Clockwork Angels—Stock up or down?

Tombstone Mountain

Almost one year since the release of Clockwork Angels  

136 members have voted

1. 1. How has Clockwork Angels matured for you?

• Better than when I first got it, but still "meh" Stock down
    • It's a real disappointment—Stock Down
    • The album is among their very best efforts—Stock up
    • It's the best work they've done—period!!! Stock up waaay up

Still pop it on frequently. My mind is always blown by Geddy's playing all the time and I learn something new from every listen.

I can't stop listening this album. I don't want to listen to other Rush albums right now—been that way since june 12th.

None of the criteria you list applies to me, but I don't hate it, and I don't think it's one of the best things they've ever done... I think it's a step below Snakes and Arrows, but I like it a lot more than some of the mid-late 80's output!

It will never hit my top 5, but does live in my top 10

• Like 6

I loved it from the first listen and it hasn't lost anything.

Every time I listen, I'm still amazed and delighted as I'm struck anew that :yes: it really is THAT GOOD :wub:

• Like 4

It's been almost a year since the album was officially released. June 12th I believe the date was.

How has it grown on you? :popcorn:

Has it grown on me? It puts me on fire.

http://www.neilpeart.net/news/october_2012/case_hell.jpg

• Like 6

I still haven't gotten tired of it; obviously I don't play it as often as I did when I first bought it, but it still gets a lot of play. There's only one song I generally skip and that's "Halo Effect".
  • Like 1

I liked it when it was first released, and I like it better than that now. The music on it has developed its own character after repeated listens. As for where it ranks among the others, I won't say- too long and drawn-out for me to explain, and it would be rather "nebulous", to use a Geddy word. But yeah, it's a really good record.
  • Like 1

I loved CA when it came out, and still very much enjoy it today. Knowing the story, and having read the book, makes it hard for me to just listen to one song and not the whole album. To me, it ranks up there with MP, Pew, and PoW as one of their best.

Not only that, but the CA tour itself has reinvigorated certain old songs for me as well. (Are there still people avoiding spoilers at this point?) Both "the fourth song, just after Ged's first talk-set" and "the song from PoW just after the CA suite" just have a certain je ne sais quoi about them live that I just don't feel on the studio versions. Also, having "the song they open with" as the opener this tour has made me enjoy it a lot more than when it's buried in a random place in the set like on recent tours (maybe because of the anticipation building before the show and through the intro film).

• Like 3

It still gets far more plays than other albums. Whenever I try listening to one song, I always get stuck listening to the next 3 or 4 or just finish the damn thing.

Interesting you mention that...I'm the same way. Much like their "classic" albums, Clockwork Angels is great all the way through, and every song is just packed with everything I love about this band. Dare I say it makes most of their catalog sound old?

I'm still thoroughly impressed with CA. For the band to put out an effort like this, at this point in their careers is an impressive feat.
  • Like 2

I usually play it during my car trips between Brandon and Winnipeg. It's just one of those albums that has to go uninterupted
  • Like 3

I usually play it during my car trips between Brandon and Winnipeg. It's just one of those albums that has to go uninterupted

For me, I can't listen to CA while driving, I get too distracted with the music playing...all the other :rush: stuff isn't a problem in the car, just CA!! It's really weird....I guess it's the heaviness in the music......

Anyone else have this same problem?

:huh:

• Like 2

Still loving it. I haven't listened to the album as a whole in a few months, but random songs pop up sometimes, which oddly enough is usually 'The Anarchist' (the law of averages doesn't appear to correspond with the number of times this one has made a random appearance!). I'm going to use a bad word here, because it just seems apt: the music on this album just f***ing rocks. Whew, that was intense. The playing is incredible, and some of the lyrics really hit home and give me little shivers. Experiencing all these songs live upped my appreciation of them, too - they are really, really good live!

I could go on with my liking of this album, but I think my swear-word gets my point across! ;) :)

• Like 1

Amazing album and it is ranking up there with some of there very best work ever.

I still listen to it a lot. The tour last year amped it up even more. The stuff sounded even better live.

April 26th and 28th can't get here soon enough.

• Like 2

Amazing album and it is ranking up there with some of there very best work ever.

I still listen to it a lot. The tour last year amped it up even more. The stuff sounded even better live.

April 26th and 28th can't get here soon enough.

The momentum and weight of the album is jaw-dropping. I wasn't expecting a sledgehammer of a metalfest :fury:

Still loving it. I haven't listened to the album as a whole in a few months, but random songs pop up sometimes, which oddly enough is usually 'The Anarchist' (the law of averages doesn't appear to correspond with the number of times this one has made a random appearance!). I'm going to use a bad word here, because it just seems apt: the music on this album just f***ing rocks. Whew, that was intense. The playing is incredible, and some of the lyrics really hit home and give me little shivers. Experiencing all these songs live upped my appreciation of them, too - they are really, really good live!

I could go on with my liking of this album, but I think my swear-word gets my point across! ;) :)

You can swear when describing this album—it deserves such praise. The title track and SCOG makes me air guitar wherever I am

None of the criteria you list applies to me, but I don't hate it, and I don't think it's one of the best things they've ever done... I think it's a step below Snakes and Arrows, but I like it a lot more than some of the mid-late 80's output!

It will never hit my top 5, but does live in my top 10

this is exactly how I feel

It did take me a while to get into the album, now I am really loving it. I do agree that it is a tough listen in the car, its so heavy its tough to pick out the little parts. One of my small gripes about the album is that I feel on some songs, you really have to strain to hear what the words are, I think it is just tough for geddy at this age.

Overall I listen to it a lot, for a while it was probably in my bottom 5 rush albums but now it is definitely middle, maybe even top 10.

I also thought reading the book helped me get into the album as well. Its not a phenomenal book, but I really enjoyed it. That type of story (light, fiction, adventure) is really the type of story that I enjoy reading, which is probably why I liked it so much, but I could definitely see why many were not big fans

Overall I really love the album it has aged well for me