OH MY GOD!

GangsterOnBoats

QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 18 2012, 03:51 PM)
QUOTE (eshine @ Apr 18 2012, 03:46 PM)
I would like to think we are old enough to give our differing opinions without attacking each other guys.

It's a Rush song - of course not everyone is going to love or even like it - but EVERYONE is entitled to share an opinion even if it's negative.

All that's important is how YOU feel about the song.

1022.gif

I learned real quick that is not the case on this site. Someone doesnt like something? They're just a troll and should not be allowed to talk about what they dont like.

If you love the song, you can post it multiple times, but even if you do it in an adult manner you cant even once say what you dont like. Thats how Rush fans are apparently. Have to like everything that put out.

So by implication everyone who says they like the song and disagrees with you and dares to say so must be the real trolls eh?

Maybe you'd prefer it if everyone agreed with you, or just ignored you. There's not many other options...

QUOTE (canadianice @ Apr 18 2012, 03:30 PM)
QUOTE (Alexmai @ Apr 18 2012, 03:25 PM)
Is it me or it's a FANTASTIC song? Can't wait for a live version!!!

It sure is, i went away from it it for about an hour, i just listened again, and i am totally BLOWN AWAY 2.gif

Its sick. Surpassed expections for me

QUOTE (treeduck @ Apr 18 2012, 05:02 PM)
I would like to think we are old enough to give our differing opinions without attacking each other guys.

It's a Rush song - of course not everyone is going to love or even like it - but EVERYONE is entitled to share an opinion even if it's negative.

1022.gif

I learned real quick that is not the case on this site. Someone doesnt like something? They're just a troll and should not be allowed to talk about what they dont like.

If you love the song, you can post it multiple times, but even if you do it in an adult manner you cant even once say what you dont like. Thats how Rush fans are apparently. Have to like everything that put out.

So by implication everyone who says they like the song and disagrees with you and dares to say so must be the real trolls eh?

Maybe you'd prefer it if everyone agreed with you, or just ignored you. There's not many other options...

There's not liking something, and then there is HATING EVERYTHING. pokey.gif

(I'm kidding, trenken - I just couldn't resist).

The vocal melody is (after 3 whole listens) the weakest part of the song to me. But I don't dislike it at all and as I mentioned earlier, it's definitely found a part of my brain in which to reside and repeat! So much for "not catchy".

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Apr 18 2012, 03:51 PM)
QUOTE (thesweetscience @ Apr 18 2012, 04:45 PM)
QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Apr 18 2012, 03:00 PM)
QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Apr 18 2012, 11:58 AM)
QUOTE (thesweetscience @ Apr 18 2012, 02:54 PM)
Listening to it for the first time.

I have goosebumps.

I wish I had a time machine so I could go back a few hours and listen to it for the first time all over again!

trink39.gif

We spoiled all the "surprises" we expected for tomorrow. How long before the remorse kicks in? laugh.gif

I've only listened to it 4 times and I seriously can't understand those complaining it's not catchy. It's totally stuck in my head smile.gif

1022.gif

I know right? I can't stop humming it.

For those who say this song lacks melody, I give you this. ^^^

I'm not sure why anyone would think it lacks melody. Besides the kick ass music, I noticed on the first listen it was melodic and the chorus is very catchy.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Apr 18 2012, 03:51 PM)
QUOTE (Animate @ Apr 18 2012, 03:47 PM)
In fact, the song being an allegory for Neil and just Rush is even more fitting. 
The big steel wheels he stokes are his drums,
The airship he has been steering into the stars is Rush,
The headlong flight describes his plummet into the whole early experience of Rush- touring and playing, going along for the ride, living from gig to gig, not looking back or planning too far ahead.

dude that's pretty deep. cool10.gif

cool10.gif

Really though, it all fits. Imagining an author like Neil can write lyrics that fit both the story in book and his own life does not seem outlandish to me.

QUOTE (Mara @ Apr 18 2012, 04:08 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Apr 18 2012, 05:02 PM)

1022.gif

There's not liking something, and then there is HATING EVERYTHING. pokey.gif

(I'm kidding, trenken - I just couldn't resist).

