How do you feel about CA about 1 month in?

rushgoober

CA was released about a month ago. Pick the option that fits best for you. Note: If the sound quality is a big concern for you, drop your score down one or two points and specify that.  

235 members have voted

1. 1. CA was released about a month ago. Pick the option that fits best for you. Note: If the sound quality is a big concern for you, drop your score down one or two points and specify that.

• 10 - Absolute Perfection all the way through - a masterpiece - their best or right up there with their very best.
    • 9 - Excellent, not one weak track and nearly perfect. One of their very best.
    • 8 - Great album - one or two weaker tracks - a must-own.
    • 7 - Very good album - mostly very strong - well worth owning.
    • 6 - Not their best, but still pretty darn good.
    • 5 - I don't listen too often, but it's a good album.
    • 4 - It's not bad, a good bit of weaker material - pretty good.
    • 3 - It's ok - I'll listen and enjoy some tracks occasionally, but not that great overall.
    • 2 - There are a couple of good or great tracks, but overall fairly weak.
    • 1 - Barely listenable - for completists only, only one or two even halfway-decent tracks. A real dud.
    • 0 - Just really bad, no redeeming qualities whatsoever. Garbage.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jul 6 2012, 09:37 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 6 2012, 09:25 AM)
QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jul 6 2012, 07:18 AM)
wow, didn't know people were so concerned about stats.

It's just nice to know conclusively that those who aren't enjoying the album, even though they speak so loudly, are really a tiny minority. They lose out statistically, and they especially lose out because they don't get to enjoy this amazing album that the majority of us enjoy. wink.gif

huh? huh.gif the only thing that matters is how each individual person hears the album or song. it makes no difference what the numbers say. a high majority of rush fans hate dog years and i enjoy it so numbers mean nothing. how are people who dislike the album or some of the songs losing? they're not just hear things differently. every thread, whether it's liking the new album or showing dislike, has people from both sides giving their opinions. are you losing out on vt? some people would think you are just like you would think that i'm missing out on s & a. 062802puke_prv.gif

are you losing out on vt?  some people would think you are just like you would think that i'm missing out on s & a.

Excellent question; I'm interested in hearing his answer.

We're only "missing out" on the albums and songs he loves which we hate. And if we love what he hates, we're either delusional, fooling ourselves, or have bad taste.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (patjnev @ Jul 5 2012, 10:42 PM)
Its still on my Ipod for now .

good to know. sarcasm.gif

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jul 6 2012, 07:55 AM)
Of course at the end of the day it only matters what you think.  But we're on boards to converse and share opinions with others and garner what they think too.

trink39.gif

If I only cared about what I thought, I wouldn't waste my time posting on a band forum, I'd write it all down in a diary instead.  wink.gif    I very much am interested in how others think.

goodpost.gif

I care what other people think for the same reason I did my radio show for years, to introduce people to cool music, to talk about music, to celebrate and share an experience of music, etc. I like when people like the things I like, and I like trying to get people into music I like. Otherwise I wouldn't have bothered and just listened at home on my stereo.

Edited by rushgoober

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 6 2012, 12:27 PM)
I'm not losing out on VT because it's a horrible album.  The people who hate on CA truly are missing out because it's a great album. wink.gif tongue.gif moon.gif

I sure hope there's an implied smilies-8579.png in there somewhere. tongue.gif

We all have albums we love that we can't understand why more people don't get. For me, Caress of Steel is the mother of all underrated Rush albums. I feel like fans who don't "get it" are missing out on a true classic, nearly on par with 2112. sad.gif

For the newer stuff, the interesting thing will be to see what the reactions are to TFE, VT, S&A, and CA in the fullness of time. Based on reactions so far (Amazon, etc.), I think CA will very likely become the clear favorite over the next few years.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 6 2012, 12:42 PM)
I've often said that all opinions are subjective.... except for VT.  That's the one exception of an objectively bad album. wink.gif

eh.gif

Well, right now CA and VT aren't that far apart on Amazon user ratings:

CA, 4.25 stars, 314 ratings

VT, 4 stars, 818 ratings

I'm not losing out on VT because it's a horrible album. The people who hate on CA truly are missing out because it's a great album. wink.gif tongue.gif moon.gif

I've often said that all opinions are subjective.... except for VT. That's the one exception of an objectively bad album.

See, this is the attitude that rubs me and others the wrong way. There's no "in my opinion" here. VT is "an objectively bad album," and therefore if we disagree with you then we are "wrong." You state your opinions as empirical truths (or at the very least, as too important or valuable to be challenged). They're not.

Let's say some people out there feel about CA the exact same way you do about VT. Are they "missing out" on the alleged greatness of CA? (You've said they are.) It's a flat-out "bad album" in their minds! You and I disagree with that opinion, but that doesn't make them "wrong" or mean they're "missing out." If it did, then couldn't we also just as easily say you're missing out on VT???

Remember, your opinion about these albums is no more "factual" than anyone else's opinion.

10 - Amazing creativity from a band who had already written 18 albums worth of material. More refined than 70s Rush; more rock and roll than mid 80s Rush. They hit the balance perfectly for my tastes.

The fact that these songs don't really sound like repeats of prior songs is a really underrated aspect of what they have done in the lat 3 albums.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jul 6 2012, 11:24 AM)
I'm not losing out on VT because it's a horrible album.  The people who hate on CA truly are missing out because it's a great album. wink.gif tongue.gif moon.gif

I've often said that all opinions are subjective.... except for VT. That's the one exception of an objectively bad album.

See, this is the attitude that rubs me and others the wrong way. There's no "in my opinion" here. VT is "an objectively bad album," and therefore if we disagree with you then we are "wrong." You state your opinions as empirical truths (or at the very least, as too important or valuable to be challenged). They're not.

Let's say some people out there feel about CA the exact same way you do about VT. Are they "missing out" on the alleged greatness of CA? (You've said they are.) It's a flat-out "bad album" in their minds! You and I disagree with that opinion, but that doesn't make them "wrong" or mean they're "missing out." If it did, then couldn't we also just as easily say you're missing out on VT???

Remember, your opinion about these albums is no more "factual" than anyone else's opinion.

http://www.co8.org/forum/images/smilies/icon_blahblah.gif

QUOTE (Mr. Henry Gale @ Jul 6 2012, 03:46 PM)
Really good album. I actually didn't listen to it for 2 weeks, and it made me like it more. It held strong.

Easily much better than S&A, CP, T4E.

and many others.

QUOTE (Tony R @ Jul 5 2012, 06:30 PM)
Shit

Watch your language. At least call it do do, or poopy. atickhum.gif

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jul 5 2012, 06:04 PM)
Gary, I still think you're blowing the "negative comments" out of proportion. I think the detractors are few, the lovers of the album are many, and we should just continue to enjoy CA without worrying 'bout those few nattering nabobs of negativity. Why empower those people by giving them so much attention? Don't create another thread trying to figure them out! Just wish them well; thank your stars you're not that way, turn your back and walk away. wink.gif

Very well said, and the detractors seem to be the Usual Suspects we all kind of counted on to be downers on the album right?

I said 8, mostly due to the mastering (which bugs me but not as much as some people), Wish Them Well (I honestly think this is up their with Dog Years as far as bad Rush songs) and The Garden is good but not the masterpiece that everybody thinks.