How do you feel about CA about 1 month in?

rushgoober

CA was released about a month ago. Pick the option that fits best for you. Note: If the sound quality is a big concern for you, drop your score down one or two points and specify that.  

235 members have voted

1. 1. CA was released about a month ago. Pick the option that fits best for you. Note: If the sound quality is a big concern for you, drop your score down one or two points and specify that.

• 10 - Absolute Perfection all the way through - a masterpiece - their best or right up there with their very best.
    • 9 - Excellent, not one weak track and nearly perfect. One of their very best.
    • 8 - Great album - one or two weaker tracks - a must-own.
    • 7 - Very good album - mostly very strong - well worth owning.
    • 6 - Not their best, but still pretty darn good.
    • 5 - I don't listen too often, but it's a good album.
    • 4 - It's not bad, a good bit of weaker material - pretty good.
    • 3 - It's ok - I'll listen and enjoy some tracks occasionally, but not that great overall.
    • 2 - There are a couple of good or great tracks, but overall fairly weak.
    • 1 - Barely listenable - for completists only, only one or two even halfway-decent tracks. A real dud.
    • 0 - Just really bad, no redeeming qualities whatsoever. Garbage.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (nebbish @ Jul 6 2012, 05:51 PM)
2 words..........***king brilliant

ph34r.gif

http://cdn.7static.com/static/img/sleeveart/00/001/992/0000199208_350.jpg

You either get my humor or you don't. atickhum.gif

QUOTE (Rick N. Backer @ Jul 5 2012, 03:44 PM)
I still think it's their best album since g/p.

goodpost.gif

Maybe even MP.

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Jul 6 2012, 09:46 AM)
I give it an 8. I'd say it's their best effort since Power Windows.

Not enough time has passed for me to say that with any certainty. After the tour dies down, and you come home from a hard day at work, and you look over your CD collection, will you look to CA or will you have no desire to hear it anymore?

Having said that, if a gun was put to my head today, I'd agree it's the best since PoW.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jul 6 2012, 12:24 PM)
See, this is the attitude that rubs me and others the wrong way. There's no "in my opinion" here. VT is "an objectively bad album," and therefore if we disagree with you then we are "wrong." You state your opinions as empirical truths (or at the very least, as too important or valuable to be challenged). They're not.

Normally I would agree with you on this philosophy. However, it is a fact that VT is an objectively bad album, so I'm going to have to agree with Goobs here.

Sorry, you are wrong.

tongue.gif

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Jul 6 2012, 09:25 PM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jul 6 2012, 12:24 PM)
See, this is the attitude that rubs me and others the wrong way.  There's no "in my opinion" here.  VT is "an objectively bad album," and therefore if we disagree with you then we are "wrong."  You state your opinions as empirical truths (or at the very least, as too important or valuable to be challenged).  They're not.

Normally I would agree with you on this philosophy. However, it is a fact that VT is an objectively bad album, so I'm going to have to agree with Goobs here.

Sorry, you are wrong.

tongue.gif

It really is the one exception to the otherwise immutable definitions of subjectivity and objectivity. wink.gif

QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Jul 7 2012, 09:26 AM)
Wow...so far close to 90% saying this album is at least very good (7/10) with close to 80% saying it is at least great (8/10).  That is nice to see!  new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Well, on this goob scale even a 4 is "pretty good" and a 3 is "ok". I think if a certain vaporous album were given a scale, a 4 would be "abysmal", a 3 would be "offensive to the ears". Hell, I bet a 9 would read as "pretty shitty with only 1 or 2 decent tracks" tongue.gif

I haven't voted yet, but I'd either choose the top (a 10) or the 2nd from the top (a 9). Too soon to tell. All I know is, the more I listen to it the more I want to hear it and the better it sounds. I'm starting to hear more of the nuances, the emotive or adrenalized surges at key changes in the music, and even how a single guitar note is bent in certain parts of songs and it sends you soaring. There is so much to get into on this recording, and there isn't a single weak track. Even my 'least favorite' aren't least favorites at all because they are stellar. It's like there are the great songs, and then there are the songs that have me clinched into a sick obsessive state. And these obsessions change week over week.

What I really mean to say is.. I hate it. laugh.gif

I'm in the 79% camp. To paraphrase Nigel Tufnel "This album goes up to 11"....er why don't you just make 10 louder and ...

Rises to the level of their finest work ever (imo)

<corrected Mr. Tufnel's name spelling>

Edited by CygnusGal

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jul 7 2012, 08:19 AM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jul 6 2012, 11:24 PM)
The songs are good, but I never seem to be in the mood to play it.

that's kind of like where i am. some really good songs on there but i'm not playing them regularly.

Power Windows extremely overrated IMO. Never got why everyone around here goes gaga over that keyboard laden, 80's reeking, guitarless album. That album sounds so dated to me, along with Hold Your Fire

Wow. Didn't realize how many people here that have such low standards in music. Its no wonder that the music, movies and TV shows that are considered popular today are absolute rubbish. I never thought the dumbing-down process could get any worse.

Btw, Nothing personal to anyone, I assure. Just my personal observation.

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Jul 7 2012, 11:42 AM)
Wow. Didn't realize how many people here that have such low standards in music. Its no wonder that the music, movies and TV shows that are considered popular today are absolute rubbish. I never thought the dumbing-down process could get any worse.

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Jul 7 2012, 11:42 AM)
Wow. Didn't realize how many people here that have such low standards in music.  Its no wonder that the music, movies and TV shows that are considered popular today are absolute rubbish.  I never thought the dumbing-down process could get any worse. 

If CA is crap, please tell me a few things in music you like so I know what I'm missing. atickhum.gif

and I'm basically calling you all pea brains, but nothing personal.

yeah...ok.

Edited by Tick