Headlong Flight

iluvgeddy05

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Apr 4 2012, 04:13 PM)
oooh from RIAB

We learned last week that Headlong Flight is the title of the first single that will be released from Rush's upcoming Clockwork Angels album. Roadrunner began shopping the single out to various folks in the radio industry last Wednesday setting the Twittersphere abuzz with reactions - all very positive. The track is about 7.5 minutes long and has been described as epic by those who have heard it along with some comparisons to By-tor and the Snow Dog and mid-70s Rush. You can read all the reactions in this post. I'd initially heard that the single will be released to radio on April 19th but now have some more details. Apparently there will be a very limited (probably just a one-off spin) preview release on select stations next Wednesday, April 11th. Then the track will be released on a limited number of stations April 19-20th. The general radio release along with a digital release on iTunes and other formats will occur on Tuesday, April 24th. More information as I learn it.

Well....are they going to let us know before hand what stations so people can get a crappy recording of it? I guess we could listen online as well.

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Apr 3 2012, 12:57 AM)
QUOTE (DistantEarlyRushFan @ Apr 2 2012, 08:53 PM)
QUOTE (eshine @ Apr 2 2012, 05:51 PM)
QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Apr 2 2012, 05:35 PM)
that's just the general feeling i got from sitting in the 8th row and looking around at all the people who looked not very enthusiastic and even yawning during the s & a material.

Right - and everyone hates Roll the Bones, despite the fact that it receives thunderous applause every time they play it.

No one is ever going to argue that the old standards don't get the audience more charged up then new material, but the new material is always well received and the band should be commended for always including fresh material in their set rather then resting on their laurels.

>Implying everyone hates Roll The Bones dazed025.gif

If he'll imply it, I'll just flat out say it: around here, people who admit they like Roll the Bones are generally spat upon by the "purists" who think the band ended in 1981. So yeah... I get his point. If you go by what the loudest wonks have to say about 'em, it must seem like everyone hates Roll the Bones... despite the concert venues going a bit nuts when it gets played.

Thanks Daniel that was my point exactly new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Apr 3 2012, 07:00 AM)
QUOTE (Gompers @ Apr 3 2012, 06:41 AM)
QUOTE (eshine @ Apr 2 2012, 06:23 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Apr 2 2012, 02:04 PM)
That was flat out painful and a very dumb idea

No it was actually a great idea - I remember grinning ear to ear the entire time, knowing how pissed off some fans would be that Rush had the audacity to devote five consecutive songs to new material. It was ballsy and just shows that while they care about their fans, they are more interested in pleasing themselves rather then cater to people who aren't interested in their current work

And from what I recall, the tour did pretty well lol.

I hope they play Clockwork Angels in its entirety.

Absolute agreement here, as well as the post pointing out PT playing all of The Incident. A true Progressive show in playing a concept album start to finish. That would one for the fans and not the casual concert goer.

Well I'm sure the second set will be The Clockwork Angels Suite in its Entirety! Thats for sure. Some of the unrelated songs will probably show up on the first set! iT MIGHT LOOK LIKE THIS:

Set 1:

Limelight

Analog Kid

Kid Gloves

Cut to the Chase

Jacobs Ladder

Headlong Flight

New Song Form CA (Unrelated to Suite)

Where's my Thing?

Show Don't Tell

2nd Song for CA(Unrelated to Suite)

Lock and Key

Middletown Dreams

Freewill

YYZ

Set 2:

Caravan

BU2B

Clockwork Angels (Rest of CA Suite)

Test For Echo

Open Secrets

Vapor Trails

Half the World

Distant Early Warnings

NalNar/ Drum Folo

Alex's Solo/ A Farewell to Kings

Hemispheres (Prelude)

Xanadu (Entire)

Overture/ Temples/ Finale

Encore;

Far Cry

Tom Sawyer

The Spirit of Radio

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

Keep dreaming, bro

QUOTE (presto123 @ Apr 4 2012, 04:32 PM)
oooh from RIAB

We learned last week that Headlong Flight is the title of the first single that will be released from Rush's upcoming Clockwork Angels album. Roadrunner began shopping the single out to various folks in the radio industry last Wednesday setting the Twittersphere abuzz with reactions - all very positive. The track is about 7.5 minutes long and has been described as epic by those who have heard it along with some comparisons to By-tor and the Snow Dog and mid-70s Rush. You can read all the reactions in this post. I'd initially heard that the single will be released to radio on April 19th but now have some more details. Apparently there will be a very limited (probably just a one-off spin) preview release on select stations next Wednesday, April 11th. Then the track will be released on a limited number of stations April 19-20th. The general radio release along with a digital release on iTunes and other formats will occur on Tuesday, April 24th. More information as I learn it.

