OH MY GOD!

GangsterOnBoats

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Apr 18 2012, 11:36 AM)
Please, people, don't start distributing hard copies of this song on this board -- should anyone ask you for it.

Seriously...at least not until the RSM site crashes.

J/K

QUOTE (gedfan @ Apr 18 2012, 12:35 PM)
can't you understand how a rush fan still wants to listen to new rush as much as possible to let it sink in? jesus, you act like i'm the first fan to not be thrilled upon first listen. i didn't say i hated it, just didn't strike me as that melodic on first listen.

p.s. it's "'you're'" asking.."

It's not melodic. The melody is the weakest part of the song. The playing and the energy is what I initially liked about it.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Apr 18 2012, 10:36 AM)
Please, people, don't start distributing hard copies of this song on this board -- should anyone ask you for it.

yes.gif yes.gif yes.gif It's extremely easy to Google instructions for recording audio from your web browser. There should be no need for people to distribute it here.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Apr 18 2012, 11:38 AM)
can't you understand how a rush fan still wants to listen to new rush as much as possible to let it sink in?  jesus, you act like i'm the first fan to not be thrilled upon first listen.  i didn't say i hated it, just didn't strike me as that melodic on first listen.

It's not melodic. The melody is the weakest part of the song. The playing and the energy is what I initially liked about it.

exactly. thank you.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Apr 18 2012, 11:38 AM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Apr 18 2012, 10:36 AM)

yes.gif yes.gif yes.gif It's extremely easy to Google instructions for recording audio from your web browser. There should be no need for people to distribute it here.

WTF pokey.gif

QUOTE (Powderfinger @ Apr 18 2012, 09:16 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 18 2012, 11:11 AM)
VERY FIRST IMPRESSIONS:

1. The sound quality is horrible - I'm assuming this is because it's a compressed file on the Rolling Stone site and that it will sound much cleaner/clearer on the CD.  The lyrics are VERY hard to make out.

2. VERY F*CKING HEAVY - definitely a continuation of the sound they started on CP and especially on T4E - not crazy about how relentlessly heavy it has to be.

3. Otherwise sounds pretty damn cool.  For awhile I was afraid there would be no real guitar solo, just repeating of the main riff(s), but thankfully there was one in there - not the best Alex solo in the multiverse, but still really cool, and the instrumentation sounds great even with the muddiness of this version.  I at least really like it, and I could grow to love it, especially when I can hear it clearer and discern the lyrics!

I too am concerned about the sound. But I'm guessing this is just an ultra-compressed file.

After 4 listens:

My opinion of the song might improve once it's heard in higher quality - the sound is so compressed that the lyrics are almost indiscernible and there's no instrument separation so that does effect my listening experience dramatically.

I'm trying to keep a cool head and judge accurately. After all, everyone always goes apeshit on listening to any new Rush at first, and only after the adrenaline dies down can anyone make anything close to a rational assessment of their feelings.

After a few listens, well, it's pretty straight ahead rock, not really progressive at all other than some interesting mood/time changes/bridges, it's really heavy, no keyboards, no real room for the song to breathe, not very melodic - kind of reminds me of the T4E-VT in terms of intense heaviness and lack of melody (obviously not my favorite era) along with the pounding heavy metalness of it. Perhaps it will grow on me, especially when I can hear it more clearly, but so far I like it and don't love it.

The bass work in this song is amazing. Can't say the same about the lyrics/vocals... I mean, they have their moments, but they're not Rush's strongest.

Definitely a cool song on the whole though.

...and; did Rush seriously slip some 'cookie monster' vocals in there toward the end?!?!

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Apr 18 2012, 12:47 PM)
My reaction to this is way stronger and positive than that compared to Caravan and BU2B - I can certainly say that.

I agree 5000%.

Also unless they play the whole "concept" live and in order, I can definitely see this being their opener for the tour. Sounds like it was BUILT for it!

2.gif 2.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Apr 18 2012, 09:38 AM)
can't you understand how a rush fan still wants to listen to new rush as much as possible to let it sink in?  jesus, you act like i'm the first fan to not be thrilled upon first listen.  i didn't say i hated it, just didn't strike me as that melodic on first listen.

I'm very pleased with the vocal melody, especially after Caravan. I love Caravan but the vocals did feel a little shoehorned.

Anyone want to fill in the missing lyrics for me? Here is what I have so far.

All the journeys

Of this great adventure

This didn't always feel that way

I wouldn't trade them

Because I made them

The best I could and that's enough to say

Some days were dark

I wish that I could live it all again

Some nights were bright

All the highlights

Of that headlong flight

Holding on with all our might

To where I found that place

I'll stoke the fire on the big steel wheels

Steer the airship right across the stars

I learned to fight, I learned to love, and learned to feel

Oh I wish that i could live it all again

All the treausures

The gold and glory

It didn't always feel that way

I don't regret it

I'll never forget it

I wouldn't trade tomorrow for today

Some days were dark

Some nights were bright

I'll stoke the fire of the big steel wheels

Oh I wish that I could live it all again

*garbled voice* The days were dark

*garbled voice* And the nights were bright

*garbled voice* Hey man, I would never trade tomorrow for today

*garbled voice* Yeah

All the highlights

Of that headlong flight

Holding on with all our might

Some days were dark

Some nights were bright

Oh i wish that I could live it all again

Oh I wish that I could

Oh I wish that I could live it all again

Special thanks to Snaked, rushgoober, eezyrider, danielmclark, and http://cygnus-x1.net for helping out!

Edited by Strangiato

Not too fond of the "I learned to fight..." lumbering section (plods a bit), but it screams directly following that part. That modulated spoken part is pretty cool and a bit different for the boys. Fine energy overall. Edited by Presto-digitation