Sorry Old School Rush Fans.....

presto123

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dscrapre @ Apr 19 2012, 10:35 AM)
Sorry Bud. 2112 is immortal. Headlong flight is great. Definitely the best song since Counterparts (and maybe even further back then that) but, It's not even on the same planet as Natural Science, Hemispheres, La Villa, or 2112.

That said, your opinion is valid. You can like HF more than 2112, but you will find very few people who will agree with you. I know I won't. wink.gif

>La Villa

>Heavy

Pick one.

Don't worry about it man, at least half of the posters here have their hindsight obscured by nostalgia. (Many people on TRF think anything post 1982 isn't worth listening to.)

Guys, come on. You don't have a mature discussion by saying shit like "My opinion>your opinion facepalm.gif "

I'm not really familiar with the entirety of 2112 to be honest, but I have to agree that HF is much heavier than anything Rush has released in the past 15 years.

One thing that HF has over 2112 is the lyrical content. We can agree on that, can't we guys?"

laugh.gif

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Apr 19 2012, 06:56 PM)
QUOTE (Pound of Obscure @ Apr 19 2012, 07:40 PM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 19 2012, 10:49 AM)
The 2nd side is pretty ripping too though. Memories when Geddy rips into, "You know I told you before, but you didnt hear....". Unequaled vocals.

One of my all-time favorites.

great great tune.

Yes, and no comparison to HF.......

I became a big Rush fan in the 80's(my fav era) so after getting their 80's catalog I finally went back to explore the early stuff and it was very hit and miss for me. The first four records are like that. There are songs a lot of Rush fans consider classic that I don't even like that well....cough....By-Tor.(I hate that growling noise) And what some of you consider great vocal moments might be cringe worthy to me. To this day it's hard for me to listen to the end of Cygnus on FTK. That.....torn apart.......line.(and right before that with....unending...) I used to fall asleep with that record on and get blasted out of bed with the raucous ending to that song. Edited by presto123

QUOTE (presto123 @ Apr 19 2012, 08:25 PM)
I became a big Rush fan in the 80's(my fav era) so after getting their 80's catalog I finally went back to explore the early stuff and it was very hit and miss for me. The first four records are like that. There are songs a lot of Rush fans consider classic that I don't even like that well....cough....By-Tor.(I hate that growling noise) And what some of you consider great vocal moments might be cringe worthy to me. To this day it's hard for me to listen to the end of Cygnus on FTK. That.....torn apart.......line.(and right before that with....unending...) I used to fall asleep with that record on and get blasted out of bed with the raucous ending to that song.

OMG! facepalm.gif

QUOTE (troutman @ Apr 19 2012, 11:34 PM)
I became a big Rush fan in the 80's(my fav era) so after getting their 80's catalog I finally went back to explore the early stuff and it was very hit and miss for me. The first four records are like that. There are songs a lot of Rush fans consider classic that I don't even like that well....cough....By-Tor.(I hate that growling noise) And what some of you consider great vocal moments might be cringe worthy to me. To this day it's hard for me to listen to the end of Cygnus on FTK. That.....torn apart.......line.(and right before that with....unending...) I used to fall asleep with that record on and get blasted out of bed with the raucous ending to that song.

OMG! facepalm.gif

C'mon man....only serious Rush fans would consider those great vocals. The average rock fan would probably stare at the speakers saying WTF was that? laugh.gif

QUOTE (presto123 @ Apr 19 2012, 08:38 PM)

OMG! facepalm.gif

C'mon man....only serious Rush fans would consider those great vocals. The average rock fan would probably stare at the speakers saying WTF was that? laugh.gif

Yeah,

Well, Rush isn't your average band. So fu** them. biggrin.gif

OMG! facepalm.gif

I with ya on this one, Troutman.

QUOTE (troutman @ Apr 19 2012, 09:54 PM)
Obviously some one has been smoking. cool10.gif rofl3.gif If it wasn't for 2112. We wouldn't even be here. tongue.gif

Not a great argument, IMO. You could say the same about MP since we wouldn't have gotten MP without 2112, but I think MP is the superior work.

Heck, you could say that without the debut we wouldn't have gotten anything else and clearly it's not their best work.

I think there are better songs in the Rush catalog than 2112, but HF isn't one of them. It's a great song, to be sure, and I'm very excited for the new CD, but 2112 is just amazing. If a better song did come along, it would take quite a while for me to declare it better and be certain.

This thread raises an interesting point, well, that is to say most people's reaction to the thread, not the OP's overreaching enthusiasm. wink.gif

What it says is that while HF might be a great Rush song by modern day Rush standards, you really can't stack it up against their classic material, and by reflection, you really can't take most any modern day Rush and compare it to their classic material and expect it to hold up or compare favorably.

That isn't to say HF is a bad track, as it's not, or that some modern day Rush isn't awesome, which it is, but still...

QUOTE (SlyJeff @ Apr 20 2012, 04:01 AM)
QUOTE (troutman @ Apr 19 2012, 09:54 PM)
Obviously some one has been smoking. cool10.gif  rofl3.gif If it wasn't for 2112. We wouldn't even be here. tongue.gif

Not a great argument, IMO. You could say the same about MP since we wouldn't have gotten MP without 2112, but I think MP is the superior work.

Heck, you could say that without the debut we wouldn't have gotten anything else and clearly it's not their best work.

I think there are better songs in the Rush catalog than 2112, but HF isn't one of them. It's a great song, to be sure, and I'm very excited for the new CD, but 2112 is just amazing. If a better song did come along, it would take quite a while for me to declare it better and be certain.

Actually,

I think my point is spot on. Remember, the boys were just about ready to hang it up after COS. 2112 was there breakthrough album. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Apr 19 2012, 09:48 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Apr 19 2012, 02:28 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Apr 19 2012, 11:34 AM)
I think you feel like that because it's brand new and you are all jacked up about it. I am also but once it's not so new you prob won't feel like that

yes.gif

Or perhaps he really doesn't feel that way, as is evidenced by his follow up post which, coincidentally, is the second post in this thread.

Don't people read anymore?

Then he should have hit the edit button if he wrote it wrong .

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 20 2012, 08:24 AM)
What it says is that while HF might be a great Rush song by modern day Rush standards, you really can't stack it up against their classic material, and by reflection, you really can't take most any modern day Rush and compare it to their classic material and expect it to hold up or compare favorably.

Old Rush > New Rush. Got it.

It's a load of crap, but I got it. fing.gif

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Apr 20 2012, 09:54 AM)

laugh.gif

QUOTE (presto123 @ Apr 19 2012, 03:39 AM)
but Headlong Flight makes 2112 sound downright wimpy. I am stunned the boys could pull this off at this stage in the game 1022.gif  2.gif

At this stage of the game? They still have plenty of game! They are not stricken with catheters, wheel chairs or heart monitors? They've alwaysbeen able to do this, they've just haven't wanted too. They have always strived to break new ground. Consider "Headlong Flight!" a gift to the old schoolers!

yes.gif 2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif yes.gif

Edited by losingit2k

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Apr 20 2012, 07:54 AM)

rofl3.gif

In my ranking of the 6 albums post-HYF, they come out at #12 and my #14 through #18 There's some great material there, especially on Counterparts (my #12) and S&A (my #14), but otherwise the music speaks for itself.

I'll be the first one to be thrilled and love a great more modern song from Rush (the first 3 songs on S&A and the three instrumentals on S&A for example), but those have unfortunately been the exception in the last 25 years, not the rule.

I'm not saying old Rush is better than new Rush to be fashionable or anything, just calling 'em like I see 'em. wink.gif