Well....are they going to let us know before hand what stations so people can get a crappy recording of it? I guess we could listen online as well.

I'll try and find out if the LOOP will be playing it here in Chicago. They play plenty of Rush (albiet the usual four or five standards) but they spin new material as well - and Chicago is a big market for the band...

oooh from RIAB

I don't know why people keep saying "first single" from Clockwork Angels.

And, I gotta say, if only the single is available on Apr 24, that's pretty crappy. They already got my money when Caravan & BU2B were released and would get it again when I buy the full album. But, this dribbling it out crap sucks.

QUOTE (Rush-O-Matic @ Apr 4 2012, 05:43 PM)
oooh from RIAB

I don't know why people keep saying "first single" from Clockwork Angels.

Because it essentially is. The other two songs were recorded forever ago, and the Album called Clockwork Angels is just coming out now. My opinion, I cant count those songs as part of this album because they werent part of the album process at all. They were an appetizer. biggrin.gif

No it was actually a great idea - I remember grinning ear to ear the entire time, knowing how pissed off some fans would be that Rush had the audacity to devote five consecutive songs to new material. It was ballsy and just shows that while they care about their fans, they are more interested in pleasing themselves rather then cater to people who aren't interested in their current work

Absolute agreement here, as well as the post pointing out PT playing all of The Incident. A true Progressive show in playing a concept album start to finish. That would one for the fans and not the casual concert goer.

Well I'm sure the second set will be The Clockwork Angels Suite in its Entirety! Thats for sure. Some of the unrelated songs will probably show up on the first set! iT MIGHT LOOK LIKE THIS:

Set 1:

Limelight

Analog Kid

Kid Gloves

Cut to the Chase

Jacobs Ladder

Headlong Flight

Where's my Thing?

Show Don't Tell

Lock and Key

Middletown Dreams

Freewill

YYZ

Set 2:

Caravan

BU2B

Test For Echo

Open Secrets

Vapor Trails

Half the World

Distant Early Warnings

NalNar/ Drum Folo

Hemispheres (Prelude)

Xanadu (Entire)

Encore;

Far Cry

Tom Sawyer

The Spirit of Radio

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

Why do always use the same shitty encore?

QUOTE (savagegrace26 @ Apr 4 2012, 05:22 PM)

Set 1:

Limelight

Analog Kid

Kid Gloves

Cut to the Chase

Jacobs Ladder

Headlong Flight

Where's my Thing?

Show Don't Tell

Lock and Key

Middletown Dreams

Freewill

YYZ

Set 2:

Caravan

BU2B

Test For Echo

Open Secrets

Vapor Trails

Half the World

Distant Early Warnings

NalNar/ Drum Folo

Hemispheres (Prelude)

Xanadu (Entire)

Encore;

Far Cry

Tom Sawyer

The Spirit of Radio

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

Why do always use the same shitty encore?

Cause I like the flow of it!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

smile.gif

UPDATE - 4/5@1:38PM: Here are some of DJ_Carter's comments regarding the radio-edit of Headlong Flight that he listened to:

... The opening chords sound almost EXACTLY like a heavier version of Bastille Day. ... There's some Bastille Day rhythms, a more raw guitar tone that sounds less polished and more Hemispheres-y, an absolutely bone-shattering drum break in the middle that sounds like a modern version of Neil's break in By-Tor, and some really audible and fun shifts in the structure of the song, a la the transitions in Natural Science. If I had to encapsulate the sound in just a few words, it would be Caress of Steel crossed with Vapor Trails. Headlong Flight doesn't feel as heavy as BU2B; it's very much Vapor Trails-y, but with much more tasty bass. Truly, the bass in this song is killer. I think we can count on seeing a lot more of the Leave That Thing Alone live solo stuff on this record. ... One thing that was really encouraging about this track was the fact that Neil's drumming was very fast in certain places. BU2B was ... heavy but plodding, not challenging or rhythmically complex. Headlong Flight is totally different. This is Neil at his best, and the break I mentioned earlier feels like his classic fills. There is indeed a guitar solo, towards the end of the track. But it's a solo in the sense that Alex's solo from Caravan was a solo. He's shredding, no doubt about it, but it isn't like a Freewill type of shredding that has a pattern and a resolution. Very frenetic and exciting, though! ...

