Clockwork Angels material is being overlooked

Astroboy2112

If you put all ur biased nostalgia aside as well as the "anything after 81 is crap and fans are blind for liking it" mentality and give the CA songs a chance with an open mind ( i know all that is near impossible for some people here)I think you would agree that the string versions of Caravan + Clockwork Angels + The Anarchist + Carnies +7 Cities + the Wreckers + Halo Effect + Headlong Flight + The Garden are on par quality wise with anything from the 70's or 80's including the mythical Jacob's Ladder. Im listening to a PA bootleg i got from Dime a Dozen and these songs are absolutely mind blowing live with strings. Even Halo Effect with the strings and new guitar intro sounds incredible!

People are getting bent out of shape with the whole "they are not playing JL, and they are playing too many keyboard songs", that they are overlooking the brilliance of CA live. Some of these songs truly belong in the conversation of greatest Rush songs ever. Headlong Flight live with strings?! I mean WOW 1022.gif sounds as furious and badass as anything on ATWS.

IMO Jacobs ladder gets part of it's acclaim because of it's length and status as an "Epic" but if you check how many times do you actually listen to it compared to other shorter Rush songs, you will find out that you don't listen to it that often. Yeah it's an awesome song but so is the CA stuff being played.

AFTK, Hemispheres, PW...CA is right there folks. Don't take this masterpiece being played live with strings for granted fellow rushians.

Edited by Astroboy2112

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Totally agree. I really like CA and think it was the highlight of the show. Ive seen some complain that they played the whole thing instead of older songs. Well, I for one am glad I saw the whole piece played live, same as I was when I saw most of 2112 played live when it was first released and all of Hemispheres played live on its supporting tour. Progressive concept records.......nothing better and it sure is great to see Rush do another!!

QUOTE (Astroboy2112 @ Sep 19 2012, 09:50 PM)
IMO Jacobs ladder gets part of it's acclaim because of it's length and status as an "Epic" but if you check how many times do you actually listen to it compared to other shorter Rush songs, you will find out that you don't listen to it that often. Yeah it's an awesome song but so is the CA stuff being played.

its relatively short song that i have never heard anyone before describe as epic. to each their own.

the new disc is great but its far too soon IMO to determine where it ranks overall in the catalog IMO.

like i said, i love the new disc but it seems to me they added a half member.

half a member in the form of the strings composer and strings being on approximately half the songs.

i think in no small part the strings enhance the songs they are used in greatly and the fact is the composer of the strings is a master and he can evoke emotions with the strings that ged never could with his keys.

would CA be as good without the strings?

well i'm a proper nu-rush fan, although older rush from the 70's is obviously just brilliant i'm much more into 80's -90's stuff and vapor trails/s&a probably more to be honest for its maturity and development but...

only four of the tracks on CA stand out for me as superlative rush, the rest of the album is just ok really and doesnt compare well at all with earlier material

mindyou the four tracks that do stand out for me, Bu2b, caravan, the title track and the garden, represent just how classy this band can be, totally awesome rush at their finest.

for me personally though, the album could have done with even one more of same standard, like the anarchist and headlong flight etc make some kind of effort but dont hit the heights for me

Edited by lifeson90

If you put all ur biased nostalgia aside as well as the "anything after 81 is crap and fans are blind for liking it" mentality and give the CA songs a chance with an open mind  ( i know all that is near impossible for some people here)I think you would agree that  the string versions of Caravan + Clockwork Angels + The Anarchist + Carnies +7 Cities + the Wreckers + Halo Effect + Headlong Flight + The Garden are on par quality wise with anything from the 70's or 80's including the mythical Jacob's Ladder. Im listening to a PA bootleg i got from Dime a Dozen and these songs are absolutely mind blowing live with strings. Even Halo Effect  with the strings and new guitar intro sounds incredible!

People are getting bent out of shape with the whole "they are not playing JL, and they are playing too many keyboard songs", that they are overlooking the brilliance of CA live. Some of these songs  truly belong in the conversation of greatest  Rush songs ever. Headlong Flight live with strings?! I mean WOW 1022.gif  sounds as furious and badass as anything on ATWS.

AFTK, Hemispheres, PW...CA is right there folks. Don't take this masterpiece being played live with strings for granted fellow rushians.

If you read all the overwhelming positive responses to CA on here upon it's release, you would realize that the album is getting very high praise from most and not being overlooked by too many at all. The album has strings on it to being with so we've already heard them that way in the first place.

As far as it goes with it being played live, Rush hasn't done that many shows this tour so far, I believe it's only been six or seven shows. So a lot of people haven't even seen these songs performed yet. They can't really speak to the live experience of hearing them at this point. Wait until the tour is over before jumping the gun on saying the album is being "overlooked" by fans.

