How do you feel about CA about 1 month in?

rushgoober

CA was released about a month ago. Pick the option that fits best for you. Note: If the sound quality is a big concern for you, drop your score down one or two points and specify that.  

235 members have voted

1. 1. CA was released about a month ago. Pick the option that fits best for you. Note: If the sound quality is a big concern for you, drop your score down one or two points and specify that.

• 10 - Absolute Perfection all the way through - a masterpiece - their best or right up there with their very best.
    • 9 - Excellent, not one weak track and nearly perfect. One of their very best.
    • 8 - Great album - one or two weaker tracks - a must-own.
    • 7 - Very good album - mostly very strong - well worth owning.
    • 6 - Not their best, but still pretty darn good.
    • 5 - I don't listen too often, but it's a good album.
    • 4 - It's not bad, a good bit of weaker material - pretty good.
    • 3 - It's ok - I'll listen and enjoy some tracks occasionally, but not that great overall.
    • 2 - There are a couple of good or great tracks, but overall fairly weak.
    • 1 - Barely listenable - for completists only, only one or two even halfway-decent tracks. A real dud.
    • 0 - Just really bad, no redeeming qualities whatsoever. Garbage.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7. Three songs are being skipped currently.

A solid 7. Maybe an 8 as it ages more. I don't see it going down to a 6.

Right now, "Carnies" has become the most skippable track.

"Halo Effect" has gained some momentum (but the funny thing is, I think I like it more for what it is NOT than what it is...it's not too long, it doesn't suffer from a repetitive chorus, etc).

"Seven Cities" has also gained some serious ground.

The "strong" tunes haven't weakened a bit (Headlong, CA, Anarchist).

"Wreckers" remains on the fence (it's okay...still not sold on the repetitive chorus, but I understand it's purpose and I don't know how else it would work if it was tweaked, so for that reason I'm giving it every chance to change my mind).

Results may vary, some settling may occur.

QUOTE (tas7 @ Jul 6 2012, 08:09 AM)
I onlyhave little niggles like that annoying wobble board/keyboard effect in the title track. Keep thinking was that necessary?

Opposite here. I love that effect and therefore yes.gif it was necessary. wink.gif

Weak 8. I think Wish Them Well and BU2B would have been better off cut, and one or two other tracks could use some improvement.

smile.gif

Still.. best since Presto. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (greyfriar @ Jul 6 2012, 06:45 AM)
I onlyhave little niggles like that annoying wobble board/keyboard effect in the title track. Keep thinking was that necessary?

Opposite here. I love that effect and therefore yes.gif it was necessary. wink.gif

I agree Grey...every note was necessary...whether or not it suits our tastes.

An artist never completes a project...they abandon it!!!

Luckily we will continue to see an evolution with these songs live.

trink39.gif

Listening to the whole thing yesterday, I just couldn't believe how it was one great song after another. I even enjoyed Halo Effect a lot more than I had previously!

Often when listening to a modern-day Rush album there are parts of the album I'm really not looking forward to, either because they aren't nearly as strong as the rest, or because I know I'm going to have to reach for that skip button, but CA simply isn't like that! I may sometimes choose to skip BU2B2, but at 90 seconds sometimes I just don't bother.

For the most part, the album just keeps on giving and giving for 66 damn minutes! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

So far 91% of everyone rates it between 6-10, 86% rates it between 7-10, and 76% rates it between 8-10, so not bad at all! biggrin.gif

The average score is 7.77, but that number is deceiving, as the 8 people who rated it below a 6 drags the score down considerably from the 81 people who rate it 6 and above. Even still, not too shabby, and this proves definitively that the detractors are in a very small minority - poor folks. wink.gif

Edited by rushgoober

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 6 2012, 08:35 AM)
For the most part, the album just keeps on giving and giving for 66 damn minutes! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

It is fantastic isn't it Gary? I remember the hesitation you had before the release...everything's alright now...all good!

We couldn't ask for anything more. This album is a new direction and cutting edge. Imagine if they make another record with Nick.

trink39.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 6 2012, 08:49 AM)
So far 90% of everyone rates it between 6-10, 85% rates it between 7-10, and 76% rates it between 8-10, so not bad at all! biggrin.gif

The average score is 7.76, but that number is deceiving, as the 8 people who rated it below a 6 drags the score down considerably from the 79 people who rate it 6 and above. Even still, not too shabby, and this proves definitively that the detractors are in a very small minority - poor folks. wink.gif

Going onto Amazon.com, 71% rate it 5-stars (of 5). A full 91% give it 3 of 5 or better.

