weeks ago they just randomly released an LP for free download called Government Plates and it's pretty good too.