Headlong Flight

iluvgeddy05

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Apr 2 2012, 05:52 PM)
QUOTE (eshine @ Apr 2 2012, 05:51 PM)
QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Apr 2 2012, 05:35 PM)
that's just the general feeling i got from sitting in the 8th row and looking around at all the people who looked not very enthusiastic and even yawning during the s & a material.

Right - and everyone hates Roll the Bones, despite the fact that it receives thunderous applause every time they play it.

No one is ever going to argue that the old standards don't get the audience more charged up then new material, but the new material is always well received and the band should be commended for always including fresh material in their set rather then resting on their laurels.

huh.gif

What is confusing about this statement?

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (HemispheresserehpsimeH @ Apr 2 2012, 05:57 PM)
QUOTE (eshine @ Apr 2 2012, 05:42 PM)
QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Apr 2 2012, 05:29 PM)
if they asked the crowd would you rather hear more of s & a or more of the past, a very high percentage would rather hear more from the past.

But they don't ask, do they?

Never have, never will.

Its astonishing to me that people still wihine about having to endure a lot of new material at a Rush show.

Uhm, Its a Rush show.

yes they do and the crowd was yelling after the 2nd song to start the second set, please no more s & a!!!!!!!

I doubt this actually happened. Weren't you on a pee break then anyways?

If it did, it was probably a few bloated, drunk guys who came to hear "Limelight".

No true fan of the band with an ounce of class would behave this way at a Rush show.

if they asked the crowd would you rather hear more of s & a or more of the past, a very high percentage would rather hear more from the past.

Never have, never will.

Its astonishing to me that people still wihine about having to endure a lot of new material at a Rush show.

Uhm, Its a Rush show.

yes they do and the crowd was yelling after the 2nd song to start the second set, please no more s & a!!!!!!!

What an awful bunch of prats you were sitting near. I saw 3 shows on the TM tour; opening night, and two at Red Rocks and I experienced NONE of this. Crowd was jumping from the first song to the last--- Except for that pock faced dude with the vicious mullet who got pissed during Presto and didn't return until Tom Sawyer....Hey, wait a second??...

QUOTE (HigherWater @ Apr 2 2012, 06:15 PM)

Never have, never will.

Uhm, Its a Rush show.

What an awful bunch of prats you were sitting near. I saw 3 shows on the TM tour; opening night, and two at Red Rocks and I experienced NONE of this. Crowd was jumping from the first song to the last--- Except for that pock faced dude with the vicious mullet who got pissed during Presto and didn't return until Tom Sawyer....Hey, wait a second??...

Not what I experienced in Chicago. I didn't hear anybody openly complaining but you could just feel the energy go out of the crowd like a deflating balloon. As soon as they got through the SnA set and Ged started the Subdivisions keys the place exploded. Some songs are good studio songs that don't translate well live and I really think that is the case with the majority of SnA.

QUOTE (presto123 @ Apr 2 2012, 06:32 PM)
QUOTE (HigherWater @ Apr 2 2012, 06:15 PM)

Never have, never will.

Uhm, Its a Rush show.

Not what I experienced in Chicago. I didn't hear anybody openly complaining but you could just feel the energy go out of the crowd like a deflating balloon. As soon as they got through the SnA set and Ged started the Subdivisions keys the place exploded. Some songs are good studio songs that don't translate well live and I really think that is the case with the majority of SnA.

Subdivisions did blow the place apart lol - it was definately clever placement.

But the crowd seemed very receptive (to me) during the Snakes songs. The Way the Wind Blows was particularly stellar.

The only time I ever really noticed any sort of "backlash" towards new music was during the HYF tour - and again, it was the usual suspects - drunken idiots throwing beer, ect.

I'm definitely the first to admit that Rush's new music isn't nearly as great as its old music; but it's different. The new/old variety makes for an excellent show. And the newer the songs get, the more they're tailored toward the huge, expensive live experience. The new songs are loud, they pack a thunderous kick, and surround you with their explosive warmth, as opposed to the old music that hits you directly with volleys of tight, disciplined, laser-guided bullets. Edited by Steel Rat

that's just the general feeling i got from sitting in the 8th row and looking around at all the people who looked not very enthusiastic and even yawning during the s & a material.

