Sorry Old School Rush Fans.....

presto123

2112 came out when I was 14 and was the beginning of my Rush journey. One week before my 50th B-day I am very grateful they are still cranking out rockers like HF, but there really is no comparison.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (metaldad @ Apr 19 2012, 11:34 AM)
I think you feel like that because it's brand new and you are all jacked up about it. I am also but once it's not so new you prob won't feel like that

Yep...this here.

Believe me...I'm loving HF right now. It's awesome.

BUT...anytime something new that's awesome comes out, it's much more enjoyable to listen to than say the songs we've heard a million times (Tom Sawyer, 2112, TSOR, etc). That's natural.

I love HF...and I'm glad they still have that energy. But what they did on 2112, especially on the Overture, is really special. Something that I think they'll always have a hard time topping. It's just that damn good. 1022.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 19 2012, 01:15 PM)
QUOTE (presto123 @ Apr 19 2012, 01:39 AM)
but Headlong Flight makes 2112 sound downright wimpy. I am stunned the boys could pull this off at this stage in the game 1022.gif  2.gif

your enthusiasm is admirable, but once the fresh new car smell of HF wears off, you might come down to earth a little bit. wink.gif

Yes. Fresh music has it merits...especially fresh 2.gif

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Apr 19 2012, 01:30 PM)
I think you feel like that because it's brand new and you are all jacked up about it. I am also but once it's not so new you prob won't feel like that

Yep...this here.

Believe me...I'm loving HF right now. It's awesome.

BUT...anytime something new that's awesome comes out, it's much more enjoyable to listen to than say the songs we've heard a million times (Tom Sawyer, 2112, TSOR, etc). That's natural.

I love HF...and I'm glad they still have that energy. But what they did on 2112, especially on the Overture, is really special. Something that I think they'll always have a hard time topping. It's just that damn good. 1022.gif

Well 2112 and MP arent their 2 most well known albums for no reason. Those are the 2 albums the general public feel are their very best, which I would never argue with.

Even with how nice it is to get anything new, Im not sure it's ever wise to just make some quick statement that it's as good as their best work. Obviously few here agree that 2112 can ever be matched and Id agree with that.

QUOTE (druid13 @ Apr 19 2012, 07:29 AM)
QUOTE (apetersvt @ Apr 19 2012, 07:26 AM)
facepalm.gif

Agree...LOL.....beyond ridiculous discussion.

Count me in.

QUOTE (presto123 @ Apr 19 2012, 03:39 AM)
but Headlong Flight makes 2112 sound downright wimpy. I am stunned the boys could pull this off at this stage in the game 1022.gif 2.gif

I'm not a big early Rush fan, so I'm inclined to agree. I don't think the band approached anything magical until Kings, in fact. Just me.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Apr 19 2012, 03:55 PM)
QUOTE (presto123 @ Apr 19 2012, 03:39 AM)
but Headlong Flight makes 2112 sound downright wimpy. I am stunned the boys could pull this off at this stage in the game 1022.gif  2.gif

I'm not a big early Rush fan, so I'm inclined to agree. I don't think the band approached anything magical until Kings, in fact. Just me.

I agree with you to a point. I think there are plenty of magical moments pre-A Farewell to Kings, just not a magical album. To my ears, 2112 is almost a magical album and everything came together on A Farewell to Kings.

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Apr 19 2012, 02:49 PM)
QUOTE (druid13 @ Apr 19 2012, 07:29 AM)
QUOTE (apetersvt @ Apr 19 2012, 07:26 AM)
facepalm.gif

Agree...LOL.....beyond ridiculous discussion.

Count me in.

Yeah - HF is a cool, driving rock song - but cmon, now.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 19 2012, 01:15 PM)
QUOTE (presto123 @ Apr 19 2012, 01:39 AM)

your enthusiasm is admirable, but once the fresh new car smell of HF wears off, you might come down to earth a little bit. wink.gif

Over 20 listens so far, and i still smell a new Mustang 2.gif

QUOTE (Tony R @ Apr 19 2012, 04:45 AM)
Loud does not = heavy, or good for that matter...

Totally agree!! I may love a lot of 80's metal but their is plenty of metal that some would call kick but that I don't think is really all that good (Megadeath & Metallica are 2 examples).

QUOTE (metaldad @ Apr 19 2012, 10:34 AM)

Yup. Agreed. I kind of chuckled when I read this cuz presto is just loving the new material, and I am too. But give it a couple weeks and then let's revisit this thread LOL

QUOTE (Pound of Obscure @ Apr 19 2012, 07:40 PM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 19 2012, 10:49 AM)
The 2nd side is pretty ripping too though. Memories when Geddy rips into, "You know I told you before, but you didnt hear....". Unequaled vocals.

One of my all-time favorites.

great great tune.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Apr 19 2012, 02:28 PM)

yes.gif

Or perhaps he really doesn't feel that way, as is evidenced by his follow up post which, coincidentally, is the second post in this thread.

Don't people read anymore?

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Apr 19 2012, 10:48 PM)

yes.gif

Or perhaps he really doesn't feel that way, as is evidenced by his follow up post which, coincidentally, is the second post in this thread.

Who has time to read?

yes.gif

Yeah well, he started a thread about it, so here we are. And his second post doesn't exactly cancel out the first, it just softens it a bit, IMO.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Apr 19 2012, 09:55 PM)

yes.gif

Yeah well, he started a thread about it, so here we are. And his second post doesn't exactly cancel out the first, it just softens it a bit, IMO.

Just my opinion. 2112 is a good record but like others have said extremely over-rated. In my Rush album list it's definitely in the bottom half. First time I listened to it was AFTER I heard classics like MP,PW,Signals, and Hemispheres and I was totally wondering what all the fuss was about over that record. It's still far from being a perfect record even though it's an important one in Rush history. I can't even remember the last time I gave it a spin to be honest. confused13.gif