How do you feel about CA about 1 month in?

rushgoober

CA was released about a month ago. Pick the option that fits best for you. Note: If the sound quality is a big concern for you, drop your score down one or two points and specify that.  

235 members have voted

1. 1. CA was released about a month ago. Pick the option that fits best for you. Note: If the sound quality is a big concern for you, drop your score down one or two points and specify that.

• 10 - Absolute Perfection all the way through - a masterpiece - their best or right up there with their very best.
    • 9 - Excellent, not one weak track and nearly perfect. One of their very best.
    • 8 - Great album - one or two weaker tracks - a must-own.
    • 7 - Very good album - mostly very strong - well worth owning.
    • 6 - Not their best, but still pretty darn good.
    • 5 - I don't listen too often, but it's a good album.
    • 4 - It's not bad, a good bit of weaker material - pretty good.
    • 3 - It's ok - I'll listen and enjoy some tracks occasionally, but not that great overall.
    • 2 - There are a couple of good or great tracks, but overall fairly weak.
    • 1 - Barely listenable - for completists only, only one or two even halfway-decent tracks. A real dud.
    • 0 - Just really bad, no redeeming qualities whatsoever. Garbage.

I give this a solid 9 .. quickly becoming one of my favorite albums.

On a side note, off topic.. on tour I pray they don't add string parts to other songs (just because the orchestra is there). That will be a deal breaker for me.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GANRUSH2 @ Jul 13 2012, 07:59 PM)

On a side note, off topic.. on tour I pray they don't add string parts to other songs (just because the orchestra is there).

yea i really don't want the orchestra or strings used on anything but the ca songs. if they start using it on some vault tunes they might break out, that would be a disappointment.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 13 2012, 02:34 PM)
QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jul 13 2012, 11:59 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 13 2012, 01:40 PM)
QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jul 12 2012, 05:21 PM)
QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Jul 12 2012, 07:17 PM)
1022.gif

CA is metal. I f***ing love this album.

1022.gif

it's ok if you think it's metal even though it's not. tongue.gif

It's actually pretty close to metal in quite a few places...

certain spots but not many. too bad they couldn't keep it heavy all the way through.

laugh.gif

You want them to be a heavy metal band?

I often find it funny when people refer to slow as being not heavy. For example, S&A had plenty of heavy songs that just weren't lightning fast. Outside of songs like The Larger Bowl, Hope and BU2B2, all of the songs on the last couple of albums are still pretty heavy in my book. Even Halo Effect and The Wreckers are heavy in most places, just not as fast as some of their other stuff.

I personally like it when all the songs aren't coming at you like a freight train.

How is Halo Effect heavy in any place?

Edited by NYM86

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jul 13 2012, 06:14 PM)

On a side note, off topic.. on tour I pray they don't add string parts to other songs (just because the orchestra is there).

yea i really don't want the orchestra or strings used on anything but the ca songs. if they start using it on some vault tunes they might break out, that would be a disappointment.

you people are crazy.

rush try so hard to do songs exactly as they are on album. the only place where live rush albums are exciting and interesting is when they try and do something different from what's done on album. the strings will make something unique and different - i think that will be amazingly cool.

I will say this until i die( yeah i know trenken, i am old), but i have tagged along with the boys( in the beginning) until now, which brings us to Clockwork Angels. If this is the end of a beautiful and remarkable career, Rush could not have left us with a better piece of recorded beauty. All the knitpicking and sound issues aside, this is a moving, gem. Sit back, enjoy , and think about how fortunate we all were, to listen to these three down to earth, really nice human beings. Thanks fellas. Rush on 2.gif

QUOTE (NYM86 @ Jul 13 2012, 06:24 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 13 2012, 02:34 PM)
QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jul 13 2012, 11:59 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 13 2012, 01:40 PM)
QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jul 12 2012, 05:21 PM)
QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Jul 12 2012, 07:17 PM)
1022.gif

CA is metal. I f***ing love this album.

