Which is better?

rushgoober

Understanding that CA has only been out about a month, be as objective as you can and answer which is better?  

187 members have voted

1. 1. Understanding that CA has only been out about a month, be as objective as you can and answer which is better?

• Snakes & Arrows
    • Clockwork Angels

CA brought me back to listen to new rush, I saw the s a tour, the new songs were like some folk rock or turbo rock, real bad, go to washroom , buy beer break, the last time i bought new rush, was presto, then gave up on them, CA is what they needed applaudit.gif

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Honeymoon is over and I'm still in love with this album.

It gets better with every listen, actually.

It rocks and has a great flow and energy, but it's all about the melodies for me. Ged knocked it out of the park.

There isn't an album since Presto that I have enjoyed so much.

And who gives a sh*t if people were singing the praises of Snakes and Arrows five years ago? It's a really good album that gets an unfair and over the top negetive treatment around here.

QUOTE (eshine @ Jul 24 2012, 03:51 PM)
The Honeymoon is over and I'm still in love with this album.

It gets better with every listen, actually.

It rocks and has a great flow and energy, but it's all about the melodies for me. Ged knocked it out of the park.

There isn't an album since Presto that I have enjoyed so much.

And who gives a sh*t if people were singing the praises of Snakes and Arrows five years ago? It's a really good album that gets an unfair and over the top negetive treatment around here.

If any album around here got any over the top negative treatment it'd be Vapor Trails.

Snakes has some pretty stand out tracks IMO, but as an album it pretty much falls flat on its face. That being said, I really enjoy S & A and it holds many memories for me, but overall CA is a true Rush album and a fantastic one as well. 2.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 19 2012, 03:36 PM)
QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Jul 19 2012, 09:50 AM)
QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Jul 19 2012, 11:47 AM)
QUOTE (Pound of Obscure @ Jul 19 2012, 11:43 AM)
QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Jul 19 2012, 11:19 AM)
QUOTE (Pound of Obscure @ Jul 19 2012, 09:08 AM)
QUOTE (Gompers @ Jul 19 2012, 06:10 AM)
QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Jul 19 2012, 06:56 AM)
QUOTE (Gompers @ Jul 19 2012, 05:49 AM)
QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Jul 18 2012, 09:27 PM)
You people do not listen with your ears. When and if a next album comes out I imagine the posts then will be identical to this thread by the same people but CA will be the next S&A with the "new" new album getting undue praise.

yes.gif

We're not praising CA because it's new. It's because the music is excellent. See the top ten poll and Goober's 1-10 poll. Honeymoon effect is minimal.

Give it time. It will rate 7/10 in the long haul, IMO.

Already is a 6 or 7.

Rush has 3 10's in their catalogue. 10's are perfect albums and thus a hard level to reach. Very good albums are not 10's. Or even 9's for that matter.

Its their best in quite a while. After the abomination of Snakes, it seems spectacular. But its about a 7. With a good point removed for inexcusable sound quality.

I'll give it a 7.5. A pretty strong record that I like with heavy penalties for sound quality. 6 overall rating.

CA>>>>>>>>Snakes. Snakes<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<any other Rush/Rascal Flats album

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?showtopic=75734&st=240

Close to 78% (231 pollers) rate this album at least 8/10. That's a damn great figure for an album, even if it's new. I predict that number will hold fairly steady in the long run. CA is here to stay strong over the long haul.

Yeah, but we're a bunch of Rush freaks in here. You would expect those kind of numbers.

That's like going to Moveon.org and asking them who they support in the next election. laugh.gif

Some honeymoon effect and Rush bias, yes, but I think those 2 factors minimally account for the high numbers. People are truly ranking CA high outside of those 2 factors I believe.

I'll make another poll in a year.

You do that. That whooshing sound you hear is all of us holding our collective breaths. tongue.gif

You can hold your breath for a year? ohmy.gif

I've probably listened to Clockwork Angels about 30 times now.

I think I've only managed to listen to the entire Snakes & Arrows album only once. I like Far Cry and the instrumentals, but with the other songs I usually end up clicking to the next track before they finish.

It usually takes me a couple listens to get into a new Rush album, but no matter how much I listen to Snakes & Arrows, it never grows on me. Ditto for Vapor Trails and Test for Echo.

After the last three albums, I had pretty much given up on Rush, so I was pleasantly surprised by Clockwork Angels. I'm actually looking forward to their next album which isn't something I could say for a long time.

QUOTE (clintonb @ Jul 25 2012, 06:03 PM)
I've probably listened to Clockwork Angels about 30 times now.

I think I've only managed to listen to the entire Snakes & Arrows album only once. I like Far Cry and the instrumentals, but with the other songs I usually end up clicking to the next track before they finish.

It usually takes me a couple listens to get into a new Rush album, but no matter how much I listen to Snakes & Arrows, it never grows on me. Ditto for Vapor Trails and Test for Echo.

