Clockwork Angels—Stock up or down?

Tombstone Mountain

Almost one year since the release of Clockwork Angels  

136 members have voted

1. 1. How has Clockwork Angels matured for you?

• Better than when I first got it, but still "meh" Stock down
    • It's a real disappointment—Stock Down
    • The album is among their very best efforts—Stock up
    • It's the best work they've done—period!!! Stock up waaay up

What I like about CA over some of their more recent works is how clean it sounds..even with the added strings you can really hear each of the guys playing their parts....really like it. There is not one song I don't like on it, that puts it in the top 3 for me. Edited by hcm
  • Like 2

I have to add that I think seeing CA live made a huge difference in what I thought of the album...I donno maybe I'm just loving the album more because it brings back great memories of the shows....

A classic. Pure classic.

After seeing it lIve three times.......one of their all time master works. Live, the songs were so powerful....just so intense. HTe string section..the lights, the video....just a platinum tour all the way around.

That's right. I said it. ALL TIME CLASSIC.

A top 7 Rush album for me. truly brilliant....and still blows me away that they did this 38 years into their existence!

My top 5 tracks

1) Clockwork Angels

2) The Anarchist

3) Headlong Flight

4) The Garden

5) The Wreckers

• Like 1

A classic. Pure classic.

After seeing it lIve three times.......one of their all time master works. Live, the songs were so powerful....just so intense. HTe string section..the lights, the video....just a platinum tour all the way around.

A top 7 Rush album for me. truly brilliant....and still blows me away that they did this 38 years into their existence!

My top 5 tracks

1) Clockwork Angels

2) The Anarchist

3) Headlong Flight

4) The Garden

5) The Wreckers

Hmmmmm. After so much time going by I think I have a more solid five as well.

1. Headlong Flight

2. The Wreckers

3 BU2B (not on many peoples list but this song has really grown on me)

4 Headlong Flight

5. Caravan

I still listen to it from time to time, which is more than can be said for almost any album from 2012 (and there WERE some damn good ones)

it's my favorite rush album since power windows

If they put out a live album to go with the DVD release of this tour I'd love to hear that. I'll bet it sounds miles better than the studio release.
  • Like 1

It's been almost a year since the album was officially released. June 12th I believe the date was.

How has it grown on you? :popcorn:

http://www.smccd.edu/accounts/case/biol230/growth/growthcurve.jpeg

>>>>------------------------------------------------------------------>

Edited by GeminiRising79
  • Like 1

It's been almost a year since the album was officially released. June 12th I believe the date was.

How has it grown on you? :popcorn:

http://www.smccd.edu/accounts/case/biol230/growth/growthcurve.jpeg

>>>>------------------------------------------------------------------>

:D

It's up. But this is a much heavier, murkier album than anything they've ever done. They've made some heavy sounding albums in the past. This is heavy not just in terms of sound, but lyrical content and Geddy's delivery of said lyrics. I don't picture anyone reaching for CA if they are going through a rough patch, so to speak.

The emotions deliberately conveyed throughout CA are sadness, fear, anger, and bitterness, but also, at times, excitement, joy and integrity. The energy is there. It is just very minor key. I don't view this as a detriment to the album, but just as my subjective experience when listening to it.

The album is very dark. I can't call it truly exciting or fun until Headlong Flight, which is 9 tracks in. The first 8 tracks all have a similar feel to them. There's a little bit of hope in the end with "The Garden", but not much. That being said, I think the production holds back the album a bit. It sounds nothing like Vapor Trails, but has some of the same problems like having too much bass in the very low end. The bass, drums, and guitar mix together in the low end too much and the instruments don't separate as much as I like them to in a good studio recording.

So the pluses are the compositions, musical instrumentation, and originality. Every song is memorable. It also translates brilliantly to the live stage.

It suffers a bit from mediocre EQ. Also, this album can be a little bit difficult to get through at times due to the bleakness of it all.

A classic. Pure classic.

My top 5 tracks

1) Clockwork Angels

2) The Anarchist

3) Headlong Flight

4) The Garden

5) The Wreckers

Hmmmmm. After so much time going by I think I have a more solid five as well.

1. Headlong Flight

2. The Wreckers

3 BU2B (not on many peoples list but this song has really grown on me)

4 Headlong Flight

5. Caravan

HF is in the top 5 twice?

Okay since this album has been out for around a year now, and listening to it repeatedly and in concert several times, my opinion is that the lyrics are the weakest part of the whole thing. They seem a bit childish and repetitive. The book also seemed that way, more like a young adult fantasy rather than a mature, introspective, well thought out story. I think the music rocks, but it's brought down by some pretty inane storytelling.

Okay since this album has been out for around a year now, and listening to it repeatedly and in concert several times, my opinion is that the lyrics are the weakest part of the whole thing. They seem a bit childish and repetitive. The book also seemed that way, more like a young adult fantasy rather than a mature, introspective, well thought out story. I think the music rocks, but it's brought down by some pretty inane storytelling.

You must be a huge fan of the Necromancer and By-Tor and The Snow Dog then.

It's a bit different when a 20-year-old is writing something compared to a 60-year-old. And I'm not saying a 60-year-old should be a crotchety old fool. :D I'm commenting on the maturity of the writing. I think the clockwork world/steampunk idea is awesome but it suffers from amateurish sounding lyrics. (The book has the same problem only worse, but that was also KJA's fault)

It's a bit different when a 20-year-old is writing something compared to a 60-year-old. And I'm not saying a 60-year-old should be a crotchety old fool. :D I'm commenting on the maturity of the writing. I think the clockwork world/steampunk idea is awesome but it suffers from amateurish sounding lyrics. (The book has the same problem only worse, but that was also KJA's fault)

I was being a smart ass of course. But I will digress.....I disagree with your assessment on the lyrics on CA. I love them. I love how visual they are....and nice throw back to Neil's earlier works and style. The album is a visual feast.

The title track in particular is amazing lyrically as well as Carnies, Seven Cities of Gold and The Garden.

Edited by Todem
  • Like 1

I was being a smart ass of course. But I will digress.....I disagree with your assessment on the lyrics on CA. I love them. I love how visual they are....and nice throw back to Neil's earlier works and style. The album is a visual feast.

The title track in particular is amazing lyrically as well as Carnies, Seven Cities of Gold and The Garden.

I was thinking about this since I wrote that and I think what's happened is that the album has suffered from my mental connection to the book. The book was not very good and has definitely colored my opinion in a negative way.