Right - and everyone hates Roll the Bones, despite the fact that it receives thunderous applause every time they play it.

No one is ever going to argue that the old standards don't get the audience more charged up then new material, but the new material is always well received and the band should be commended for always including fresh material in their set rather then resting on their laurels.

>Implying everyone hates Roll The Bones dazed025.gif

QUOTE (DistantEarlyRushFan @ Apr 2 2012, 08:53 PM)

If he'll imply it, I'll just flat out say it: around here, people who admit they like Roll the Bones are generally spat upon by the "purists" who think the band ended in 1981. So yeah... I get his point. If you go by what the loudest wonks have to say about 'em, it must seem like everyone hates Roll the Bones... despite the concert venues going a bit nuts when it gets played.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Apr 2 2012, 10:57 PM)
QUOTE (DistantEarlyRushFan @ Apr 2 2012, 08:53 PM)

If he'll imply it, I'll just flat out say it: around here, people who admit they like Roll the Bones are generally spat upon by the "purists" who think the band ended in 1981. So yeah... I get his point. If you go by what the loudest wonks have to say about 'em, it must seem like everyone hates Roll the Bones... despite the concert venues going a bit nuts when it gets played.

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd103/laserspray/internet%20stuff/smilies/exactly.gif

I think that they manage to find a good balance between old stuff and new stuff. Personally, I like to hear the new stuff as well as my old favorites. The new stuff is music they are excited about. It's music that they have just recently created and they want to share their joy with us. Seriously, anyone who doesn't at least GET that (even if they don't like it) has no business filling up a seat that a truly appreciative fan might want.

QUOTE (HigherWater @ Apr 2 2012, 05:34 PM)
I, for one would rather hear Alex's Faithless solo then Subdivisions for the 3000th time.

goodpost.gif

Alex's guitar solo's came back with S&A. He always crafted awesome ones. I look forward to some new ones.

QUOTE (eshine @ Apr 2 2012, 06:23 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Apr 2 2012, 02:04 PM)
That was flat out painful and a very dumb idea

No it was actually a great idea - I remember grinning ear to ear the entire time, knowing how pissed off some fans would be that Rush had the audacity to devote five consecutive songs to new material. It was ballsy and just shows that while they care about their fans, they are more interested in pleasing themselves rather then cater to people who aren't interested in their current work

And from what I recall, the tour did pretty well lol.

I hope they play Clockwork Angels in its entirety.

Absolute agreement here, as well as the post pointing out PT playing all of The Incident. A true Progressive show in playing a concept album start to finish. That would one for the fans and not the casual concert goer.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Apr 3 2012, 06:41 AM)
QUOTE (eshine @ Apr 2 2012, 06:23 PM)

No it was actually a great idea - I remember grinning ear to ear the entire time, knowing how pissed off some fans would be that Rush had the audacity to devote five consecutive songs to new material. It was ballsy and just shows that while they care about their fans, they are more interested in pleasing themselves rather then cater to people who aren't interested in their current work

Absolute agreement here, as well as the post pointing out PT playing all of The Incident. A true Progressive show in playing a concept album start to finish. That would one for the fans and not the casual concert goer.

Well I'm sure the second set will be The Clockwork Angels Suite in its Entirety! Thats for sure. Some of the unrelated songs will probably show up on the first set! iT MIGHT LOOK LIKE THIS:

Set 1:

Limelight

Analog Kid

Kid Gloves

Cut to the Chase

Jacobs Ladder

Headlong Flight

New Song Form CA (Unrelated to Suite)

Where's my Thing?

