What's the best live rock album?Any opinions?

Virtualbob64

Rush: Different Stages

Yes: Yessongs

Genesis: Seconds Out

Pink Floyd: The Delicate Sound of Thunder

ELP: Welcome Back My Friend to the show that never ends

Dream Theater: Scene from a Memory Live

Peter Gabriel: Secret World Live

Jethro Tull: Bursting Out

• Like 1

Paul McCartney and Wings

http://wac.450f.edgecastcdn.net/80450F/ultimateclassicrock.com/files/2013/04/Wings-Over-America_full.jpg

Wings Over America

http://www.israbox.com/uploads/posts/2010-09/1283500196_booklet_005.jpg

Perfection.

The best live rock album is Keys to Ascension Yes. :D-13: Any questions? BTW, are you trying to include rush as part of the "Music of the spheres" scope??? Interesting... I suppose rush should be included even though the thread title precludes them?

Those 2 Keys albums are excellent.

My top 5 fav "Live" albums

Judas Priest -Unleashed In The East

Kiss - Alive

Alice Cooper -The Alice Cooper Show

The Allman Brothers Band -LAFE

Kansas -Two For The Show

My fav live Rush album

Exit Stage Left

My top 5 fav "Live" albums

Judas Priest -Unleashed In The East

Kiss - Alive

Alice Cooper -The Alice Cooper Show

The Allman Brothers Band -LAFE

Kansas -Two For The Show

My fav live Rush album

Exit Stage Left

That's a perfect list right there. Two For The Show is monu-frigging-mental.

• Like 1

Paul McCartney and Wings

http://wac.450f.edgecastcdn.net/80450F/ultimateclassicrock.com/files/2013/04/Wings-Over-America_full.jpg

Wings Over America

http://www.israbox.com/uploads/posts/2010-09/1283500196_booklet_005.jpg

Perfection.

Concert film. :smoke: Joe English playing open hand style. :notworthy:

Edited by goose

I don't listen to live albums as much as I used too.

Here are some of the ones that have stood out for me:

Black Crowes and Jimmy Page Live at the Greek.

Rush Exit Stage Left

Rush Different Stages

Rush Clockwork Angels

Pink Floyd - Pulse

Pink Floyd - Delicate Sound of Thunder

Pink Floyd - Is There Anyone Out There

Kiss Alive

Kiss Alive II

Peter Frampton Comes Alive

Dream Theatre - Live at Budkan

Dream Theatre - Score 25th Anniversary

DMB - Live at Central Park

Led Zeppelin - How The West Was Won

Led Zeppelin - The BBC Sessions

Porcupine Tree - Anesthetize

Porcupine Tree - Coma Divine

Iron Maiden - Live After Death

Billy Joel - Songs in the Attic

Edited by Todem
  • Like 1

I can't believe it took me 4 pages to find this one mentioned! This is my all-time favorite live album. It has been ever since I got it from the Columbia House tape club back when it came out. It sounds great. The songs are great. And, the band plays great. The version of Miami 2017 at the beginning of the album is phenomenal.

KISS Alive! is up there, too (regardless of what was touched up or not). I got it at a garage sale back in '80-81 when I was 7 or 8 years old for $2.50. It even still had the booklet. I listened to this on my turntable for hours!

• Like 2

I can't believe it took me 4 pages to find this one mentioned! This is my all-time favorite live album. It has been ever since I got it from the Columbia House tape club back when it came out. It sounds great. The songs are great. And, the band plays great. The version of Miami 2017 at the beginning of the album is phenomenal.

KISS Alive! is up there, too (regardless of what was touched up or not). I got it at a garage sale back in '80-81 when I was 7 or 8 years old for $2.50. It even still had the booklet. I listened to this on my turntable for hours!

Indeed. And Kiss Alive is what started me on the road to Rock. Incredible energy on that performance. A band in the absolute hunger stage. These guys were really going for it when this show took place. On the cusp of super stardom.

goose and I threw a lot of love at Billy Joel over in the "5 Least Favorite Songs" thread (starting at post #161).

After lots of people hated on We Didn't Start the Fire, there was this exchange:

sitboaf: I take Songs in the Attic to the proverbial desert island. It's in my top 15 albums of all time.

goose: It's perfect in every way. That version of Captain Jack...

• Like 1

The LP's I have had for years and years and years are the best......

Rush All The World's A stage

Yes Yes Songs

UFO Stranger's In The Night

Judas Priest Unleashed In The East

AC/DC If You Want Blood

Scorpions Tokyo Tapes

Ted Nugent Double Live Gonzo (Stranglehold and Great White Buffalo alone are worth the price of admission)

Pat Travers Band Go For What You Know

They are old but they all rock.........

:haz: :haz: :haz: :haz: :haz:

• Like 1

I'm sure I must have posted this somewhere. I listen to this all the time, and agree that it is just about perfect. The range of material is great, and the live versions far outperform each studio track. Live Captain Jack is amazing!
  • Like 1

goose and I threw a lot of love at Billy Joel over in the "5 Least Favorite Songs" thread (starting at post #161).

After lots of people hated on We Didn't Start the Fire, there was this exchange:

sitboaf: I take Songs in the Attic to the proverbial desert island. It's in my top 15 albums of all time.

goose: It's perfect in every way. That version of Captain Jack...

:cheers: That's where it was! Edited by goose
  • Like 1

I'm sure I must have posted this somewhere. I listen to this all the time, and agree that it is just about perfect. The range of material is great, and the live versions far outperform each studio track. Live Captain Jack is amazing!

Yes.! But, I like the studio Ballad of Billy The Kid a hair more than the live version, but that's the one exception from me. Live Captain Jack is so good that it actually killed the studio version - I can't listen to it anymore.

Yes.! But, I like the studio Ballad of Billy The Kid a hair more than the live version, but that's the one exception from me. Live Captain Jack is so good that it actually killed the studio version - I can't listen to it anymore.

I actually prefer the SitA version of Billy The Kid better mainly because of the energy of Liberty's drumming. That can pretty much be said for the entire album.
  • Like 1

My two personal favourites are:

The Gathering- Sleepy Buildings

Fleetwood Mac- The Dance

Both are so soothing and contain some of the best versions of their songs, EVER!

• Like 1

I actually prefer the SitA version of Billy The Kid better mainly because of the energy of Liberty's drumming. That can pretty much be said for the entire album.

Liberty really shines!