Headlong Flight

iluvgeddy05

QUOTE (MMCXII @ Apr 2 2012, 07:02 AM)
QUOTE (presto123 @ Mar 31 2012, 12:49 PM)
QUOTE (MMCXII @ Mar 31 2012, 01:45 PM)
QUOTE (presto123 @ Mar 31 2012, 12:36 PM)
QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Mar 31 2012, 10:09 AM)
QUOTE (presto123 @ Mar 31 2012, 01:20 AM)
QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Mar 31 2012, 02:12 AM)
Well, being obsessed with this beyond a healthy level I went and scoured more of these Twitter feeds and found a couple more quotes from Grover Collins, the guy who said it sounded like 1974-1977.

As I already said earlier, I consider these worthless in terms of substance but it is exciting reading about it....

Here they are:

"has an anthem feel but also bu2b feel. Old yet new"

and:

"zero keys. Drums, bass, and Alex sounding like the working man solo on time machine tour."

https://twitter.com/#!/GroverCollins

He also said:

"I'm in radio. Its the new single. Will be out this week to radio."

OMG! Thanks for updating. Alex absolutely destroyed that solo on Working Man TM tour. I was hoping some of that live playing translated into the studio. Here's hoping Nick talked Alex into soloing on almost every song 1022.gif

The zero keys comments has me wondering if that report of it sounding like an 80's record is accurate. We know of three songs now that don't sound like 80's assuming this one doesn't. I think BU2B has a certain GUP vibe in some spots but I wouldn't say it sounds like an 80's Rush song.

It's 2 completely different things. The only person we've heard from who was at the listening party for the whole album is the one that said "80-91 in a blender" and "keyboards are present" and "80s album with a harder edge". This was conveyed to us through Sniglets on the CP forum.

All the other comments are from radio guys who were not at the listening party, they had someone from Roadrunner come to them and only play the single for them. All of the "sounds like bytor", "sounds like 74-77", "massive Alex Lifeson solo" and the comments I just posted above only refer to Headlong Flight specifically, not the album as a whole. So "zero keys" does not conflict with "keyboards are present" at all. They are evidently on the album but just not on the single based on what they're saying.

Like I said again the two songs we have heard and supposedly this coming single DO NOT sound like 80-91 in a blender so even if the rest does somewhat I'm not sure I would describe the record that way. Plus.....do we really trust some guy from Counterparts board that "supposedly" had an inside friend at the listening party? I'm not counting on too many prominent keys until I hear a real "official" review. IMO there has to be some pretty prominent keys on certain songs for it to sound like 80-91 in a blender.

I'll tell you thing that WILL happen when it comes out.. People on TRF will COMPLAIN that it doesn't sound like 1980-91 in a blender! Why do people get so hung up on these quotes??

"it sounds like 1980-91 in a blender" can be translated to "it sounds like old Rush"!

the quote came from a guy who just heard a brand new song, probably once and for the first time.

No.....the 80-91 blender qoute came from a journalist that supposedly heard the Whole record. He is the same one that supposedly said the record features keyboards.

That what I said... You're saying the journalist isn't a guy?? I don't get it???

My point was he/she just heard it for the first time ..

But he wasn't the guy that soiled his pants!

eh.gif

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (lifeson90 @ Apr 2 2012, 05:35 AM)
a band sounding tired of making music on VT?

how can u say that dude i honestly dont get how anyone can say that

how can u listen to earthshine, secret touch, ghost rider and nocturne etc and think that band sounded tired?

i honestly do not get it, i do not get how even one person can say that.

wacko.gif

Yeah that is mind boggling. I can understand some fans not enjoying the album or thinking it was a sub par effort. Believe me in the grand scheme of all of their work it is not very high on my personal list.

However what I can not deny is the sheer passion and urgency of the record. Not only that but if you read Ghost Rider Neil's personal anguish, pain and then healing ooze through the record through his words and the bands hard attack. It is a shame the dynamics are shot to shit and the mix and master were really piss poor. Otherwise this record would have fared better. There are some insane moments and some classic Rush songs on this album. There is also a lot of stuff going on (too much at times as well) and the band was creating this on and off for what 15 months? It was a huge ??? if they would even reunite and play again. This album is a capsule of turmoil and healing in the bands history. If you have that approach when listening to VT is has some intensity and personality.

But a band not inspired or burnt out? far from it. They were reborn on VT. Maybe the music was not what some wanted or liked but without VT we have nothing today to look forward to. It was over till VT.

Anyway I don't want to redirect this thread.

So when is this new Rush song coming out anyway? cool.gif

Edited by Todem

QUOTE (Todem @ Apr 2 2012, 07:37 AM)
QUOTE (lifeson90 @ Apr 2 2012, 05:35 AM)

how can u listen to earthshine, secret touch, ghost rider and nocturne etc and think that band sounded tired?

wacko.gif

Yeah that is mind boggling. I can understand some fans not enjoying the album or thinking it was a sub par effort. Believe me in the grand scheme of all of their work it is not very high on my personal list.

However what I can not deny is the sheer passion and urgency of the record. Not only that but if you read Ghost Rider Neil's personal anguish, pain and then healing ooze through the record through his words and the bands hard attack. It is a shame the dynamics are shot to shit and the mix and master were really piss poor. Otherwise this record would have fared better. There are some insane moments and some classic Rush songs on this album. There is also a lot of stuff going on (too much at times as well) and the band was creating this on and off for what 15 months? It was a huge ??? if they would even reunite and play again. This album is a capsule of turmoil and healing in the bands history. If you have that approach when listening to VT is has some intensity and personality.

But a band not inspired or burnt out? far from it. They were reborn on VT. Maybe the music was not what some wanted or liked but without VT we have nothing today to look forward to. It was over till VT.

Anyway I don't want to redirect this thread.

So when is this new Rush song coming out anyway? cool.gif

We get the whole enchillada on May 29th.....we think?

confused13.gif

QUOTE (lifeson90 @ Apr 2 2012, 06:35 AM)

wacko.gif

Tired would not be my take on VT. It sounds crappy mix wise, over-layered, and the music seems a bit uninspired and even forced, like they are trying to make a comeback. Of course this is just my take. Caravan and BU2B may be good indications that CA will have some Rush power, yet retain good natural song writing not to mention a great mix that Nick brought with S&A.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Apr 2 2012, 07:51 AM)

wacko.gif

Tired would not be my take on VT. It sounds crappy mix wise, over-layered, and the music seems a bit uninspired and even forced, like they are trying to make a comeback. Of course this is just my take. Caravan and BU2B may be good indications that CA will have some Rush power, yet retain good natural song writing not to mention a great mix that Nick brought with S&A.

I agree wit you analogy of VT 95%, I don't know about the uninspired statement!

eh.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Apr 2 2012, 08:58 AM)

wacko.gif

eh.gif

This tangents the topic:

I never give up on a Rush release and usually get into it or at least part of it. Well, only two songs I enjoy on it, OLV and How It Is. VT has been a struggle for sometime now. I tell myself to let it sink in, maybe this time it will hit home. Still nothing. I do feel it is an attempt for Rush to capitalize on Neil's personal situation. I don't blame them because it is a common means in the music world, to write about intense personal experiences. For me, with Rush, it doesn't work this time.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Apr 2 2012, 07:14 AM)
I do feel it is an attempt for Rush to capitalize on Neil's personal situation. I don't blame them because it is a common means in the music world, to write about intense personal experiences. For me, with Rush, it doesn't work this time.

Capitalize on his tragedies by writing about them? Every song he's ever written comes from his personal experiences or perspective, but to say that he was trying to capitalize on the deaths of his family is rather crass.

Edited by danielmclark

Yeah, Neil loses his wife and daughter and I'm sure the first thing they all thought was "How can we milk this for all the cash we can get?" We're lucky to even have that album and anything afterwards. If you're too shallow-minded and ungrateful too appreciate it then I guess it's your own damn loss. Just don't stake bogus claims cos the album didn't make YOU happy.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Apr 2 2012, 08:14 AM)

wacko.gif

eh.gif

This tangents the topic:

I never give up on a Rush release and usually get into it or at least part of it. Well, only two songs I enjoy on it, OLV and How It Is. VT has been a struggle for sometime now. I tell myself to let it sink in, maybe this time it will hit home. Still nothing. I do feel it is an attempt for Rush to capitalize on Neil's personal situation. I don't blame them because it is a common means in the music world, to write about intense personal experiences. For me, with Rush, it doesn't work this time.

Dude that just flat out wrong and pretty insulting!

dazed025.gif

Edited by losingit2k

QUOTE (Tigershark2112 @ Apr 2 2012, 09:30 AM)
Yeah, Neil loses his wife and daughter and I'm sure the first thing they all thought was "How can we milk this for all the cash we can get?" We're lucky to even have that album and anything afterwards. If you're too shallow-minded and ungrateful too appreciate it then I guess it's your own damn loss. Just don't stake bogus claims cos the album didn't make YOU happy.

I knew that would go over like a lead balloon. We see it over and over again in the entertainment world. It makes for great material. Neil didn't intend for this stuff to happen. He didn't intend to write about this stuff. It happened. Record companies love this stuff. The public loves this stuff. Artists don't.

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Apr 2 2012, 09:45 AM)
QUOTE (Gompers @ Apr 2 2012, 08:14 AM)

wacko.gif

eh.gif

This tangents the topic:

Dude that just flat out wrong and pretty insulting!

dazed025.gif

Right. Not Rush as Geddy, Alex, and Neil. I see it more as Rush, those behind the desks. Of course the band could have said no to all of this. They could write about anything and have always had a deep well of creativity to draw from. They would never sell out to the public. They never have, have they.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Apr 2 2012, 06:24 AM)
QUOTE (ak2112 @ Apr 1 2012, 11:29 PM)
QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Mar 30 2012, 10:53 PM)
QUOTE (losingit2k @ Mar 30 2012, 09:32 PM)
QUOTE (presto123 @ Mar 30 2012, 10:28 PM)
QUOTE (ak2112 @ Mar 30 2012, 09:46 PM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ Mar 28 2012, 02:48 PM)
And over 7 minutes, too. Awesome.

Just because its over 7 minutes long doesnt mean its going to be a great or even good song. Remember, most of the songs on Vapor Trails were over 5 minutes....and almost every song on that album sucked ass. Lets hope the mew album is as melodic and awesome as Snakes and Arrows. Thats what I'm hoping for at least.

Speak for yourself. I like VT better than SnA.

VT had at least 6 good tracks on it:

One Little Victory

Earthshine

Secret Touch

Vapor Trails

Ghost Rider

Sweet Miracle

angry.gif

Yeah, I personally love S&A much more than Vapor Trails but VT still has a lot on it I like. I also know that there are many Rush fans that think it's one of their best albums, so what's wrong with that? Nothing. All their albums and all their songs have at least some fans who genuinely like them and that doesn't make them "sheep" or "band worshippers" or all these other degrading names I see. I don't mind anybody's opinion about what they like or don't like but I always try to avoid demeaning "It's a piece of shit!" or "It totally sucks ass!" kind of comments because people take their favorite music seriously and get attached to it. I wish people understood that when you are insulting to music that someone else loves and they get defensive it's not because you are insulting the band, you're insulting them.

I used this analogy on the VH board but I think it's a good one and hopefully it will make people think. Saying to someone who loves Vapor Trails something like "It's just a piece of shit and Rush should be embarrased they even released it" and thinking that you're only insulting the band or the album is like going into someone's house and saying "Oh my god, I can't believe this crappy furniture, why would anybody want this?" and thinking you're only putting down the furniture manufacturer. What people surround themselves with is an extension of who they are. That should be obvious. But I guess some people think if your friend picks you up in their car and you say "Wow, what a piece of crap, I hate these cars." that your friend shouldn't take it personally because you were only criticizing the automaker.

No reasonable person will tell you not to say you don't like something if you don't like it but you should at least learn to be able to be tactful about it.

It was a 6 year break between T4E and VT...6 years! To me, the songs on VT sound like a band tired of making music rather than a band excited to be together making music after a long break. There is no focus to any of the songs and they desperately needed someone to explain to them the concept of EDITING! Every song on their is way too long and unfocused. Plus, they all sound the same and there's almost no sense of melodicism to the songs either. Compare the songs on VT to those on S&A and there is no comparison. S&A is dripping with melody and tight song arrangements; something that VT is lacking. Now, there are some great MOMENTS on VT, but no great songs. It just sounds to me like a collage of half finished ideas. And add to that, one of the worst dynamics and over the top compression and you have one nasty sonic mess. I thought S&A was light years better than VT and their best album since Counterparts. Believe me, I have tried to like VT and every year or so I revisit it to give it another chance. It never sounds good to me.

everybpdy hears things differently i guess because i can't stomach 99% of s & a. sounds like a nick r. the producer album more than a rush album to me. i don't even own the cd anymore. i was more than happy to get a couple of bucks for it and few others at a used cd place.

See, I have no problem with the fact that others don't like S&A even though I love it but the idea that it sounds the way it does because of Nick just seems about as off-base as can be. Someone I know personally had a similar complaint, he told me the only 2 songs he liked were Far Cry and MalNar and blamed his overall disappointment on Nick, too because he said everything else sounded like "new rock". The irony there is that those were the only 2 songs that were developed from scratch after they hired Nick. More than on any other album they spent far more time writing before they even approached a producer or chose a studio for recording and came close like on VT to not even having a producer. The album was basically already done when they went in the studio, that's why they were only there for a few weeks. Producers can certainly influence the final songs but they don't write them. I'm still surprised that more people don't like S&A anyway. I've been a hardcore fan for roughly 30 years and it's probably close to the top 5 albums for me. It's easily my favorite album going back to at least Power Windows and maybe GUP. The Main Monkey Business, The Way the Wind Blows, Hope, and Faithless is just about my favorite 4 song run in their whole catalog, Far Cry, MalNar, and We Hold On are about as Rush-like as you can get and Armor and Sword is close to being as big and powerful as anything they've ever done.

But like I said, that's beside the point. I'm perfectly ok with people not liking it, I still get frustrated with VT and many people are passionate about it. My main point was really that love it or hate it I just don't think Nick had all that much to with with it overall. He only came in at the very tail end.

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Apr 2 2012, 09:43 AM)
The Main Monkey Business, The Way the Wind Blows, Hope, and Faithless is just about my favorite 4 song run in their whole catalog

Better than the four on Hemispheres or four from MP? wink.gif

Edited by Alexmai

QUOTE (Alexmai @ Apr 2 2012, 08:54 AM)
QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Apr 2 2012, 09:43 AM)
The Main Monkey Business, The Way the Wind Blows, Hope, and Faithless is just about my favorite 4 song run in their whole catalog

Better than the four on Hemispheres or four from MP? wink.gif

Well, Moving Pictures is fantastic of course but I know I can still easily name 5 albums I like more than it without even bringing S&A into the picture. It always amazes me that so many fans complain about other Rush songs or albums being too "slow" when at the same time they hold up MP as some sort of paragon of Rush perfection. Most of it is incredibly slow. And Hemispheres is my favorite album so yeah I can't put anything above that. But four songs there is the whole freaking album so it's really a different scale.

As I said though, that's all beside the point, I'm not trying to convince anyone to like what they don't like. I just think the blame (or credit) for that album is unjustly placed on Nick when he simply wasn't even around for the majority of the process. If you hate the album that's totally cool, but it sounds the way it does because of the band, not Nick.

Edited by snowdog2112

QUOTE (Gompers @ Apr 2 2012, 08:22 AM)

I knew that would go over like a lead balloon. We see it over and over again in the entertainment world. It makes for great material. Neil didn't intend for this stuff to happen. He didn't intend to write about this stuff. It happened. Record companies love this stuff. The public loves this stuff. Artists don't.

See, now I think you're just screwing with us. Artists don't like writing about this stuff? Have you actually met any artists? There are artists who find that pouring all of their emotions and experiences into their art is cathartic. It's a calling. They do it because they have to - and not because someone behind a desk tells them they have to, but because they have an innate need to do it.

So, Neil didn't want to write what he did, but he did it because someone told him to? Right. Because he's got such a long history of doing what others tell him to with his lyrics.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Apr 2 2012, 10:24 AM)

See, now I think you're just screwing with us. Artists don't like writing about this stuff? Have you actually met any artists? There are artists who find that pouring all of their emotions and experiences into their art is cathartic. It's a calling. They do it because they have to - and not because someone behind a desk tells them they have to, but because they have an innate need to do it.

So, Neil didn't want to write what he did, but he did it because someone told him to? Right. Because he's got such a long history of doing what others tell him to with his lyrics.

Maybe Someone just suggested to him to write about, not actually toild him too!

confused13.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Apr 2 2012, 09:32 AM)

confused13.gif

That's pretty unlikely, IMO. Neil isn't some young musician that can be pushed in one direction or another, and I suspect that at this point in his life, he (and the band as a whole) hasn't exactly surrounded himself with people who would be so heartless as to walk up to him and be like, "you know what you should do? Capitalize on the deaths of your wife and daughter. Just write about it and put it on the album because people eat that shit up."

Even if someone had gently suggested that he write about his feelings because it would help him cope... the guy was in his, what, late 40's at the time? He'd been writing for the better part of 3 decades? I just don't see someone suggesting - well intentioned or not - to someone like Neil that he should write lyrics that revolved around his tragedy.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Apr 2 2012, 12:24 PM)

confused13.gif

That's pretty unlikely, IMO. Neil isn't some young musician that can be pushed in one direction or another, and I suspect that at this point in his life, he (and the band as a whole) hasn't exactly surrounded himself with people who would be so heartless as to walk up to him and be like, "you know what you should do? Capitalize on the deaths of your wife and daughter. Just write about it and put it on the album because people eat that shit up."

Even if someone had gently suggested that he write about his feelings because it would help him cope... the guy was in his, what, late 40's at the time? He'd been writing for the better part of 3 decades? I just don't see someone suggesting - well intentioned or not - to someone like Neil that he should write lyrics that revolved around his tragedy.

I think its amazing that the most reclusive member in public, the guy is so uncomfortable meeting folks and talking to folks, so reviled for being rude and hermit like shares *so much* of his life publicly through his writing. Reading some of his stuff, its obvious to me that he enjoys writing, and found his life to be a subject of rich stories, information, etc., and went in that direction.

confused13.gif

Frankly, I don't know the mental state of the band at the time, nor do I know if they were being subtly persuaded by Execs as it could help album sales. One is is for sure, they would never let on if they were for obvious reasons. I do find the repackaging of greatest hits to be something I never thought I'd see Rush do. Or a CD full of covers. New remixes come out that really haven't sounded that much different than the originals. Now a live release with every Studio release. Sure. It could all be coincidence. And like my sig says, my perspective drives how I will see things. So if I change it, my discussion could readily switch sides.

I can wait to hear the tunes, been waiting this long. But if reports are right, it should be great. Looking forward to some ,back to their roots, type music. One thing for sure, I will check it out!

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Apr 2 2012, 12:38 PM)

confused13.gif

I think its amazing that the most reclusive member in public, the guy is so uncomfortable meeting folks and talking to folks, so reviled for being rude and hermit like shares *so much* of his life publicly through his writing. Reading some of his stuff, its obvious to me that he enjoys writing, and found his life to be a subject of rich stories, information, etc., and went in that direction.

Speaking for myself, I wouldn't want to relive my past tragedies in re-sharing it. Maybe it is therapeutic, I don't know.

It can be very therapeutic. Cathartic. Pick your word. It's not for everyone, but I assume it's commonplace to pour your heart, mind and soul into lyrics.. poems, etc. Speaking for me, that's what I did.

QUOTE (presto123 @ Mar 30 2012, 10:28 PM)
QUOTE (ak2112 @ Mar 30 2012, 09:46 PM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ Mar 28 2012, 02:48 PM)
And over 7 minutes, too. Awesome.

Just because its over 7 minutes long doesnt mean its going to be a great or even good song. Remember, most of the songs on Vapor Trails were over 5 minutes....and almost every song on that album sucked ass. Lets hope the mew album is as melodic and awesome as Snakes and Arrows. Thats what I'm hoping for at least.

Speak for yourself. I like VT better than SnA.

I like getting the Flu more than i like S&A

S&A rules!!!!! It's better than anything non-Rush to ever come out of the metal world.

laugh.gif