The vocal melody is (after 3 whole listens) the weakest part of the song to me. But I don't dislike it at all and as I mentioned earlier, it's definitely found a part of my brain in which to reside and repeat! So much for "not catchy".

I know and agree with what you are saying, and like you I wish that I could live it all again. I keep stoking the fires of the big steel wheels. laugh.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Apr 18 2012, 01:52 PM)
QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Apr 18 2012, 12:43 PM)
rage.gif

Terrible time to be stuck on a conference call!!!

Still haven't heard it... sad.gif

The song is very 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif with quite a bit of 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif and huge amount of 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

trink38.gif

Hell yeah!!!! I am so glad that I am not dissapointed! Onmy fourth listen. I disagree with those that say ther is no melody. THe chorus(if you wanna call it that-"stoke the fires of the big steel wheels..etc") is a perfect change for the song 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 18 2012, 02:11 PM)
Will I grow to love this song as much as their classics from the 70's and 80's? I doubt it. Is it as good as Far Cry or Armor and Sword? No. The song, however, is growing on me, and it's more than I expected, so I'm biggrin.gif

I enjoy Armor and Sword but this kinda kicks it's ass.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 18 2012, 04:11 PM)
Will I grow to love this song as much as their classics from the 70's and 80's? I doubt it. Is it as good as Far Cry or Armor and Sword? No. The song, however, is growing on me, and it's more than I expected, so I'm biggrin.gif

You need a new set of ears. tongue.gif This blows ANYTHING on SnA out of the water.

Wow, listen to that guitar solo - that must be where the guys in the listening party got "By-tor and the snow dog" from. It nearly sounds like you could layer the By-tor guitar solo over it. And obviously some of those drum fills.

I still think the claim is ridiculous - this song doesn't even remotely remind me of By-tor, but still, I can see how you could force that connection.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 18 2012, 05:11 PM)

I think for people like you who are on the fence but are leaning towards the "I Like It" side, hearing a lesser compressed/higher quality version of it will up the Like factor considerably.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Apr 18 2012, 03:18 PM)
Will I grow to love this song as much as their classics from the 70's and 80's?  I doubt it.  Is it as good as Far Cry or Armor and Sword?  No.  The song, however, is growing on me, and it's more than I expected, so I'm biggrin.gif

I think for people like you who are on the fence but are leaning towards the "I Like It" side, hearing a lesser compressed/higher quality version of it will up the Like factor considerably.

Toat.

QUOTE (presto123 @ Apr 18 2012, 04:14 PM)
Will I grow to love this song as much as their classics from the 70's and 80's?  I doubt it.  Is it as good as Far Cry or Armor and Sword?  No.  The song, however, is growing on me, and it's more than I expected, so I'm biggrin.gif

You need a new set of ears. tongue.gif This blows ANYTHING on SnA out of the water.

you can say that again. yes.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Apr 18 2012, 04:18 PM)

I think there are only 2 people on that fence and the two that are we could have predicted would still be on there. rofl3.gif

Its heavy, it rocks. The solo section is what I've been waiting on since, I don't know, 1984? They are channeling By-Tor there.

They can't seem to break from the Creed wall of sound approach though. And maybe my ears are just shot from 30 years of drumming but it sure sounds like its been Vapor Trailed to me. Just a loud roar through most of it.

Gary Really? This blows both of the songs you just mentioned out of the water! With REALLY big guns! This song has serious cojones!! That's balls for my english speaking friends!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Apr 18 2012, 02:23 PM)

Gary Really? This blows both of the songs you just mentioned out of the water! With REALLY big guns! This song has serious cojones!! That's balls for my english speaking friends!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

Being overpowered doesn't translate as best song ever. Far Cry has an amazing chorus and kicks my arse. Armor & Sword has very powerful and moving lyrics. Don't get me wrong, so far I'm seriously enjoying this song, just not as much as those two. It's at least very good, and possibly truly great - too early to tell for me!