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Apr 5 2012, 01:48 PM)
smile.gif

UPDATE - 4/5@1:38PM: Here are some of DJ_Carter's comments regarding the radio-edit of Headlong Flight that he listened to:

... The opening chords sound almost EXACTLY like a heavier version of Bastille Day. ... There's some Bastille Day rhythms, a more raw guitar tone that sounds less polished and more Hemispheres-y, an absolutely bone-shattering drum break in the middle that sounds like a modern version of Neil's break in By-Tor, and some really audible and fun shifts in the structure of the song, a la the transitions in Natural Science. If I had to encapsulate the sound in just a few words, it would be Caress of Steel crossed with Vapor Trails. Headlong Flight doesn't feel as heavy as BU2B; it's very much Vapor Trails-y, but with much more tasty bass. Truly, the bass in this song is killer. I think we can count on seeing a lot more of the Leave That Thing Alone live solo stuff on this record. ... One thing that was really encouraging about this track was the fact that Neil's drumming was very fast in certain places. BU2B was ... heavy but plodding, not challenging or rhythmically complex. Headlong Flight is totally different. This is Neil at his best, and the break I mentioned earlier feels like his classic fills. There is indeed a guitar solo, towards the end of the track. But it's a solo in the sense that Alex's solo from Caravan was a solo. He's shredding, no doubt about it, but it isn't like a Freewill type of shredding that has a pattern and a resolution. Very frenetic and exciting, though! ...

Sounds Rushsome! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I have no doubts that the music will be killer. Just worried about shoe horned lyrics like in SA.

More from DJ Carter posted in the comments at RIAB:

DJ_Carter here... Few more tidbits/clearing up some things:

-I don't work for a classic rock station, unfortunately, so I won't have the pleasure of playing the track.

-HF's intro sounds like the riff pattern that starts at 0:18 of Bastille Day.

-I couldn't see any By-Tor influence besides the drum break, but as #74 mentioned that is just my opinion.

-Geddy's voice is basically the same as it was towards the end of the Time Machine tour.

-There will indeed be a slower, ballad-like song on the album.

-I can confirm a Boston tour date this fall. I found out the date of the tour announcement as well, but maybe Ed wants to write that post? tongue.gif It deserves its own awesome post.

And Ed's followup:

UPDATE - 4/5@7:59PM: Almost forgot! DJ_Carter also learned that the official tour announcement should be coming the same day as the radio release on April 19th.

No surprise there. We'll probably get a press release with details of the album then, too. That's just my speculation, not Ed's.

Edited by snowdog2112

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Apr 5 2012, 01:48 PM)
There's some Bastille Day rhythms, a more raw guitar tone that sounds less polished and more Hemispheres-y

If I had to encapsulate the sound in just a few words, it would be Caress of Steel crossed with Vapor Trails.

Okay, THIS sounds very intriguing!

After the return of the Oberheim and Moog analog synths, my next greatest wish has been for the return of Alex's AFTK-PeW guitar tone. That is, the old Hiwatt/Les Paul/355 warm, midrangey tone instead of the scooped modern guitar tone. 1022.gif

And if by "Vapor Trails-ey" he means Rush's modern/alternative sound, this could be very interesting, somehow combining their vintage and modern periods. I can't imagine the VT reference can be about the mixing or mastering problems, because we know how good S&A and Caravan/BU2B sounded (sound-wise).

QUOTE (They Bow Defeated @ Apr 5 2012, 05:10 PM)
QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Apr 5 2012, 07:05 PM)
-Geddy's voice is basically the same as it was towards the end of the Time Machine tour.

Haters gonna hate. tongue.gif

yeah what does that mean? tired?

