Clockwork Angels is the Armor & Sword of CA!

rushgoober

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 18 2012, 08:43 PM)
QUOTE (Todem @ Jun 18 2012, 04:36 AM)
I love Armor and Sword. However, Clockwork Angels is a true epic and in my opinion their best prog epic written since The Camera Eye/Natural Science.

Armor and Sword had epic qualities but never for me quite reached that status.

Clockwork Angels MIGHT be as good, or potentially better than Armor & Sword, but it's just too early in the game yet for me to determine that yet. no.gif

You know, you CAN say that one song is better than the other NOW then change your mind several months later. It won't kill you. pokey.gif

A&S is decent, CA is better than decent. trink38.gif

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Theres nothing wrong with A&S but theres quite a few songs on S&A that are better than that, and its certainly not the best song they've done since Subdivisions.

That being said CA is a great gem to find in the new songs. Probably my favorite song to listen to on the album since it came out. It took a few listens for me to get into it but thats one of the benefits of listening to Rush. The more you listen the more you discover and favorite songs tend to change depending on what your listening to.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jun 18 2012, 04:47 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 18 2012, 08:43 PM)
QUOTE (Todem @ Jun 18 2012, 04:36 AM)
I love Armor and Sword. However, Clockwork Angels is a true epic and in my opinion their best prog epic written since The Camera Eye/Natural Science.

Armor and Sword had epic qualities but never for me quite reached that status.

Clockwork Angels MIGHT be as good, or potentially better than Armor & Sword, but it's just too early in the game yet for me to determine that yet. no.gif

You know, you CAN say that one song is better than the other NOW then change your mind several months later. It won't kill you. pokey.gif

laugh.gif

Point well taken, but really, I'm just not sure yet! no.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 18 2012, 01:07 AM)
I don't know if I'm quite ready to say that Clockwork Angels is a better track than Armor and Sword, or that it's even as good in these early stages of listening, but it MIGHT be, and that is saying a LOT as Armor and Sword was their best song since Subdivisions. That I'm even considering it could be as good a song is remarkable! I have an absolutely ridiculous smile on my face whenever I hear the title track of the new album. The song completely kicks my ass! yes.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

At this time, CA may be better than any song on S&A, in fact better than most songs in the last 20 or so years, however, it doesn't redeem the album enough to take over S&A in the rankings.

Clockwork Angels is better than Anything on S&A, by a Mile

I love both songs, both are my favorites on their respective albums. I'm not ready to say that Clockwork Angels is a better song than Armor & Sword though. Like goober, I think A&S is the best song Rush has recorded in many years, probably the best song since PoW/HYF era. Clockwork Angels cetrainly is the A&S of the album but it's just too soon for me to say it's a better song.

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Jun 18 2012, 09:34 AM)
I love both songs, both are my favorites on their respective albums. I'm not ready to say that Clockwork Angels is a better song than Armor & Sword though. Like goober, I think A&S is the best song Rush has recorded in many years, probably the best song since PoW/HYF era. Clockwork Angels cetrainly is the A&S of the album but it's just too soon for me to say it's a better song.

This is where it get's so subjective.

Rush has written some amazing songs since the Pow/HYF era.

Bravado

Ghost of a Chance

Animate

Alien Shore

Cold Fire

The Pass

Available Light

Armor and Sword

The Way The Wind Blows

Working Them Angels

Far Cry

Show Don't Tell

Dreamline

Test For Echo

Driven

Totem

Those songs are all amazing in my book. I feel Armor and Sword is a brooding, moody and crunchy tune. I love it. It has a lot of what I love about Rush.....their dark side if you will.

But I feel the band has finally written a tour de force epic. A song that gives the the impression that something unique and great is about to happen with the introduction section of Clockwork Angels. The intro to the song is so grand in scale and scope, then it goes into this dreamy, silky smooth clean verse.....so classic Rush in every way. Very Pink Floyd that intro is.

Then the solo section kills it with it's transition into the street side blues band breakdown and the Watchmaker's voice blaring on the public address system in Chronos Square.

So visual. The lyrics are some of Neils best fantasy/story driven in decades. It really feels like a movie soundtrack song in every way.

This song "live" is going to be one of the bigest highlights of the up-coming tour no doubt in my mind.

Edited by Todem

I remember the first time I heard Armor & Sword...it was instant goose bump inducing. (Lyrics and all) Loved the methodical, plodding heaviness of it. Still holds up to this day.

From the last 3 albums, I consider Earthshine, A&S, and CA easily the monster tracks.

Armour and Sowrd = Great driving tune while alone at night

Clockwork Angels = Great Driving tune while driving through the Blue Ridge Mts after a Thunderstorm during dusk.

Clock Work Angels FTW!

Armor and Sword, close second!