312 reviews counted.

http://www.amazon.com/Clockwork-Angels-Rus...nDateDescending

A very solid seven that might become a eight. One of their better new albums, only weak tracks being Caravan (really ... that one gets more awful with each listen) and Wish Them Well (whose lyrics are fine). Some being just ok (Halo Effect, Carnies, 7 Cities, Anarchist - while those last two are growing on me, as did BU2B in the album version which is miles above the single version), the others being very very good or even stellar (Headlong Flight, Wreckers - the latter might be their best song in 20 years or so). There's nothing wrong with BU2B2.

I have a slight issue with the Wall Of Sound thing, but that's Raskulinecz (What's Peter Collins doing, BTW?).

Overall, very positive, it's nearly as good as

Vapor Trails

bolt.gif

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jul 6 2012, 10:10 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 6 2012, 08:49 AM)
So far 90% of everyone rates it between 6-10, 85% rates it between 7-10, and 76% rates it between 8-10, so not bad at all! biggrin.gif

The average score is 7.76, but that number is deceiving, as the 8 people who rated it below a 6 drags the score down considerably from the 79 people who rate it 6 and above.  Even still, not too shabby, and this proves definitively that the detractors are in a very small minority - poor folks. wink.gif

Going onto Amazon.com, 71% rate it 5-stars (of 5). A full 91% give it 3 of 5 or better.

312 reviews counted.

http://www.amazon.com/Clockwork-Angels-Rus...nDateDescending

Average = 4.352564103

smile.gif

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jul 6 2012, 07:18 AM)
wow, didn't know people were so concerned about stats.

It's just nice to know conclusively that those who aren't enjoying the album, even though they speak so loudly, are really a tiny minority. They lose out statistically, and they especially lose out because they don't get to enjoy this amazing album that the majority of us enjoy. wink.gif

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jul 6 2012, 10:18 AM)

They must be baseball fans tongue.gif

I love the album and have since the release yes.gif

QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Jul 6 2012, 02:34 PM)
QUOTE (greyfriar @ Jul 6 2012, 06:45 AM)

I agree Grey...every note was necessary...whether or not it suits our tastes.

An artist never completes a project...they abandon it!!!

Luckily we will continue to see an evolution with these songs live.

trink39.gif

Hey man - you're so right, I can't wait to see/hear these babies live. trink39.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 6 2012, 09:25 AM)

It's just nice to know conclusively that those who aren't enjoying the album, even though they speak so loudly, are really a tiny minority. They lose out statistically, and they especially lose out because they don't get to enjoy this amazing album that the majority of us enjoy. wink.gif

huh? huh.gif the only thing that matters is how each individual person hears the album or song. it makes no difference what the numbers say. a high majority of rush fans hate dog years and i enjoy it so numbers mean nothing. how are people who dislike the album or some of the songs losing? they're not just hear things differently. every thread, whether it's liking the new album or showing dislike, has people from both sides giving their opinions. are you losing out on vt? some people would think you are just like you would think that i'm missing out on s & a. 062802puke_prv.gif

Yeah, those are my thoughts too. Most people really dig this album, regardless of what you might read about the sonics or about them not being the same band they once were, etc.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jul 6 2012, 09:37 AM)

huh? huh.gif the only thing that matters is how each individual person hears the album or song. it makes no difference what the numbers say. a high majority of rush fans hate dog years and i enjoy it so numbers mean nothing. how are people who dislike the album or some of the songs losing? they're not just hear things differently. every thread, whether it's liking the new album or showing dislike, has people from both sides giving their opinions. are you losing out on vt? some people would think you are just like you would think that i'm missing out on s & a. 062802puke_prv.gif

True, but some people tend to try to make revisionist arguments and make their opinion out to be some nearly universal thing. Oh this album wasn't well received (when evidence suggests that's INCORRECT), etc.

Of course at the end of the day it only matters what you think. But we're on boards to converse and share opinions with others and garner what they think too.

trink39.gif

If I only cared about what I thought, I wouldn't waste my time posting on a band forum, I'd write it all down in a diary instead. wink.gif I very much am interested in how others think.

Edited by Presto-digitation

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jul 6 2012, 09:55 AM)
QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jul 6 2012, 09:37 AM)

True, but some people tend to try to make revisionist arguments and make their opinion out to be some nearly universal thing. Oh this album wasn't well received (when evidence suggests that's INCORRECT), etc.

Of course at the end of the day it only matters what you think. But we're on boards to converse and share opinions with others and garner what they think too.

trink39.gif

I very much am interested in how others think.

maybe but if you liked a certain song and 99% of the others listeners didn't, would that change your opinion of the song or the way you hear it? i doubt it. i know it wouldn't for me.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jul 6 2012, 10:06 AM)
if you liked a certain song and 99% of the others listeners didn't, would that change your opinion of the song or the way you hear it? i doubt it. i know it wouldn't for me.

Yeah, wouldn't matter to me, either. Take this album, for instance: two of my favorite four songs on CA get regularly picked by y'all as weak and "skippable," yet they remain two of my four favorite songs! (Wish Them Well, The Wreckers)