List Bands Or Solo Artists

presto123

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A band out of San Diego in the early 90s named Asphalt Ballet. They got a single into heavy rotation on MTV when that mattered a LOT. I saw them the first time second on the bill to STP at San Diego St. Open Air Amphitheater and definitely about to break out huge and then the lead singer (Gary Jefferies) left to go back home to North Carolina. 2 singers later they were defunct. He doesn't leave and they make it big IMO.

Search 'em on youtube. If you like early 90s rock, I think you'll like 'em.

I also agree with everyone about Living Color and Screaming Trees. I did see ST once and they were excellent. Played the shit out of Sweet Oblivion too and the first 2 LC albums as well.

Edited by driventotheedge

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ May 9 2012, 05:43 PM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ May 9 2012, 08:18 AM)
QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ May 9 2012, 11:49 AM)

Screaming Trees

This is the first band that I thought of when I saw this thread. Their '96 release DUST ((a perfect '10' imho)) is better than most of those hugely popular 90s albums from Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Alice in Chains, and Soundgarden...and I like all of those bands too.

Yeah, they were fantastic, I played Sweet Oblivion to death, and Dust too.

Yeah, Sweet Oblivion was pretty damn good too. trink38.gif

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ May 9 2012, 03:18 AM)
QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ May 9 2012, 11:49 AM)

Screaming Trees

This is the first band that I thought of when I saw this thread. Their '96 release DUST ((a perfect '10' imho)) is better than most of those hugely popular 90s albums from Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Alice in Chains, and Soundgarden...and I like all of those bands too.

The only song I know from them to this day is that I Nearly Lost You Now song and I used to love that song back in the day.(90's) 1022.gif

Kitchens of Distinction - 4 really good albums with good songwriting and music. They don't sound like Rush but I find similarities between these two bands that I can't describe. They weren't progressive rock by any means but there was a progressive aspect to them. A few songs were in the 7 to 8 minute variety.

Dream Academy - They had a major hit with "Life in a Northern Town", but as far as I'm concerned their other tunes were equally as good. They only released 3 albums - 2 of which were produced by David Gilmour - but they broke up because of lack of album sales and wanting to do solo projects. This is the kind of band that could have gone a lot further if circumstances had been different. Great combination of pop, rock, and classical.

Edited by circumstantial tree

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ May 11 2012, 10:35 AM)

Dream Academy - They had a major hit with "Life in a Northern Town", but as far as I'm concerned their other tunes were equally as good. They only released 3 albums - 2 of which were produced by David Gilmour - but they broke up because of lack of album sales and wanting to do solo projects. This is the kind of band that could have gone a lot further if circumstances had been different. Great combination of pop, rock, and classical.

They also did that instrumental of The Smiths' Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want during that classic art museum scene in Ferris Bueller's Day Off as well as Edge Of Forever later on in the movie.

um.. UFO anyone? also Budgie, Diamond Head..

Awesome Canadian band I Mother Earth. They should be huge.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-IRrRc72T2dI/T14t-skqSMI/AAAAAAAAA4c/gYIHx0oLuKk/s1600/IMotherEarth.jpg

QUOTE (invisible airwave @ May 11 2012, 02:49 PM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ May 11 2012, 10:35 AM)

They also did that instrumental of The Smiths' Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want during that classic art museum scene in Ferris Bueller's Day Off as well as Edge Of Forever later on in the movie.

yes, indeed. "The Edge of Forever" is the second track on the first album. The other tune "Please..." wasn't on the album though. I wish it was however.

edit: they did a song called "Girl in a Million (for Edie Sedgwick)" that was the flipside of their hit "Love Parade", which I really like.

Edited by circumstantial tree

QUOTE (VarianStar @ May 17 2012, 01:23 PM)
face to face were beyond better than Green Day, Blink-182, etc yet they never reached their level of fame.

yes.gif