Clockwork Angels—Stock up or down?

Tombstone Mountain

Almost one year since the release of Clockwork Angels  

136 members have voted

1. 1. How has Clockwork Angels matured for you?

• Better than when I first got it, but still "meh" Stock down
    • It's a real disappointment—Stock Down
    • The album is among their very best efforts—Stock up
    • It's the best work they've done—period!!! Stock up waaay up

I didn't like it when it first came out, although I recognise that the musicianship and production on it are is first class. A year on and I have to say that it's now made it into my 'favourite 19 Rush Studio albums' list ;-)

Here was something that came to mind recently—What song(s) from Clockwork Angels is "definitive" Rush? What song(s) ranks as all time greats in the bands catalog? To me four make that list: title track, SCOG, HF, and The Garden. Which ones do you put on the all time great list?

Definitely Caravan. I probably like SCOG and The Garden more, but Caravan is classic Rush. Also, it was a moderately popular single and played on the TM (greatest hits) tour, so it will likely get the most lasting recognition.

Damn this is hard to do because really all the songs are good to great to awesome IMO. It's cool that you put SCOG—it's so unlike any other song they've written. I already need to make an addendum to my list—thanks Tommy!

There are about 8 on mine: Caravan, BU2B, The Anarchist, Clockwork Angels, Headlong Flight, 7COG, The Wreckers & The Garden. Even Halo Effect might make it since its a lot like the child of (Working Them Angels & Closer to the Heart)! I haven't been this excited about a RUSH album since Grace under Pressure and CA is better than that by miles. :finbar:

:haz: :rush: :haz:

Hell!

careful now...don't wanna get too excited. So cool an album has that many classics for you...I love it all!!!

It is still a MASTERPIECE.

Mr. Nice—where you been homey? Good to see you come up for air once in a while. Your opinion has been recorded in the annals of time...and met with overwhelming approval from the OP

Just gave it a full spin last night after a break of a few months. Still amazed at what they pulled of towards the end of their career. It has a consistently classic feel all the way through and in the long run will rank among their very best I think. It's so good I can't even pick a favorite. It changes every time I listen to it. Bravo!!
  • Like 2

I liked it a lot when it came out, but assumed it would fade like S&A (which has faded dramatically for me). However, it has remained strong, with me enjoying a few of the songs more than at the time of release.
  • Like 1

Just gave it a full spin last night after a break of a few months. Still amazed at what they pulled of towards the end of their career. It has a consistently classic feel all the way through and in the long run will rank among their very best I think. It's so good I can't even pick a favorite. It changes every time I listen to it. Bravo!!

To me the nuances I've never noticed are so much fun to realize....there are so many.

I still haven't gotten tired of it; obviously I don't play it as often as I did when I first bought it, but it still gets a lot of play. There's only one song I generally skip and that's "Halo Effect".

I love Halo Effect :)

I still get chills when I hear this song.

Best thing about this album is that the songs that didn't jump out at me as favorite tunes, have now become some of my faves

Like Halo Effect, Wish Them Well, and 7 Cities

• Like 1

Both "the fourth song, just after Ged's first talk-set" and "the song from PoW just after the CA suite" . Also, having "the song they open with" I love spoilers!! what're the names of the songs!? i'm going this Friday to the show, and would love to know what's coming! \m/ Long live Rush!
  • Like 1

I still haven't gotten tired of it; obviously I don't play it as often as I did when I first bought it, but it still gets a lot of play. There's only one song I generally skip and that's "Halo Effect".

I love Halo Effect :)

I still get chills when I hear this song.

Best thing about this album is that the songs that didn't jump out at me as favorite tunes, have now become some of my faves

Like Halo Effect, Wish Them Well, and 7 Cities

Me too...the Wrecker's wasn't not a fave when I first got it, WTW was in the same boat...now I love them!
  • Like 1

I love this album, maybe not my Top5 but for sure Top12. I do believe it will grow on me more, as I haven't had the chance to read the book yet; everyone's been mentioning the fact that the story will drive the music and viseversa. And also, just the fact that it's a 'concept' album, brings a lot to the table. My #1Rush album is Hemispheres—just for the sheer size of the whole movement, I just love when music, lyrics, and performance click together to bring time to Stand Still and let your imagination go wild! Long Live Rush!
  • Like 1

Finally gave the album a listen, a year after the release.. The production sucks again, very few proper guitar solos again either, 60 minutes of non-stop harmonized vocals and guitar strumming. Vapor Trails pt2. Meh.

EDIT: andye, one can correctly guess that I'm not as excited about the band nowadays compared to older times. Still gonna see them in June though!

Edited by Vicious

To me the nuances I've never noticed are so much fun to realize....there are so many.

This is one of the things that I love about this album. When it first came out, I loved it, but it seemed a little slimmed down musicianship wise than their past efforts. Over the past year though, I've noticed so many little lines, fills, guitar part oddities, and effects that only show up once (and you have to listen for pretty much) that just put this album so over the top for me. I really do urge people to listen for the little things. Unlike other recent tracks like TMMB, where they just shoved all the crazy progressive stuff right in your face, you have to find it. And it (and all the other factors) make this their best album ever. I'm sure I'll be finding little things in these songs for a long time to come.

• Like 1

Finally gave the album a listen, a year after the release.. The production sucks again, very few proper guitar solos again either, 60 minutes of non-stop harmonized vocals and guitar strumming. Vapor Trails pt2. Meh.

EDIT: andye, one can correctly guess that I'm not as excited about the band nowadays compared to older times. Still gonna see them in June though!

back away from the crack pipe....get some help from a support group or something. You're obviously on a dark and twisted road:)
  • Like 1

i listened to it for six months straight.

i've left it alone. i plan to pick it up again next month before the next show

Edited by furie
  • Like 1

I loved CA when it came out, and still very much enjoy it today. Knowing the story, and having read the book, makes it hard for me to just listen to one song and not the whole album. To me, it ranks up there with MP, Pew, and PoW as one of their best.

Not only that, but the CA tour itself has reinvigorated certain old songs for me as well. (Are there still people avoiding spoilers at this point?) Both "the fourth song, just after Ged's first talk-set" and "the song from PoW just after the CA suite" just have a certain je ne sais quoi about them live that I just don't feel on the studio versions. Also, having "the song they open with" as the opener this tour has made me enjoy it a lot more than when it's buried in a random place in the set like on recent tours (maybe because of the anticipation building before the show and through the intro film).

I too really have grown much more appreciation for the PoW song after the CA suite. I'm really hoping to hear it in Nashville instead of that commonly played track from the early 90's that it kept getting rotated with...

• Like 1

back away from the crack pipe....get some help from a support group or something. You're obviously on a dark and twisted road:)

Well, please elaborate why I should fall in love with CA :x This album is imo a culmination of all things I dislike about Rush albums starting with VP:

1) muddy clipped production and mastering

2) pointless "wall of sound" guitar strumming

3) layered vocals

I'll just stick to their pre-VP repertoire and live shows where they still excel.

• Like 1

Right now I am going to :smoke: and then lie in my bed in the darkness and blast CA on the headphones. I will get back to you on how I feel about it tomorrow.

Did some of that for the first time in about 6 months Saturday night and then watched the Philly video boot from last Fall. 'Twas a good time. :ebert:

• Like 1

Well, please elaborate why I should fall in love with CA :x This album is imo a culmination of all things I dislike about Rush albums starting with VP:

3) layered vocals

I'll just stick to their pre-VP repertoire and live shows where they still excel.

Here's my elaboration: 1)

3) layered vocals

I happen to love VP on most every level...but I'll give you my elaboration.

1) songs 1 thru 12 are absolutely RUSH. Booujzhe has laid claim to understanding the essence of Rush and pushed them further than any producer post Terry Brown.

2) on this album they're five all-time great Rush songs (Caravan, CA, SCOG, HF, and the Garden)

3) per Condemned2bfree "it doesn't matter how you listen to it: car stereo, boom box, ect. It still kicks ass (paraphrase)

4) Geddy sounds phenomenal, Neil freaking improvised many of the songs in studio (a first), and Alex simply gives new meaning to sonic brilliance

I can go on and on and on and on!!!!

Edited by Tombstone Mountain

Meh, I think everyone is putting too much faith in this concept approach.

C'mon dude, we're faithless

But I believe in love (of Rush), and that's faith enough for me.