Edited by J2112YYZ

goodpost.gif

I am a long time Rush fan. I really enjoy all their material. I believe one of the reasons why they are still rocking is because they have made changes over the years. CA is not Xanadu or JL but it is just as good in it's own way. My dd and I have loved it from the beginning. Every single song is great IMHO. We listen to all Rush albums and we feel this is one of their best. We loved seeing it live and were ecstatic they played so many songs from the album.

If you put all ur biased nostalgia aside as well as the "anything after 81 is crap and fans are blind for liking it" mentality and give the CA songs a chance with an open mind  ( i know all that is near impossible for some people here)I think you would agree that  the string versions of Caravan + Clockwork Angels + The Anarchist + Carnies +7 Cities + the Wreckers + Halo Effect + Headlong Flight + The Garden are on par quality wise with anything from the 70's or 80's including the mythical Jacob's Ladder.

People are getting bent out of shape with the whole "they are not playing JL, and they are playing too many keyboard songs", that they are overlooking the brilliance of CA live. Some of these songs  truly belong in the conversation of greatest  Rush songs ever. Headlong Flight live with strings?! I mean WOW 1022.gif  sounds as furious and badass as anything on ATWS.

Cool thread Astroboy. A great conversation to have.

This is my 2001'st post...cool it's about this 1022.gif

For me, your statement is dead on the money. Clockwork Angels contains supreme fury and beauty not seen for a long time...and with some cases like Headlong Flight, Clockwork Angels, SCOG, and the Garden, taking on all-time great status (for me). The other songs are just merely fantastic. How awesome that we get a record like this??? Now it's translating live 1022.gif

I've maintained that it's their best work since AFTK and PeW's...probably because of the energy and focus. The Terry Brown era contained an obvious continuity which served the band well...since his departure that continuity disappeared and the world got a new sounding Rush. On a personal level I found something redeeming about each release since and take it for what it is.

Clockwork Angels is the Titan among all of the records since TB's exit. How does it compare to those of TB's era? Among their best, and bowing to no other recording effort.

By what the band members have said there are no plans to ever stop recording together...they admit they need each other to satisfy their musical itch. An interesting aspect of this forum are the diverse opinions about the producer of Clockwork Angels, Nick Raskulinecz. Some here just thrash this man, either as incompetant or a safe pick to not get in the way, and just deal with Neil.

I hope Booujzhe produces them from here to eternity...his hands are all over Clockwork Angels...imagine if he produces another album? He brought out the absolute finest in the band, and would probably do better the next time out--if you can imagine that!

2.gif

I've seen Rush so many times that I am glad to see that it's something different.

The CA part of the show is great. I am thinking of catching another show (maybe Boston) so I can enjoy it a little more rather than waiting to see what's going to happen next like I did in Manchester.

The mostly 80s setlist.. Brilliant!

In time there will be no more Rush and we will look back at our live experiences with them and be glad that they did something special. Let's appreciate it now before the chance is lost.

goodpost.gif

Finally a thread where some Rush fans get it! Well done!

I agree I've seen them every tour since Hemispheres and I welcome the set list as it stands right now. I was getting tired of some of their every tour staples that have been left out. This show is exactly what I was hoping for.

Could we switch out a song here or there for more 70's cuts? Sure songs like Xanadu, La villa, Natural Science etc could have been in the set list but they have been played already since Rush's Vapor Trails rebirth.

I love Analaog Kid, Grand Designs, Manhattan Project and Body Electric in the set list because they haven't played these post VT on tour.

The new CA stuff is the best part of the show for me I love all of them!

wow, you are right after listening to CA for a couple of months i can easily say this is better or on par with than all that stuff i have been listening to since the day they came out in the 70's sarcasm.gif not.

to people who are long time listeners its gonna take some time to determine where it ranks. there is a lot to compare and think about.

now if you recently got into rush and have consumed their catalog over the course of just a few years, it may be easier for you in your mind to declare what you feel is better.

in all honesty, CA sounds modern and appeals to modern tastes and some probably feel the old stuff sounds dated.

remember, as in the best song thread, there are no best only favorites.

I like CA and the real kicker is that if this was released back in the 70's, my guess is that it would be a double record. 1022.gif

Edited by tangy

J2112YYZ, I know CA was generally well received but It's def being overlooked by the setlist complainers. Yeah, they are not playing 70's stuff but CA is equally as killer. It's just that there's no nostalgia to it.

Tangy that's why i said you have to put the nostalgia factor aside in order to be able put CA on par with the classics. It's awesome material but we still don't have too many memories attached to it like with the older records. Still you gotta give it up for Rush for coming up with such an impressive record (and book!) this late in the game and having the guts to play it live -and with guests musicians for the 1st ever!

QUOTE (Astroboy2112 @ Sep 19 2012, 07:50 PM)
If you put all ur biased nostalgia aside as well as the "anything after 81 is crap and fans are blind for liking it" mentality and give the CA songs a chance with an open mind ( i know all that is near impossible for some people here)

I seriously disagree with this premise. The people who don't like or love this album are not feeling that way because of "biased nostalgia" or because they're not "giving the songs a chance with an open mind." It's because they truly don't like or love the album.

I could never get this kind of logic. If you don't like the album, you really haven't listened to it correctly. You need to clear your mind and light some candles and listen to it 25 times in a row and I guarantee its obvious inherent brilliance will wash over you.

It just doesn't work that way because you feel it should. People either like music or they don't after giving it a few chances.

That said, I love the album personally.

Regardless of any of this...how many more times will we get to see these guys? In 10 years Neil will be 70. Maybe two more tours? Certainly he is a gentleman who will cherish the solitude and family- basking of a proper retirement (not to mention the brutal physicality of his drumming...hey, those knees ain't gonna last forever)...

Just enjoy the show and be happy that these legends are gracing us at all... and yes, CA RULES and we are LUCKY to witness it!!!!

(but Jacob's Ladder would have been nice...lol... maybe next time, huh?)

Its currently number 10 on my list of Rush albums. Moved up a couple notches after the show. May drop again after the show exhilaration wanes. Everything is better and more exciting live. Its a GOOD album. I like it. Nothing classic about it. Nobody but us will remember it next year.

To me is not a good album to me is the album i been waiting for the past 20 years. A modern masterpiece. I always wanted a Rush record to sound modern. I grew up with the alternative sounds of the early 90's and I still prefer to listen to an alternative band than an 80's metal band. So I always wondered how would Rush sound if they tried to do a concept piece but with a more modern sound.

They managed to modernize their sound and become a contemporary band, to the chagrin of older fans, with T4E but the material wasnt as great as the classics, then they almost got it with VT but the production f*cked it up, they kinda dropped the ball a little bit for my tastes anyway on Snakes and Arrows but finally after all this years of trying to get the modern sound right as well as put great material out they finally done it. I see Clockwork Angels on par with the classics. The only thing is that the classics have a lot of nostaliga attached to them so ppl are biased. CA = Rush only true concept album + awesome playing + modern sound = the album of my dreams 1022.gif I still cant believe it even exists!

QUOTE (Astroboy2112 @ Sep 25 2012, 03:15 PM)
To me is not a good album to me is the album i been waiting for the past 20 years. A modern masterpiece. I always wanted a Rush record to sound modern. I grew up with the alternative sounds of the early 90's and I still prefer to listen to an alternative band than an 80's metal band. So I always wondered how would Rush sound if they tried to do a concept piece but with a more modern sound.

They managed to modernize their sound and become a contemporary band, to the chagrin of older fans, with T4E but the material wasnt as great as the classics, then they almost got it with VT but the production f*cked it up, they kinda dropped the ball a little bit for my tastes anyway on Snakes and Arrows but finally after all this years of trying to get the modern sound right as well as put great material out they finally done it. I see Clockwork Angels on par with the classics. The only thing is that the classics have a lot of nostaliga attached to them so ppl are biased. CA = Rush only true concept album + awesome playing + modern sound = the album of my dreams 1022.gif I still cant believe it even exists!

I agree with many of your comments. I've gone back to listen to the entire catalog and Clockwork Angels is just pushing the envelope in every way. The 70's and early 80's were special, but that's history. The albums sound dated to me, not a bad thing. Is this not Rush at their creative peak once again?

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Sep 24 2012, 06:24 AM)
QUOTE (Astroboy2112 @ Sep 19 2012, 07:50 PM)
If you put all ur biased nostalgia aside as well as the "anything after 81 is crap and fans are blind for liking it" mentality and give the CA songs a chance with an open mind  ( i know all that is near impossible for some people here)

I seriously disagree with this premise. The people who don't like or love this album are not feeling that way because of "biased nostalgia" or because they're not "giving the songs a chance with an open mind." It's because they truly don't like or love the album.

I could never get this kind of logic. If you don't like the album, you really haven't listened to it correctly. You need to clear your mind and light some candles and listen to it 25 times in a row and I guarantee its obvious inherent brilliance will wash over you.

It just doesn't work that way because you feel it should. People either like music or they don't after giving it a few chances.

That said, I love the album personally.

goodpost.gif

The voice of reason against the fanboys. laugh.gif

I just really don't think CA is up to it's rep. And trust me when i say. It's most certainly not for lack of trying. Having said that. It did get elevated a bit after hearing stuff in a live setting. But it's nowhere near my top 10 still....what can i say.

Mick