Show Don't Tell

2nd Song for CA(Unrelated to Suite)

Lock and Key

Middletown Dreams

Freewill

YYZ

Set 2:

Caravan

BU2B

Clockwork Angels (Rest of CA Suite)

Test For Echo

Open Secrets

Vapor Trails

Half the World

Distant Early Warnings

NalNar/ Drum Folo

Alex's Solo/ A Farewell to Kings

Hemispheres (Prelude)

Xanadu (Entire)

Overture/ Temples/ Finale

Encore;

Far Cry

Tom Sawyer

The Spirit of Radio

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

Edited by losingit2k

QUOTE (eshine @ Apr 2 2012, 05:23 PM)

If the 5 songs were Great from the new album, i would have loved it . Since S&A was the new album i wanted to vomit . I love the 2 new songs and if C.A. is as good as them, i have no prob with the band doing the whole new album . As far as them" Caring "about their fans ? I don't know if i would go that far .

A true Progressive show in playing a concept album start to finish. That would one for the fans and not the casual concert goer.

What we've seen in recent years, recent tours, is that Rush are finally "getting it." The makeup of the audience at a Rush concert is mostly diehard fans who want to hear deep cuts, NOT "casual concert goers" waiting for "Closer to the Heart," and I think they now know it. That's why songs like "Between Sun and Moon," "Between the Wheels," "Circumstances," and "Digital Man" have appeared (or re-appeared) in their setlists.

Edited by GeddyRulz

QUOTE (metaldad @ Apr 4 2012, 01:03 PM)

If the 5 songs were Great from the new album, i would have loved it . Since S&A was the new album i wanted to vomit . I love the 2 new songs and if C.A. is as good as them, i have no prob with the band doing the whole new album . As far as them" Caring "about their fans ? I don't know if i would go that far .

Honestly, unless it's a concept, I don't think it's good to just put a crapload of new songs (no matter how good they are) back-to-back-to-back.

I like S&A, and really like all of those 5 songs, but I just didn't think the pacing was good. I'd prefer they split new songs throughout the show.

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Apr 4 2012, 12:23 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Apr 4 2012, 01:03 PM)

Honestly, unless it's a concept, I don't think it's good to just put a crapload of new songs (no matter how good they are) back-to-back-to-back.

I like S&A, and really like all of those 5 songs, but I just didn't think the pacing was good. I'd prefer they split new songs throughout the show.

Yeah I didnt think that was smart either. I saw them at PNC and the place was just dead for at least 20 solid minutes. There were not very many people there standing up. And most of the ones that were, were heading on beer runs and bathroom breaks. Then when they started Subdivisions then the place blew up.

I realized they dont even need to put out any new music. They can just do tour after tour of old songs because many of their current fans obviously were not loving the new stuff when I was there. I think at least 90% of that place was there to hear the old stuff.

They really should have split all of them up.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Apr 4 2012, 11:18 AM)
A true Progressive show in playing a concept album start to finish. That would one for the fans and not the casual concert goer.

What we've seen in recent years, recent tours, is that Rush are finally "getting it." The makeup of the audience at a Rush concert is mostly diehard fans who want to hear deep cuts, NOT "casual concert goers" waiting for "Closer to the Heart," and I think they now know it. That's why songs like "Between Sun and Moon," "Between the Wheels," "Circumstances," and "Digital Man" have appeared (or re-appeared) in their setlists.

I guess it's a matter of perception but I just don't agree with this, I'm really happy with those rare songs Rush has been playing because their shows have been longer since 1996 but the crowds for all these older rock bands are overwhelmingly the types that mostly only know what they hear on greatest hits albums and classic rock radio. It's just apparent from the reactions to those songs. [2112 Overture/Temples, Closer to the Heart, The Trees, The Spirit of Radio, Freewill, Tom Sawyer, Red Barchetta, YYZ, Limelight, Subdivisions] - Those 10 songs are what 90% of the crowd are there to hear on any given night and they're expected by those fans on every tour. That's no slam on the band because it's not unique to them, it's just an honest observation of the typical classic rock music fan or concert-goer in general.

I'm seeing this same thing on Van Halen's forum. VH has been going above and beyond pulling out rare old songs every few shows that they barely even played when they were new plus the new album has gotten rave reviews and is universally popular with the VH fans who bothered to get it and yet a common rant on their forum is that as soon as something is played that is not a typical VH "radio song" the bulk of the crowd plops down in their seat whether it's new or an old rarity. As much as the hardcores are tired of the the same old overplayed songs like Jump, Panama, and Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love and want them retired they are the very songs the crowd jumps out of their seat for every time. For old bands like Rush and VH and others that reaction has everything to do with the fact that a huge part of the crowd only knows those songs.

When Rush plays either several new songs or whether they play several of the more obscure songs in a row and then plays a signature song the reaction is the same. And it's evident that it's not "Finally! Something I like!" it's more "Finally! Something I know!" People remarked about the enthusiastic reaction Subdivisions got after 5 S&A songs but I saw 5 shows on that tour (3 on the first leg, 2 on the second) and the exact same thing happened in the first set. The crowd was all standing when the band came on stage and through Limelight, and then progressively through Digital Man, Entre Nous, and Mission, the entire crowd sat down and tuned out and many either left their seats or just started talking and not even watching the show. The bulk of the crowd simply doesn't even know what they are. At the very first notes of Freewill the whole crowd jumped up or ran back to their seats as a group and you could practically see a "Hey, I know this one!" thought bubble over their heads.

On the Time Machine tour the first 4 songs of MP still got a much better reaction than The Camera Eye got at the 2 shows I went to. And I was in the 3rd row dead center for the Austin show of the Counterparts tour and the instant The Analog Kid started the 2 people in front of me were yelling/talking to each other trying to figure out what song it was and one finally managed to convince the other that it must be a new song because it didn't seem very familiar. I laughed. These people were in the second row for crap's sake and didn't even know what song it was. I've seen this for all of my roughly 30 Rush shows covering over 25 years and at countless other classic rock bands' shows. I'd bet serious money that if you polled the people coming in the gates at the shows the vast majority couldn't even name more than 30 Rush songs.

Observation/rant over. smile.gif

By the way, I'm really not as upset with that as it seems, after all, the casual fans are what support the scale of the tours/shows and that's a good thing. But the fans like us that hang out on fan forums who claim things like "The band should just do a B sides tour" or "The crowd would go crazy if they played all of Caress of Steel" are just projecting their fantasies onto a bunch of people who couldn't care less for the most part.

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Apr 4 2012, 02:35 PM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Apr 4 2012, 11:18 AM)

I guess it's a matter of perception but I just don't agree with this, I'm really happy with those rare songs Rush has been playing because their shows have been longer since 1996 but the crowds for all these older rock bands are overwhelmingly the types that mostly only know what they hear on greatest hits albums and classic rock radio. It's just apparent from the reactions to those songs. [2112 Overture/Temples, Closer to the Heart, The Trees, The Spirit of Radio, Freewill, Tom Sawyer, Red Barchetta, YYZ, Limelight, Subdivisions] - Those 10 songs are what 90% of the crowd are there to hear on any given night and they're expected by those fans on every tour. That's no slam on the band because it's not unique to them, it's just an honest observation of the typical classic rock music fan or concert-goer in general.

I'm seeing this same thing on Van Halen's forum. VH has been going above and beyond pulling out rare old songs every few shows that they barely even played when they were new plus the new album has gotten rave reviews and is universally popular with the VH fans who bothered to get it and yet a common rant on their forum is that as soon as something is played that is not a typical VH "radio song" the bulk of the crowd plops down in their seat whether it's new or an old rarity. As much as the hardcores are tired of the the same old overplayed songs like Jump, Panama, and Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love and want them retired they are the very songs the crowd jumps out of their seat for every time. For old bands like Rush and VH and others that reaction has everything to do with the fact that a huge part of the crowd only knows those songs.