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 17 2012, 10:07 PM)
I don't know if I'm quite ready to say that Clockwork Angels is a better track than Armor and Sword.

oh you can say it loud and say it often! 1022.gif

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Jun 18 2012, 06:34 AM)

goodpost.gif

And not just because I agree with you!

Well, ok, that might have something to do with it. tongue.gif

QUOTE (jebren72 @ Jun 18 2012, 06:52 AM)
Theres nothing wrong with A&S but theres quite a few songs on S&A that are better than that, and its certainly not the best song they've done since Subdivisions.

That being said CA is a great gem to find in the new songs. Probably my favorite song to listen to on the album since it came out. It took a few listens for me to get into it but thats one of the benefits of listening to Rush. The more you listen the more you discover and favorite songs tend to change depending on what your listening to.

I totally agree with this - the more I delve into Rush, the more my favourites change. I noticed this especially with Vapor Trails - it's been on my ipod for a year now, and my favourite songs have been changing - from 'Ghost Rider' to 'Ceiling Unlimited' to 'Freeze' to 'How It Is' to 'Peaceable Kingdom'. (And originally it was 'Earthshine' and 'Secret Touch'!) There's just so much in the music that often, to quote The Beatles, "the deeper you go, the higher you fly".

I'm looking mighty forward to toiling in the garden today (weather depending, sad.gif ) because that means I can pop in my new Rush album again! Yay to more 'Clockwork Angels' and 'Wish Them Well'!

Hah, on a side note, I mentioned to my boyfriend last night that I totally didn't mind spending the two hours it took to clean the kitchen, as dish-washing time = Rush-listening time. smile.gif

"Clockwork Angels" (the song) hadn't really grabbed me, and I was having a hard time understanding everybody's fuss over it. It was just okay.

Now I finally "get" it. It's an epic work of art and almost an entire Rock Opera unto itself, within the space of a single song.

But it's like the film "Citizen Kane": while I understand its epic-ness and importance and I can appreciate it, it's still not something I feel compelled to re-visit on a regular basis. Meanwhile, I keep hitting 'repeat' on "The Anarchist." smile.gif

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jun 20 2012, 10:36 AM)
QUOTE (Tony R @ Jun 18 2012, 02:00 AM)
Armor and Sword is a bloody awful dirge.

goodpost.gif trink38.gif

yes.gif

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jun 18 2012, 07:47 AM)
You know, you CAN say that one song is better than the other NOW then change your mind several months later.

laugh.gif

But this is Goobs. His favourites list is so structured that nothing can change it.

I mean, I've been trying to set up my 'Top 75' list to add to his thread, and I am having trouble. I mean, any song can beat any other depending on that very day.

But Goobs has it very structured. It's permanent. ohmy.gif

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jun 20 2012, 09:25 AM)
You know, you CAN say that one song is better than the other NOW then change your mind several months later.

laugh.gif

But this is Goobs. His favourites list is so structured that nothing can change it.

I mean, I've been trying to set up my 'Top 75' list to add to his thread, and I am having trouble. I mean, any song can beat any other depending on that very day.

laugh.gif

Dude, so not true!

I originally did a top 50 list, and there was a long gap of time between that and when I did a top 75 list. The songs moved around A LOT in the interim. Even my ranking of Rush albums has changed. Signals was unmovable from the top spot forever, but now it's Hemispheres.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 20 2012, 12:32 PM)
QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jun 20 2012, 09:25 AM)

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Dude, so not true!

I originally did a top 50 list, and there was a long gap of time between that and when I did a top 75 list. The songs moved around A LOT in the interim. Even my ranking of Rush albums has changed. Signals was unmovable from the top spot forever, but now it's Hemispheres.

I don't believe it. no.gif

tongue.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 18 2012, 12:07 AM)
I don't know if I'm quite ready to say that Clockwork Angels is a better track than Armor and Sword, or that it's even as good in these early stages of listening, but it MIGHT be, and that is saying a LOT as Armor and Sword was their best song since Subdivisions. That I'm even considering it could be as good a song is remarkable! I have an absolutely ridiculous smile on my face whenever I hear the title track of the new album. The song completely kicks my ass! yes.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I liked this one alot initially but its losing its whatever at this point.

The chorus I'm not liking so much anymore. Too much like recent Rush that doesn't do alot for me. And I don't like the middle squealy, whiney section. I don't get that part at all.

The rest I really like.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 18 2012, 12:07 AM)
I don't know if I'm quite ready to say that Clockwork Angels is a better track than Armor and Sword, or that it's even as good in these early stages of listening, but it MIGHT be, and that is saying a LOT as Armor and Sword was their best song since Subdivisions.

The song completely kicks my ass! yes.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Goobs--did I just read that Armor and Sword is the best song since Subdivisions in your book?

They must grow amazing weed in California dude...just sayin.

rofl3.gif