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Apr 5 2012, 07:11 PM)

Possibly straining if he decided to sing high on this new song, which I really hope he didn't do.

He sounded fine to me on Caravan and BU2B because he decided to sing down in his comfortable range, which is pretty low now. He sounds better that way rather than like an injured cat when he tries to hit notes way out of his range.

I think it's totally fine for them to go crazy musically if they want, and him sing low over it. I would really prefer that.

Edited by trenken

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Apr 5 2012, 06:11 PM)

I just asked him, we'll see if he responds.

QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 5 2012, 06:17 PM)

Possibly straining if he decided to sing high on this new song, which I really hope he didn't do.

He sounded fine to me on Caravan and BU2B because he decided to sing down in his comfortable range, which is pretty low now. He sounds better that way rather than like an injured cat when he tries to hit notes way out of his range.

I think it's totally fine for them to go crazy musically if he wants, and him sing low over it. I would really prefer that.

That's exactly what I was telling someone earlier on RIAB. I think he sounds really great particularly on BU2B because he's staying lower, this guy on RIAB was saying he hoped Geddy sang really high on this record and I was saying that's a huge mistake. Even if he can manage it in the studio the live setting will kill him and make it less enjoyable for us. Geddy can still sing well as long as he is reasonable about what he does.

Edited by snowdog2112

Here you go:

snowdog -- Here's the thing: I love Geddy's voice however he sounds, but it's clear that he's struggling a bit. It gets hard for him to enunciate properly when he's reaching for the high notes, and so sometimes the lyrics were a little blurred. To be honest it was hard to hear his vocals on HF because of they way the track was recorded. Felt a little bit like the problem they had with Vapor Trails.

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Apr 5 2012, 07:20 PM)

I think it's totally fine for them to go crazy musically if he wants, and him sing low over it. I would really prefer that.

That's exactly what I was telling someone earlier on RIAB. I think he sounds really great particularly on BU2B because he's staying lower, this guy on RIAB was saying he hoped Geddy sang really high on this record and I was saying that's a huge mistake. Even if he can manage it in the studio the live setting will kill him and make it less enjoyable for us. Geddy can still sing well as long as he is reasonable about what he does.

Yeah you were right that he does sound good on BU2B. I was basically thinking he would continue on with that since it did sound good, and then go nuts musically if they want, but keep the vocals lower. I think that would result in a very strong Rush album, no major flaws.

Even singing high in the studio I have a feeling would be a disaster, and from that guy from RIAB it sounds like that's the case. Then take that on the road for 60 dates, yeah good luck with that. No shame in singing low Ged. Do what your voice will allow to do, dont force it anymore.

QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 5 2012, 06:29 PM)
QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Apr 5 2012, 07:20 PM)

Yeah you were right that he does sound good on BU2B. I was basically thinking he would continue on with that since it did sound good, and then go nuts musically if they want, but keep the vocals lower. I think that would result in a very strong Rush album, no major flaws.

Even singing high in the studio I have a feeling would be a disaster, and from that guy from RIAB it sounds like that's the case. Then take that on the road for 60 dates, yeah good luck with that. No shame in singing low Ged. Do what your voice will allow to do, dont force it anymore.

Exactly.

If he is in fact trying to sing too high on this new song, I just dont get why. I got it when he was younger. He could do it, and he was trying to impress people with his range, which worked.

What's the point of singing high now? Who is he trying to impress? Especially since if he's straining noone is going to be very impressed by that. I was impressed with how good he sounded singing lower.

It doesn't make any sense to me if what that guy said is right, that he's straining to the point where you cant even understand him. I mean isnt that the job of a producer? Say, "Hey Ged, I'm sorry but you just sound really bad doing this, take down a few notches." Producers are there for a reason so that things like this dont happen and they do what's best for the song.

Of course we're just going on what one guy said so who knows if its even that bad. We sure dont have much else to talk about right now until it comes out. lol

Edited by trenken

More from DJ...

...it wasn't that bad. I could definitely hear individual bass notes, which as we all know was not the case on VT... Just imagine the very thick production job done on BU2B - more of the same thing. Personally I don't understand why they don't experiment with more of the crisp sounds they used in the 70s, where you could actually follow Geddy's bass lines easily. Wall'o'sound gets old after a while.