When Rush plays either several new songs or whether they play several of the more obscure songs in a row and then plays a signature song the reaction is the same. And it's evident that it's not "Finally! Something I like!" it's more "Finally! Something I know!" People remarked about the enthusiastic reaction Subdivisions got after 5 S&A songs but I saw 5 shows on that tour (3 on the first leg, 2 on the second) and the exact same thing happened in the first set. The crowd was all standing when the band came on stage and through Limelight, and then progressively through Digital Man, Entre Nous, and Mission, the entire crowd sat down and tuned out and many either left their seats or just started talking and not even watching the show. The bulk of the crowd simply doesn't even know what they are. At the very first notes of Freewill the whole crowd jumped up or ran back to their seats as a group and you could practically see a "Hey, I know this one!" thought bubble over their heads.

On the Time Machine tour the first 4 songs of MP still got a much better reaction than The Camera Eye got at the 2 shows I went to. And I was in the 3rd row dead center for the Austin show of the Counterparts tour and the instant The Analog Kid started the 2 people in front of me were yelling/talking to each other trying to figure out what song it was and one finally managed to convince the other that it must be a new song because it didn't seem very familiar. I laughed. These people were in the second row for crap's sake and didn't even know what song it was. I've seen this for all of my roughly 30 Rush shows covering over 25 years and at countless other classic rock bands' shows. I'd bet serious money that if you polled the people coming in the gates at the shows the vast majority couldn't even name more than 30 Rush songs.

Observation/rant over. smile.gif

By the way, I'm really not as upset with that as it seems, after all, the casual fans are what support the scale of the tours/shows and that's a good thing. But the fans like us that hang out on fan forums who claim things like "The band should just do a B sides tour" or "The crowd would go crazy if they played all of Caress of Steel" are just projecting their fantasies onto a bunch of people who couldn't care less for the most part.

This couldn't be more correct.

Grover Collins is one of the radio people that heard Headlong Flight from a Roadrunner rep, then commented on it. A couple days ago, and again today, Grover Collins tweeted that "Headlong Flight" would be available on iTunes on 4/24.

Grover All Over

Some twit should ask him what the heck he is talking about.

If that's true, I seriously hope they are not going to f-ing release this album one song at a time digitally prior to making the whole CD album available.

QUOTE (Rush-O-Matic @ Apr 4 2012, 02:44 PM)
Grover Collins is one of the radio people that heard Headlong Flight from a Roadrunner rep, then commented on it. A couple days ago, and again today, Grover Collins tweeted that "Headlong Flight" would be available on iTunes on 4/24.

Grover All Over

Some twit should ask him what the heck he is talking about.

If that's true, I seriously hope they are not going to f-ing release this album one song at a time digitally prior to making the whole CD album available.

He also said on March 30th about HF:

"I'm in radio. Its the new single. Will be out this week to radio."

I'm sure he means well but I have no confidence in what he says. If HF is on the radio by Friday then I'll take him more seriously.

oooh from RIAB

We learned last week that Headlong Flight is the title of the first single that will be released from Rush's upcoming Clockwork Angels album. Roadrunner began shopping the single out to various folks in the radio industry last Wednesday setting the Twittersphere abuzz with reactions - all very positive. The track is about 7.5 minutes long and has been described as epic by those who have heard it along with some comparisons to By-tor and the Snow Dog and mid-70s Rush. You can read all the reactions in this post. I'd initially heard that the single will be released to radio on April 19th but now have some more details. Apparently there will be a very limited (probably just a one-off spin) preview release on select stations next Wednesday, April 11th. Then the track will be released on a limited number of stations April 19-20th. The general radio release along with a digital release on iTunes and other formats will occur on Tuesday, April 24th. More information as I learn it.

Just posted on RIAB, single will be given a special airing (probably one spin on a select few stations) on Wednesday 11th April, with more stations getting it on 19th-20th, then a general release to radio and iTunes on 24th April.

http://www.rushisaband.com/blog/2012/04/04...-release-update

1022.gif 2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

EDIT: Two posters beat me to it, damn! laugh.gif

Edited by Unobtrusive Companion

I told my wife about this news. She was like, they are playin youuuu.. laugh.gif But I says, that's RR trying to promote and create buzz. And it's working! And she's like yeah, to the 50 of you on that site doh.gif

Eh, these are good times, so let the good times roll. We're gonna have ourselves a good ol fashioned Tapers Alert trink38.gif 2.gif