1022.gif

it's ok if you think it's metal even though it's not. tongue.gif

It's actually pretty close to metal in quite a few places...

certain spots but not many. too bad they couldn't keep it heavy all the way through.

laugh.gif

You want them to be a heavy metal band?

I often find it funny when people refer to slow as being not heavy. For example, S&A had plenty of heavy songs that just weren't lightning fast. Outside of songs like The Larger Bowl, Hope and BU2B2, all of the songs on the last couple of albums are still pretty heavy in my book. Even Halo Effect and The Wreckers are heavy in most places, just not as fast as some of their other stuff.

I personally like it when all the songs aren't coming at you like a freight train.

How is Halo Effect heavy in any place?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1g5ZaUGeFNQ

:53 - 1:19

1:43 - 2:09

2:09 - 2:32 (to a lesser degree)

2:32 - 2:56

no it's not metallica, but it's not barry mainlow either.

Edited by rushgoober

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 14 2012, 01:14 AM)

you people are crazy.

rush try so hard to do songs exactly as they are on album. the only place where live rush albums are exciting and interesting is when they try and do something different from what's done on album. the strings will make something unique and different - i think that will be amazingly cool.

goodpost.gif goodpost.gif

I am SUPER excited for the strings live 1022.gif

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Jul 16 2012, 08:39 AM)

you people are crazy.

Exactly!

I told my sister and brother-in-law (both huge Rush fans who pretty much see them every tour) about the strings, and you could practically see them start drooling. I would have thought that would be most people's reactions. I guess some people don't like change?

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Jul 16 2012, 10:39 AM)

you people are crazy.

I agree. I am surprised to see so many of the die hards against it. They're not going to add it to songs like 2112 or Spirit of Radio where it would sound stupid. I am sure it will be tasteful and appropriate.

After seeing them so many times lately, it will be nice to have something a little different like strings. I am really excited to see the setup and how it all plays out

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 16 2012, 11:44 AM)

you people are crazy.

Exactly!

I told my sister and brother-in-law (both huge Rush fans who pretty much see them every tour) about the strings, and you could practically see them start drooling. I would have thought that would be most people's reactions. I guess some people don't like change?

trink39.gif What's funny is that we always hear TSoR and Tom Sawyer every tour, played exactly the same... this would give us change! ohmy.gif Of course all of the haters wouldn't like that either... unsure.gif

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Jul 16 2012, 11:01 AM)

you people are crazy.

Exactly!

trink39.gif What's funny is that we always hear TSoR and Tom Sawyer every tour, played exactly the same... this would give us change! ohmy.gif Of course all of the haters wouldn't like that either... unsure.gif

yea i want to hear strings during tom sawyer as i'm playing air drums or give me more strings during the spirit of radio when the crowd is going nuts clapping their hands and everything else.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jul 16 2012, 10:17 AM)

you people are crazy.

Exactly!

yea i want to hear strings during tom sawyer as i'm playing air drums or give me more strings during the spirit of radio when the crowd is going nuts clapping their hands and everything else.

Can you imagine Xanadu... with strings! wub.gif drool1.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 16 2012, 01:18 PM)

you people are crazy.

Exactly!

i was being sarcastic. other strings being used for some of the songs on ca, i want the strings used for nothing else.

you people are crazy.

Exactly!

i can't believe you mentioned xanadu and strings in the same sentence. that would be an absolute travesty. angry.gif

I'm fine with them bringing in orchestral instruments for those parts of CA, and maybe add a touch to a few of the old songs. But...

I actually feel sorry for these orchestra players who are brought in by rock bands to play a few notes, but mostly just sit around.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jul 16 2012, 12:52 PM)

you people are crazy.