After the last three albums, I had pretty much given up on Rush, so I was pleasantly surprised by Clockwork Angels. I'm actually looking forward to their next album which isn't something I could say for a long time.

trink39.gif

A good feeling, isnt it?

s&a for sheer variety, there's a bit of everything on that record making it hard to get bored with

i'm only now fully discovering s&a after all these years, for instance used to thoroughly despise TMMB but now rank it alongside la villa in quality... and used to think good news first was awful, now after all these years its one of my fav rush tracks ever with so many subtleties behind the scenes to discover

CA's got four outstanding rush classics on it like Bu2b and the title track in particular and the album version of caravan is just sensational but after that it all sounds ok but samey

yeah its funny but, i'm really only now discovering s&a after having a break from CA.. s&a is just so much more laid back and subtly elaborate with much more space to breathe.. one's a concerto the other's a very good rock album

Edited by lifeson90

Well SA is new to me. I've only had it about a year. I lost track of Rush after RTB when I reconnected and learned about CP-SA, SA was the first one I bought. Still don't have CP or TFE. But for me CA blows SA away. I've probably listened to CA more this week than I have SA since I bought it. CA kicks ass over everything since PW for sure and maybe even since MP.

1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

Edited by Transcendent Pilgrim

The "concept album" as well as the "new" adds a bit to the idea of CA being "better". I love it, as I loved S&A. But make no mistake, this work is a veritable "masterpiece.

How sad is the opinion that we'd have been better off without S&A?

Disgusting!

QUOTE (clearingsky @ Jul 26 2012, 03:44 AM)
The "concept album" as well as the "new" adds a bit to the idea of CA being "better". I love it, as I loved S&A. But make no mistake, this work is a veritable "masterpiece.

goodpost.gif

C.A.

Whats funny for me is I couldn't stand S&A, but after I listened to CA it made me want to go back and give S&A another listen. I still think Clockwork Angels is better but now I like S&A alot more then I use to.

QUOTE (Babycat @ Aug 17 2012, 03:15 AM)
I can't vote - I like both equally.

653.gif trink39.gif common001.gif applaudit.gif goodpost.gif

Understandably, the results may have been skewed when the question was first asked, as CA had just come out. But now, over two months later, we're still seeing a hyper-majority voting for CA over S&A. (And rightly so.)

88% chose CA, while just 11% chose S&A. People are preferring CA over S&A at an 8-1 ratio! Such a huge disparity in numbers can't be wholly attributed to CA getting a "ratings bump" for being new, so the fact is undeniable: the majority of people genuinely feel CA is better.

1022.gif

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Aug 17 2012, 06:51 AM)
Understandably, the results may have been skewed when the question was first asked, as CA had just come out. But now, over two months later, we're still seeing a hyper-majority voting for CA over S&A. (And rightly so.)

88% chose CA, while just 11% chose S&A. People are preferring CA over S&A at an 8-1 ratio! Such a huge disparity in numbers can't be wholly attributed to CA getting a "ratings bump" for being new, so the fact is undeniable: the majority of people genuinely feel CA is better.

1022.gif

Much Better! Almost undeniably Better. Undisputably better even! Its like comparing A Farewell to Kings and Moving Pictures. Both great albums but the latter is on level of its own.

applaudit.gif trink39.gif applaudit.gif

The three songs I really like off S&As I like better than anything off CA. I think Armor and Sword is one of the best songs they've ever written and actually outclasses Farcry in almost all aspects. My more cynical side suspects that because Farcry was released out in front and teased like it was, fans united around the song and there's still that lasting element of collective identification (tinged with self-pandering in some circles...) that accounts for its seeming to be more of a "marquee" track than A&S. It is kind of the banner song of that album. That said, it is one of the three I really like.

However, I think CA is much more even all-around. There's just nothing that gives me quite the satisfaction of A&S. And the less appealing tracks aren't so utterly boring like the less appealing stuff from S&As.

Edited by FarUnlitUnknown

QUOTE (rushbabe @ Aug 13 2012, 06:28 AM)
Whats funny for me is I couldn't stand S&A, but after I listened to CA it made me want to go back and give S&A another listen. I still think Clockwork Angels is better but now I like S&A alot more then I use to.

same here... for some reason my appreciation of s&a increased ten-fold after CA, turned it into an exceptional album rather than just a very good one i totally love s&a now and listening to it all the time now i got CA outa my system

Edited by lifeson90

QUOTE (FarUnlitUnknown @ Aug 18 2012, 04:14 PM)
The three songs I really like off S&As I like better than anything off CA. I think Armor and Sword is one of the best songs they've ever written and actually outclasses Farcry in almost all aspects. My more cynical side suspects that because Farcry was released out in front and teased like it was, fans united around the song and there's still that lasting element of collective identification (tinged with self-pandering in some circles...) that accounts for its seeming to be more of a "marquee" track than A&S. It is kind of the banner song of that album. That said, it is one of the three I really like.

However, I think CA is much more even all-around. There's just nothing that gives me quite the satisfaction of A&S. And the less appealing tracks aren't so utterly boring like the less appealing stuff from S&As.

Armor & Sword is a great track...epic in the sense of Jacob's Ladder, but more powerful lyrically. Working Them Angels is another track I love off S & A.

I agree that as a whole CA is stronger start to finish, but S&A's standout moments are worthy of consideration as classic RUSH.