Why do you suppose more males than females are Rush fans?

Tom Sawyer

Why do more women like Bon Jovi than men? :huh:

Why? Because he's hot looking, that's why! At the BJ show last Friday night in LA, I saw many more females than males...the exact opposite of Rush shows. You could tell that guys got dragged to the show by their lady....

"BJ show" - is it just me or does that just not sound right? :unsure:

Nope, sounds about right. In the sense that if a guy had to take his girl to a Bon Jovi show, he'd better get at least that.

Why do more women like Bon Jovi than men? :huh:

Why? Because he's hot looking, that's why! At the BJ show last Friday night in LA, I saw many more females than males...the exact opposite of Rush shows. You could tell that guys got dragged to the show by their lady....

"BJ show" - is it just me or does that just not sound right? :unsure:

Nope, sounds about right. In the sense that if a guy had to take his girl to a Bon Jovi show, he'd better get at least that.

Well played, sir. Well played. :madra:

Edited by rushgoober
  • Like 1

First and foremost, in my opinion, is we females like songs to be about us. We like to hear a guy sing about how much a girl has broken their heart, or how beautiful we are, or how intensely in love they are with us :) Or how fun we are to party with, or how our smexiness drives the guys crazy, etc. All very narcissistic.

I think you nailed it.

But Ghost of a chance is about ME.

That's what you all say.

:sarcastic:

:scratchescheekwithmiddlefinger:

That's only a little bit less clever than if you had done it in person.

• Like 1

Maybe the reason there are more male fans than female fans of Rush is due to the themes in their music. I have loved Rush since I was 11 and I am 42. However, I like other bands that tend to have more male fans than female- King Crimson, Genesis, Husker Du, Mission of Burma. Even the Who seems to have more male fans and I am a huge Who fan.

I really think it is the lyrics first and foremost- not Geddy's looks or voice. Before the interwebz, like most girls I did not have a very clear image of how Geddy looked.

Here is a list of "lyrics that turn off females" (I am writing these off the top of my head, so there might be some mistakes)

1. "Yet it was for me not you that I came to write this song" oh, so it is really NOT about me at all.... ok.... :facepalm:

2. "Naked in our unity" :o (Donny Osmand and Leif Garrett never said "Naked")

3. "I tasted the answer and my body was weak" (HINT: we want to hear about STRONG bodies!)

4. A song about hot oil....and leather.....and wind in my hair.... but.... it is just about the car.. :( ... Hmmm... wonder why most girls preferred Red Corvette to Red Barchetta?

5. "We need someone to talk to and someone to sweep the floors" .... I can't tell you how many times when my kids were very young and I was dealing with juggling working full time, raising kids, and staring at my messy kitchen that this line crossed my mind...

6. Just don't get me started on "War Paint" or "Virtuality" :LMAO:

7. "Man must learn to gently dominate" :nya nya:

there might be more...

• Like 2

its probably as simple as geddy was considered butt ugly by most females i knew when rush was in their hey day and by hey day i am talking permanent waves to grace under pressure. geddy was often described as looking like a witch. and one with bad acne at that.

First and foremost, in my opinion, is we females like songs to be about us. We like to hear a guy sing about how much a girl has broken their heart, or how beautiful we are, or how intensely in love they are with us :) Or how fun we are to party with, or how our smexiness drives the guys crazy, etc. All very narcissistic.

I won't say I am "special" and above liking romantic songs. But, most certainly, unlike a lot of girls, I also like songs about "non-relationship" topics- science fiction, nature, philosophy, sociology etc. However, I am also prone to mis-interpretting Rush's lyrics - Even "By-Tor and the Snowdog" can be a boy/girl song :rose: :D

I really think it is the lyrics first and foremost- not Geddy's looks or voice. Before the interwebz, like most girls I did not have a very clear image of how Geddy looked.

Here is a list of "lyrics that turn off females" (I am writing these off the top of my head, so there might be some mistakes)

1. "Yet it was for me not you that I came to write this song" oh, so it is really NOT about me at all.... ok.... :facepalm:

2. "Naked in our unity" :o (Donny Osmand and Leif Garrett never said "Naked")

3. "I tasted the answer and my body was weak" (HINT: we want to hear about STRONG bodies!)

4. A song about hot oil....and leather.....and wind in my hair.... but.... it is just about the car.. :( ... Hmmm... wonder why most girls preferred Red Corvette to Red Barchetta?

5. "We need someone to talk to and someone to sweep the floors" .... I can't tell you how many times when my kids were very young and I was dealing with juggling working full time, raising kids, and staring at my messy kitchen that this line crossed my mind...

6. Just don't get me started on "War Paint" or "Virtuality" :LMAO:

7. "Man must learn to gently dominate" :nya nya:

there might be more...

Ha! I so comprehensively fail to conform to this theory.

But then, everyone who knows me knows that I'm not really a proper woman. So maybe that's why I love Rush! :LOL:

Men are smarter

:outtahere:

(OK, lemme have it ladies. You know I love it!)

:whip:

• Like 1

Women want to be sang to, serenaded to, told they're number 1. They sure as hell are not into technical music with long instrumental interludes or solos. And if the beat or time signature is different or odd, forget it.

That's not just for Rush either. I'm into a lot of jamming and instrumental stuff that women not only don't like, but tend to get a little freaked out about. One amusing episode was at a friend's who plays guitar and got me into all sorts of jams. I cued up an early song by Brand X ( jazz rock band that in its early days had Phil Collins on drums-back when he had hair and a beard). My bud's girlfriend said the music was "too busy-I can't follow it" and left. Bizzare, but that's just IMHO.

The most obvious reason is because the music isn't about who is screwing whom and getting high as hell and all the other crap that virtually all other music is about, particularly that of the pop and country genres, which are, BTW, crap genres that shouldn't even be taken seriously any more.

IMHO, the real reason is this, and would like to know if any females agree with this theory: I don't know about other guys, but it is hard for me to communicate my real feelings to other people. I will tell my family members that I love them, but, rarely is there any emotion to it. Rush does this for us. If I can get my wife to listen to Rush, for example, she knows how I feel about shit, without me having to be awkward in telling her, or not telling her at all. THIS is the reason that Rush is so important to male listeners, IMHO.

• Like 2

I think you nailed it.

But Ghost of a chance is about ME.

That's what you all say.

:sarcastic:

:scratchescheekwithmiddlefinger:

That's only a little bit less clever than if you had done it in person.

:scratchesbuttwithsheldonsfinger:

• Like 2

Because Rush music is not predictable. it's full of twists and turns and unexpected changes. Most women loathe that, because THEY want to be the ones full of twists and turns and unexpected changes.

:LOL: :lol: :LOL: :lol:

• Like 1

:ranton:

I'll tell you why :finbar: . Because Rush has such a male dominated fan base stretching back to the early days, most women are introduced to Rush by their significant others, men who have been fans for a long time. i.e. the University IT guy (now husband), the physics major (ex-fiance), the Doctor of nuclear engineering (first boyfriend), the guy that never went to college but reads a crap load of sci-fi and fantasy books and thinks a Dungeons and Dragons marathon is the perfect way to spend the weekend (first true love). All of these guys that I've dated were Rush fans come to find out, all but one dared to actually introduce them to me. And what song does my nerd of a husband choose? The f-ing Trees, that's what. That was my first taste of Rush.

Guys, if you want to turn your lady into a Rush fan, don't geek out on her, especially if she is a younger blonde from Orange County *ahem*, stay on more neutral ground. When my man finally smartened up two years later, he tried again with "The Spirit of Radio", good decision on his part.

I personally think that BAM! One wrong introductory song and there goes your lady-love, asking you to never play those Canadian nerds ever again, and no, she won't care if it's only three guys making all of that noise, or how fantastic the light show is when you see them live, or how sexy Geddy Lee is when he wiggles his butt on stage :banana: and makes his little duck face.

I imagine all of these guys out there, playing a song like "The Tress", or "By-Tor", getting way too excited to introduce their girls to Rush. I've spoken to males that have admittedly made this mistake and will never do it again. When one of my male Rush friends was asking what songs to introduce his new girl to, I said "Earthshine", he said "No, no, not yet, too heavy". He was really easing her into things. Haha.

Also, I think that females are conditioned to listen to cheesy love songs, annoying pop music, ballads, etc... We don't grow up with anybody thinking we will enjoy songs about living in a Dystopian universe, driving cars, tide pools, etc...

:rantoff:

Edited by gangsterfurious
  • Like 1

A lot of decent answers. I think gansterfurious makes a good point with her personal account; many women happen upon RUSH by way of some guy like this, who, in spite of having grown to adulthood, still carries on immature arguments about how they are the greatest band, or some sh**.

The opinionated behavior of guys like this would not make one want to make the effort. Why bother?

http://youtu.be/au3xP7ITQ0A

Edited by Ged Lent's sis
  • Like 2

My freshman year I had RUSH written all over my math book and I had RUsh stickers on my boom box. I think some guys in the band room saw my book and thought I was a cool chick. Boy were THEY right!!

:D :D :D

However, it was my older brother who would play Rush when I was younger. Thats how I got hooked!

Edited by umoveme
  • Like 4

its probably as simple as geddy was considered butt ugly by most females i knew when rush was in their hey day and by hey day i am talking permanent waves to grace under pressure. geddy was often described as looking like a witch. and one with bad acne at that.

Geddy is beautiful. He's not an Abercrombie model but he has a great schnoz, fantastic smile, he's in great shape, his hair is fantastic, and his eyes are gorgeous, and he seems to be very sweet and well-spoken. But men like him aren't for the ladies that are looking for the drug and groupie addicted a-hole.

Edited by gangsterfurious
  • Like 2

:ranton:

I'll tell you why :finbar: . Because Rush has such a male dominated fan base stretching back to the early days, most women are introduced to Rush by their significant others, men who have been fans for a long time. i.e. the University IT guy (now husband), the physics major (ex-fiance), the Doctor of nuclear engineering (first boyfriend), the guy that never went to college but reads a crap load of sci-fi and fantasy books and thinks a Dungeons and Dragons marathon is the perfect way to spend the weekend (first true love). All of these guys that I've dated were Rush fans come to find out, all but one dared to actually introduce them to me. And what song does my nerd of a husband choose? The f-ing Trees, that's what. That was my first taste of Rush.

Guys, if you want to turn your lady into a Rush fan, don't geek out on her, especially if she is a younger blonde from Orange County *ahem*, stay on more neutral ground. When my man finally smartened up two years later, he tried again with "The Spirit of Radio", good decision on his part.

I personally think that BAM! One wrong introductory song and there goes your lady-love, asking you to never play those Canadian nerds ever again, and no, she won't care if it's only three guys making all of that noise, or how fantastic the light show is when you see them live, or how sexy Geddy Lee is when he wiggles his butt on stage :banana: and makes his little duck face.

I imagine all of these guys out there, playing a song like "The Tress", or "By-Tor", getting way too excited to introduce their girls to Rush. I've spoken to males that have admittedly made this mistake and will never do it again. When one of my male Rush friends was asking what songs to introduce his new girl to, I said "Earthshine", he said "No, no, not yet, too heavy". He was really easing her into things. Haha.

Also, I think that females are conditioned to listen to cheesy love songs, annoying pop music, ballads, etc... We don't grow up with anybody thinking we will enjoy songs about living in a Dystopian universe, driving cars, tide pools, etc...

:rantoff:

Just my experience - my husband hounded me for several years to come see his favorite band - but honestly I wasn't interested because I couldn't understand a damn thing Geddy was singing. It was like his notes are too high - like a dog whistle - for me to comprehend. Sure I can make out the chorus, but the rest was musical mush.

I finally caved for the Vapor Trails tour and while I still had a rough time with the lyrics, the fact that three guys could make so much noise was impressive. Plus, the videos and lighting were pretty cool... And there was NO ONE on line for the bathroom! (That's totally a chick perk.) The more I opened up to their catalog and read the album liners (lord, aging myself here), the more I came to appreciate the whole package. Snakes and Arrows was the turning point for me - his register dropped and I became just as big a diehard as my husband. On my way to show #26 tonight, in fact!

Now I love nothing more than rocking out like an idiot at the shows - their music moves me... sadly, it's in sweaty, uncoordinated spastic ways that I call "dancing". ( :

• Like 1

Wife: "Who's that you're on the phone with at 3am"

Husband: "It's Jake at Rushbackstage trying to find my latest order"

Wife: "Oh, sure it is Jake at 3 am?!!

Wife: (grabs the phone) "hello Jake from Rushbackstage, what are you wearing" ?

Jake: "uhh.. a 2112 shirt"

Wife: "She sounds like a Rush fan"

Husband: "well she's a guy"

Edited by Tom Sawyer
  • Like 2

I remember Keith Emerson saying in his book that ELP's audience was mostly guys, so prog rock had something to do with it. I was a big time female ELP fan right from the beginning. I loved the complexity of their music, and in their prime, all 3 guys were nice to look at and fantasize about (an added bonus). I didn't get into Rush until a few years ago, but when I did, again it was the complexity of the music. Why the difference of loving ELP all these years versus ignoring Rush for many years? I didn't care for Geddy's looks or voice in his younger days. Also, here in Canada, the radio station must play a percentage of Canadian content, and it was always the same few Rush songs (Fly By Night, Spirit of Radio, etc). When a 'single' came out and it was Canadian content, you heard it way too often. So, that was a turn off back then. Of course, now that I am older and wiser, I'm kicking myself for missing out on past Rush concerts and ignoring them for many years before I finally wised up...

BTW, I seem to recall (perhaps from the Beatles Anthology video) that it was almost all girls at the Beatles concerts with one exception... in France. It was mostly guys who chased them there.

• Like 1

A lot of decent answers. I think gansterfurious makes a good point with her personal account; many women happen upon RUSH by way of some guy like this, who, in spite of having grown to adulthood, still carries on immature arguments about how they are the greatest band, or some sh**.

The opinionated behavior of guys like this would not make one want to make the effort. Why bother?

http://youtu.be/au3xP7ITQ0A

I used to be like him, but I never yelled or anything. Now I'm pretty much like her. I just want to hear the music. Otherwise, I don't give a shit.

• Like 2

I am female, and a nerd. Was more of a nerd in high school - my merry band of Rush concert-goers was me and anywhere from 5-8 guys.

I hate dancing. Really, really hate dancing. So a song that does not fit the "has a good beat and you can dance to it" criteria is a plus to me.

I also tired of love songs very early in my music-listening career. There are MORE than enough of those out there and they all have the SAME DAMN THEME. Except maybe when someone snuffs it, like in Bobby Goldsboro's "Honey". Then it's hysterically funny.

Can anyone tell I am not exactly the archetypical female? :LOL:

• Like 3