Exactly!

i can't believe you mentioned xanadu and strings in the same sentence. that would be an absolute travesty. angry.gif

there are some string sounding keys near the end of Limelight. I would totally be down with that.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jul 13 2012, 08:14 PM)

If they don't use it on some of their vault songs, it would be a huge disappointment. Why even bother if we're not getting strings on Losig it or Manhattan Project? Why not give us a new arrangement of something we've heard a billion times? Look how great Resist was with a new arrangement.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jul 16 2012, 03:20 PM)

I actually feel sorry for these orchestra players who are brought in by rock bands to play a few notes, but mostly just sit around.

talk about feel awkward moments... tongue.gif

they're all going to have that look on their faces like this unsure.gif

I give it a '7.' 6 songs get regular play:

BU2B (solidly the best overall song)

Clockwork Angels

BU2B2 (too bad it's not another minute+ longer)

Headlong Flight

The Garden

Caravan

The other 6 songs I skip completely or listen to the good parts only.

Edited by Rushian King

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jul 16 2012, 12:52 PM)

you people are crazy.

Exactly!

If by "travesty" you mean "awesome" then I agree with you 100%! yes.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif common001.gif

Personally, I think it's up there with their very best.

I think it's beyond many people's ability to reconcile their present with their past, and so they will always look with rose-tinted specs at older material but are incapable of either realising or admitting to themselves that something current from an older band can be just as good as during the halcyon days when they (the listener) were younger and life seemed so much more full of promise, and they were generally less curmudgeonly and world weary.

I think Clockwork Angels is an album that has musical depth, power, emotion, real cohesiveness as a piece of work and shows a band that is really pushing themselves.

I also think that this is the first Rush album I have heard since Counterparts that I will always take pleasure from listening to on an ongoing basis, and it is the first since g/p that genuinely stirs my emotions when I listen to it and speaks to me in the here and now of my existence and my beliefs and experiences.

I want to sing (well, shout loudly) along with it and parts of it have already had me in tears of joy, and as far as i'm concerned, that makes me further indebted to and respectful of a band that have basically been my favourite band over my whole teenage and adult lifespan.

Rush albums used to (in the 80s at least) take a good 10 -15 listens to get properly involved with. This was like going back to the 70s (how I wish that I could live it all again) because it only took 5 to really start reaping the benefits.

I cannot wait to see them do this album next year. I may be 47 now but I will be 16 again on 22nd May 2013.

BU2B in Rush. I still very much do.

Edited by The Body Electric

QUOTE (The Body Electric @ Jul 16 2012, 03:18 PM)
Personally, I think it's up there with their very best.

I think it's beyond many people's ability to reconcile their present with their past, and so they will always look with rose-tinted specs at older material but are incapable of either realising or admitting to themselves that something current from an older band can be just as good as during the halcyon days when they (the listener) were younger and life seemed so much more full of promise, and they were generally less curmudgeonly and world weary.

I think Clockwork Angels is an album that has musical depth, power, emotion, real cohesiveness as a piece of work and shows a band that is really pushing themselves.

I also think that this is the first Rush album I have heard since Counterparts that I will always take pleasure from listening to on an ongoing basis, and it is the first since g/p that genuinely stirs my emotions when I listen to it and speaks to me in the here and now of my existence and my beliefs and experiences.

I want to sing (well, shout loudly) along with it and parts of it have already had me in tears of joy, and as far as i'm concerned, that makes me further indebted to and respectful of a band that have basically been my favourite band over my whole teenage and adult lifespan.

Rush albums used to (in the 80s at least) take a good 10 -15 listens to get properly involved with. This was like going back to the 70s (how I wish that I could live it all again) because it only took 5 to really start reaping the benefits.

I cannot wait to see them do this album next year. I may be 47 now but I will be 16 again on 22nd May 2013.

BU2B in Rush. I still very much do.

trink39.gif

I keep coming back to it! I try to listen to other stuff but i just keep coming back to CA. I just came back from vacation and I was listening to CA up and down the east coast and I can tell you this album is Special. Headlong Flight is truly amazing and will make you speed.

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif