RIP Donna Summer

Rushman14

sad.gif

Donna Summer -- the Queen of Disco -- died this morning after a battle with cancer ... TMZ has learned.

We're told Summer was in Florida at the time of her death. She was 63 years old.

Sources close to Summer tell us ... the singer was trying to keep the extent of her illness under wraps. We spoke to someone who was with Summer a couple of weeks ago ... who says she didn't seem too bad.

In fact, we're told she was focused on trying to finish up an album she had been working on.

Summer was a 5-time Grammy winner who shot to superstardom in the '70s with iconic hits like "Last Dance," "Hot Stuff" and "Bad Girls"

She continued her dominance in the '80s with "She Works Hard for the Money" and "This Time I Know It's for Real."

Summer and her producer Giorgio Moroder defined the dance music era of the '70s and influenced acts like Duran Duran and David Bowie to enter the genre.

Summer married Brooklyn Dreams singer Bruce Sudano back in 1980. They had two daughters together.

Edited by Rushman14

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ May 17 2012, 10:48 AM)
sad.gif

Donna Summer -- the Queen of Disco -- died this morning after a battle with cancer ... TMZ has learned.

We're told Summer was in Florida at the time of her death. She was 63 years old.

Sources close to Summer tell us ... the singer was trying to keep the extent of her illness under wraps. We spoke to someone who was with Summer a couple of weeks ago ... who says she didn't seem too bad.

In fact, we're told she was focused on trying to finish up an album she had been working on.

Summer was a 5-time Grammy winner who shot to superstardom in the '70s with iconic hits like "Last Dance," "Hot Stuff" and "Bad Girls"

She continued her dominance in the '80s with "She Works Hard for the Money" and "This Time I Know It's for Real."

Summer and her producer Giorgio Moroder defined the dance music era of the '70s and influenced acts like Duran Duran and David Bowie to enter the genre.

Summer married Brooklyn Dreams singer Bruce Sudano back in 1980. They had two daughters together.

Horrible news. RIP Donna...

Oh no! sad.gif

'On the Radio' album I played a zillion times.

Always tried as a kid to hit that long note in Enough is Enough with Barbara without falling over. laugh.gif

Definitely will be missed.

Rest In Peace, DS rose.gif

Thanks for the memories...

QUOTE (librarian @ May 17 2012, 11:58 AM)
Oh no! sad.gif

'On the Radio' album I played a zillion times.

Always tried as a kid to hit that long note in Enough is Enough with Barbara without falling over. laugh.gif

Definitely will be missed.

Rest In Peace, DS rose.gif
Thanks for the memories...

ha...you just brought back some memories of my own. smile.gif

I really did feel this rather keenly. Sad. As I said on FB, her music is so distinctly hers. RIP.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ May 17 2012, 05:12 PM)
I loved her back in the day...

Yup...she was hot.

Her struggle with cancer was well hidden.

Aw sad.gif

RIP, Donna.

You were a trailblazer and music history will never forget you.

rose.gif

I remember reading about Donna once where it said she had hopes of being a rock singer in the style of Janis Joplin who influenced her to enter a music career. She even played in a few rock groups and yet somehow things worked out that she got noticed for her disco style more than rock.

Wow!!

I know it's late out here in California and most of you are asleep but I have a confession to make!

Guess the beer is talking I mean typing but here it goes! Many of you think I'm weird anyway!!

I started playing the drums in 1978. I was in the 7th grade!

Well when my parents finally gave in and bought me a real drum set in 1980 (it was a Ludwig white pearl kit) I starting blasting records on an old record player and playing to them.

Well for some reason I loved playing to Donna Summer's "On The Radio: Greatest Hits Volume I And II."

It's quite ironic that I started playing drums to disco at such an early age and yet evolved into being an Neil Peart drumming clown, I mean clone.

Another album I remember playing to on the record player way back when was "Paradise Theater" by STYX. Yet a very pop, prog disco album. Is there really such a thing?

Anyway back to Donna Summer. Another memory I have of her is her acting in one of my most favorite movies of all time! It's not my fault, I was addicted to Cinemax as a kid and this movie was on all the time!

Does anyone remember the movie "THANK GOD IT'S FRIDAY?"

Donna Summer had a big part in that flick. I loved The Commodores in that movie too!

Great stuff! I mean "HOT STUFF!"

Damn Donna Summer was HOT!

R.I.P.

1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif