Headlong Flight

iluvgeddy05

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Mar 30 2012, 10:33 PM)
QUOTE (losingit2k @ Mar 30 2012, 08:53 PM)
QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Mar 30 2012, 09:49 PM)
QUOTE (losingit2k @ Mar 30 2012, 08:41 PM)
QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Mar 30 2012, 09:37 PM)
QUOTE (losingit2k @ Mar 30 2012, 08:20 PM)
QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Mar 30 2012, 09:12 PM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Mar 30 2012, 08:01 PM)
QUOTE (losingit2k @ Mar 30 2012, 08:58 PM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Mar 30 2012, 08:56 PM)
QUOTE (losingit2k @ Mar 30 2012, 08:48 PM)
Headlong Flight, is going to be a Headlong Epic and 20 days is going to be a Headlong time to wait!

I want it now!

drool1.gif

Someone doesnt know about torrent yet!

Oh I know about torrent, Has it Leaked?

Not yet, but it sure as hell will before the official date.

Possibly, I'd say the odds are no better than 50%. Trust me, being that I'm a big VH fan we just went through this same extreme anticipation of hearing something from the new album on the VH equivalent of this forum. There was at least the same level of confidence that the first single from the first VH album with David Lee Roth in nearly 30 years would leak way before the announced release date because there's no way it could be kept secret and it never did. The stories that came out afterwards that described the security around people with access to it was like something out of a James Bond movie.

Now, having said all that, I don't think we really know what the rules are regarding the new Rush song. I mean we don't actually have any official announcement about the single's release date nor do we know if the rumored April 19th date only applies to normal radio stations and such. It's possible that we'll all hear it online sooner at Rush.com or in some other way. But leaking unofficially through a torrent or something? The odds aren't very high I don't think.

Mara's right, Caravan and BU2B didn't leak before their June 1, release date.

30 Years between VH (Dave) songs? Has Every forgetten two little songs called:

"Me Wise Magic" and "You can't get this stuff anymore"?

confused13.gif

Why has VH ignored these two great songs?

confused13.gif

Not at all and I love those songs, in fact, Me Wise Magic is one of my favorite VH songs period. That's why I carefully worded what I wrote to make it accurate:

...first single from the first VH album with David Lee Roth in nearly 30 years...

I know those songs are great IMO. I wonder why they've ignor them live! Maybe Dave has a hard time reproducing them live? To tell you the truth I really expected to hear them when they reunited in 2007. But Nope!

confused13.gif

I can only guess that even though most VH fans love those songs they came during that weird "almost reunion" disaster with DLR in 1996 and maybe they just don't want to relive that. I don't know, it's just a guess. However, they've been going nuts on this tour pulling out rarities every few shows like Hear About It Later, Girl Gone Bad, Hang 'em High, The Full Bug, etc. They may still do one of them live before the tour is over.

Well their South Florida show is coming up on April 10th, They've had a long break since the last show to give Dave's voice a break. I hope they drag out either one and if they don't I hope they play "Girl Gone Bad"! My Favorite VH song!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

Possibly. Girl Gone Bad is a great song to me, too. During parts of the Diver Down tour they played a bit of it as an instrumental in the middle of Somebody Get Me a Doctor, you can see one example of that on the 1983 US Festival show. I love that. Of course, you probably already know that. smile.gif

And I hate to just quote myself but we were going so fast in our posts that by the time I went back and edited one of mine we were already on the next page so I don't know if you saw it. I'll just copy it again here:

By the way, I responded to your question about the listening party over on RIAB. It looks like you're going back and forth just as much as I am looking for any scraps of info we can get! I want to hear the new stuff as much as anyone but you really have to appreciate the excitement leading up to all this. Even if CA is not the last Rush album it certainly could be and for the last several Rush albums I've really learned to enjoy the lead up as something special on its own. I've personally gone through this for roughly 30 years and I'm not looking forward to never experiencing it again. The anticipation is part of the fun, or should be at least.

I completely agree. I don't know what I'd be doing if it weren't for the internet. When I was younger it was OK cuase they basically toured every year or so. But now you just don't know even though, its been pretty exciting since R30 to be a RUSH fan!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Mar 30 2012, 09:32 PM)
QUOTE (presto123 @ Mar 30 2012, 10:28 PM)
QUOTE (ak2112 @ Mar 30 2012, 09:46 PM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ Mar 28 2012, 02:48 PM)
And over 7 minutes, too. Awesome.

Just because its over 7 minutes long doesnt mean its going to be a great or even good song. Remember, most of the songs on Vapor Trails were over 5 minutes....and almost every song on that album sucked ass. Lets hope the mew album is as melodic and awesome as Snakes and Arrows. Thats what I'm hoping for at least.

Speak for yourself. I like VT better than SnA.

VT had at least 6 good tracks on it:

One Little Victory

Earthshine

Secret Touch

Vapor Trails

Ghost Rider

Sweet Miracle

angry.gif

Yeah, I personally love S&A much more than Vapor Trails but VT still has a lot on it I like. I also know that there are many Rush fans that think it's one of their best albums, so what's wrong with that? Nothing. All their albums and all their songs have at least some fans who genuinely like them and that doesn't make them "sheep" or "band worshippers" or all these other degrading names I see. I don't mind anybody's opinion about what they like or don't like but I always try to avoid demeaning "It's a piece of shit!" or "It totally sucks ass!" kind of comments because people take their favorite music seriously and get attached to it. I wish people understood that when you are insulting to music that someone else loves and they get defensive it's not because you are insulting the band, you're insulting them.

I used this analogy on the VH board but I think it's a good one and hopefully it will make people think. Saying to someone who loves Vapor Trails something like "It's just a piece of shit and Rush should be embarrased they even released it" and thinking that you're only insulting the band or the album is like going into someone's house and saying "Oh my god, I can't believe this crappy furniture, why would anybody want this?" and thinking you're only putting down the furniture manufacturer. What people surround themselves with is an extension of who they are. That should be obvious. But I guess some people think if your friend picks you up in their car and you say "Wow, what a piece of crap, I hate these cars." that your friend shouldn't take it personally because you were only criticizing the automaker.

No reasonable person will tell you not to say you don't like something if you don't like it but you should at least learn to be able to be tactful about it.

QUOTE (FountainOfSyrinx @ Mar 30 2012, 09:35 PM)
Quite frankly.. i'm tired of "comparisons" to the other albums. I mean, let's be honest. In the past 30 years, what album have you been able to compare with another album..? The great part about Rush is that they change it up through each album..

It's prolly not going to sound anything like P/G, Signals, PoW, HYF, Presto, RTB, CP, T4E, VT, or SnA..

It's going to be it's own type of "Rush" that "Half the World hates, and Half the world loves".. (hehe.) Don't sweat about how bad or good its going to be. It's going to be listenable, and most of the forum is going to argue about how good or bad it is.. for me, I'll love it. I know I will. But i know people are going to hate it.. It's as simple as that.

That's what I was saying earlier about using Caravan just as a test subject. What previous song does it sound like? Nothing really. Or maybe lots of things. It just depends on your tastes and what stands out to you. But I have a feeling that if Headlong Flight sounds like anything at all it won't be from the 80s or 70s, it'll be most like Caravan. Basically heavy with some riffy stop-start stuff, an instrumental section and atmospheric keyboards.

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Mar 30 2012, 10:56 PM)
QUOTE (FountainOfSyrinx @ Mar 30 2012, 09:35 PM)
Quite frankly.. i'm tired of "comparisons" to the other albums. I mean, let's be honest. In the past 30 years, what album have you been able to compare with another album..? The great part about Rush is that they change it up through each album..

It's prolly not going to sound anything like P/G, Signals, PoW, HYF, Presto, RTB, CP, T4E, VT, or SnA..

It's going to be it's own type of "Rush" that "Half the World hates, and Half the world loves".. (hehe.) Don't sweat about how bad or good its going to be. It's going to be listenable, and most of the forum is going to argue about how good or bad it is.. for me, I'll love it. I know I will. But i know people are going to hate it.. It's as simple as that.

That's what I was saying earlier about using Caravan just as a test subject. What previous song does it sound like? Nothing really. Or maybe lots of things. It just depends on your tastes and what stands out to you. But I have a feeling that if Headlong Flight sounds like anything at all it won't be from the 80s or 70s, it'll be most like Caravan. Basically heavy with some riffy stop-start stuff, an instrumental section and atmospheric keyboards.

This.

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Mar 30 2012, 10:53 PM)
QUOTE (losingit2k @ Mar 30 2012, 09:32 PM)
QUOTE (presto123 @ Mar 30 2012, 10:28 PM)
QUOTE (ak2112 @ Mar 30 2012, 09:46 PM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ Mar 28 2012, 02:48 PM)
And over 7 minutes, too. Awesome.

Just because its over 7 minutes long doesnt mean its going to be a great or even good song. Remember, most of the songs on Vapor Trails were over 5 minutes....and almost every song on that album sucked ass. Lets hope the mew album is as melodic and awesome as Snakes and Arrows. Thats what I'm hoping for at least.

Speak for yourself. I like VT better than SnA.

VT had at least 6 good tracks on it:

One Little Victory

Earthshine

Secret Touch

Vapor Trails

Ghost Rider

Sweet Miracle

angry.gif

Yeah, I personally love S&A much more than Vapor Trails but VT still has a lot on it I like. I also know that there are many Rush fans that think it's one of their best albums, so what's wrong with that? Nothing. All their albums and all their songs have at least some fans who genuinely like them and that doesn't make them "sheep" or "band worshippers" or all these other degrading names I see. I don't mind anybody's opinion about what they like or don't like but I always try to avoid demeaning "It's a piece of shit!" or "It totally sucks ass!" kind of comments because people take their favorite music seriously and get attached to it. I wish people understood that when you are insulting to music that someone else loves and they get defensive it's not because you are insulting the band, you're insulting them.

I used this analogy on the VH board but I think it's a good one and hopefully it will make people think. Saying to someone who loves Vapor Trails something like "It's just a piece of shit and Rush should be embarrased they even released it" and thinking that you're only insulting the band or the album is like going into someone's house and saying "Oh my god, I can't believe this crappy furniture, why would anybody want this?" and thinking you're only putting down the furniture manufacturer. What people surround themselves with is an extension of who they are. That should be obvious. But I guess some people think if your friend picks you up in their car and you say "Wow, what a piece of crap, I hate these cars." that your friend shouldn't take it personally because you were only criticizing the automaker.

No reasonable person will tell you not to say you don't like something if you don't like it but you should at least learn to be able to be tactful about it.

Beautiful sentiment man! Very well expressed.

But, on subject,...

Ah, sweet antici...

Pation!

About this listening party......................did they preview all the songs or just Headlong Flight? While the feedback about that song seems positive, what about the rest of the album? Not a lot being said what it's like as a whole

QUOTE (Sin City @ Mar 31 2012, 12:02 AM)
About this listening party......................did they preview all the songs or just Headlong Flight? While the feedback about that song seems positive, what about the rest of the album? Not a lot being said what it's like as a whole

It is confusing but someone asked this same question over on RIAB so if you don't mind I'll just copy my answer from there:

It's a little confusing #43 but it was really 2 separate things. Most of the comments we heard from radio people came only from hearing Headlong Flight when it was brought to them. Another group was invited to the luncheon to hear the whole album. The only person we've heard from at the luncheon was only through indirect comments from Sniglets.

This:

Sorry I have been unable to post on here as I have been busy with work. Listening party happened a bit later than scheduled yesterday as it was more after 1 pm. I wasn't there but my friend was and he said if you would have wanted Rush albums in the 80s to have a harder edge then this is your record. The songs are like a winding journey and definitely has a more modern day concept feel to them. Keyboards are present on the record so if you loathe them, sorry! He didn't compare it to any particular album and that was a relief. He said just take 80 to 91 in a blender and that was it. Single should be out on or about April 1st. It is being sent to radio this weekend. My guess is this one doesn't leak. More as I hear more. It was basically a text conversation about it and I haven't had really the time to get in touch with him as he has other assignments.

...is the only comment as far as I can find concerning the album listening party. All the other tweets and facebook posts and stuff came from people who only heard the single, not the album.

QUOTE (Sin City @ Mar 31 2012, 01:02 AM)

They were not allowed to talk until this afternoon but like you I thought we would have at least some general comments about the record by now.

Well, being obsessed with this beyond a healthy level I went and scoured more of these Twitter feeds and found a couple more quotes from Grover Collins, the guy who said it sounded like 1974-1977.

As I already said earlier, I consider these worthless in terms of substance but it is exciting reading about it....

Here they are:

"has an anthem feel but also bu2b feel. Old yet new"

and:

"zero keys. Drums, bass, and Alex sounding like the working man solo on time machine tour."

https://twitter.com/#!/GroverCollins

He also said:

"I'm in radio. Its the new single. Will be out this week to radio."

Edited by snowdog2112

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Mar 31 2012, 02:12 AM)
Well, being obsessed with this beyond a healthy level I went and scoured more of these Twitter feeds and found a couple more quotes from Grover Collins, the guy who said it sounded like 1974-1977.

As I already said earlier, I consider these worthless in terms of substance but it is exciting reading about it....

Here they are:

and:

"zero keys. Drums, bass, and Alex sounding like the working man solo on time machine tour."

He also said:

OMG! Thanks for updating. Alex absolutely destroyed that solo on Working Man TM tour. I was hoping some of that live playing translated into the studio. Here's hoping Nick talked Alex into soloing on almost every song 1022.gif

The zero keys comments has me wondering if that report of it sounding like an 80's record is accurate. We know of three songs now that don't sound like 80's assuming this one doesn't. I think BU2B has a certain GUP vibe in some spots but I wouldn't say it sounds like an 80's Rush song.

Edited by presto123

This is ridiculous,the comments are anal not giving any real description of what the song is like. "I wet my pants." doesn't really tell us much.They should have let some Rush fans listen to it or some people who can actually communicate about the song musically.

QUOTE (tas7 @ Mar 31 2012, 04:27 AM)
This is ridiculous,the comments are anal not giving any real description of what the song is like. "I wet my pants." doesn't really tell us much.They should have let some Rush fans listen to it or some people who can actually communicate about the song musically.

this^^^

although i suppose it tells us there's some smelly people out there you wouldnt wanna sit next to on a bus

Edited by lifeson90

I guess we wont know before actually hearing it. wink.gif

But keep them comments coming. This forum is going to explode when they release the single, and later the album, and later the S&A MVI, and later the tour announcement, and later the tour, and later the tour DVD, and later a new album, or an R40 tour, etc. These prerelease periods is as exciting as you can have it. I hope we will have a few more years of that.

QUOTE (presto123 @ Mar 31 2012, 01:20 AM)

Here they are:

and:

He also said:

OMG! Thanks for updating. Alex absolutely destroyed that solo on Working Man TM tour. I was hoping some of that live playing translated into the studio. Here's hoping Nick talked Alex into soloing on almost every song 1022.gif

The zero keys comments has me wondering if that report of it sounding like an 80's record is accurate. We know of three songs now that don't sound like 80's assuming this one doesn't. I think BU2B has a certain GUP vibe in some spots but I wouldn't say it sounds like an 80's Rush song.

It's 2 completely different things. The only person we've heard from who was at the listening party for the whole album is the one that said "80-91 in a blender" and "keyboards are present" and "80s album with a harder edge". This was conveyed to us through Sniglets on the CP forum.

All the other comments are from radio guys who were not at the listening party, they had someone from Roadrunner come to them and only play the single for them. All of the "sounds like bytor", "sounds like 74-77", "massive Alex Lifeson solo" and the comments I just posted above only refer to Headlong Flight specifically, not the album as a whole. So "zero keys" does not conflict with "keyboards are present" at all. They are evidently on the album but just not on the single based on what they're saying.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Mar 31 2012, 10:56 AM)
QUOTE (tas7 @ Mar 31 2012, 09:27 AM)
"I wet my pants." doesn't really tell us much.

Apart from telling us he wet his pants.

rofl3.gif

Yeah, Maybe the guy just need depends?

rofl3.gif

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Mar 31 2012, 10:09 AM)

Here they are:

and:

He also said:

It's 2 completely different things. The only person we've heard from who was at the listening party for the whole album is the one that said "80-91 in a blender" and "keyboards are present" and "80s album with a harder edge". This was conveyed to us through Sniglets on the CP forum.

All the other comments are from radio guys who were not at the listening party, they had someone from Roadrunner come to them and only play the single for them. All of the "sounds like bytor", "sounds like 74-77", "massive Alex Lifeson solo" and the comments I just posted above only refer to Headlong Flight specifically, not the album as a whole. So "zero keys" does not conflict with "keyboards are present" at all. They are evidently on the album but just not on the single based on what they're saying.

Like I said again the two songs we have heard and supposedly this coming single DO NOT sound like 80-91 in a blender so even if the rest does somewhat I'm not sure I would describe the record that way. Plus.....do we really trust some guy from Counterparts board that "supposedly" had an inside friend at the listening party? I'm not counting on too many prominent keys until I hear a real "official" review. IMO there has to be some pretty prominent keys on certain songs for it to sound like 80-91 in a blender.

Edited by presto123

QUOTE (presto123 @ Mar 31 2012, 12:36 PM)

Here they are:

and:

He also said:

Like I said again the two songs we have heard and supposedly this coming single DO NOT sound like 80-91 in a blender so even if the rest does somewhat I'm not sure I would describe the record that way. Plus.....do we really trust some guy from Counterparts board that "supposedly" had an inside friend at the listening party? I'm not counting on too many prominent keys until I hear a real "official" review. IMO there has to be some pretty prominent keys on certain songs for it to sound like 80-91 in a blender.

I'll tell you one thing that WILL happen when it comes out.. People on TRF will COMPLAIN that it doesn't sound like 1980-91 in a blender! Why do people get so hung up on these quotes??

"it sounds like 1980-91 in a blender" can be translated to "it sounds like old Rush"!

the quote came from a guy who just heard a brand new song, probably once and for the first time.

Edited by MMCXII

QUOTE (MMCXII @ Mar 31 2012, 01:45 PM)

Here they are:

and:

He also said:

I'll tell you thing that WILL happen when it comes out.. People on TRF will COMPLAIN that it doesn't sound like 1980-91 in a blender! Why do people get so hung up on these quotes??

"it sounds like 1980-91 in a blender" can be translated to "it sounds like old Rush"!

the quote came from a guy who just heard a brand new song, probably once and for the first time.

No.....the 80-91 blender qoute came from a journalist that supposedly heard the Whole record. He is the same one that supposedly said the record features keyboards.

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Mar 31 2012, 01:29 PM)

Yeah, Maybe the guy just need depends?

rofl3.gif

laugh.gif

Here they are:

and:

He also said:

Well, I'm sure you know this but I wasn't vouching for the accuracy of the news or descriptions, I was just explaining where they came from and what they claimed to have heard. I discount all of the "sounds like" stuff. It's just meaningless. As I pointed out several times earlier if you go look at the release thread for Caravan and BU2B on RIAB you'll find first reactions to those songs all over the map. One person said BU2B sounded like it was something off GUP or Power Windows and another person said it sounded like Ozzy or Black Label Society. It's just silly when you look at those things after the fact. If you guys don't start ignoring the "sounds like" stuff even if the song is great you're just setting yourself up for a huge letdown. I only posted what I found because I know people would want to see it and what matters is just the excitement level. But as I said, the descriptions are worthless.

Edited by snowdog2112

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Mar 30 2012, 08:53 PM)

Sorry, but I think this is a highly inaccurate analogy. First of all, saying "What people surround themselves with is an extension of who they are" is a bit extreme. That could maybe apply to a spouse, friends, a person's artistic accomplishments or other people or things of great importance, but not to an ALBUM for the love of God! I've got about 3,000 albums. Should I get personally offended anytime someone puts one of them down?

Yeah, obviously if you go into someone's home or car and say that their car or furniture is garbage or that the art they create is shit, that could be insulting, but to extend that to the love of an individual album seems to really be taking things personally to an extreme level as far as I'm concerned, especially if you're going on a message board where it's fair game to discuss a certain subject openly and honestly, and people are expressing their often wildly divergent opinions all the time.

Seriously, people say they hate albums or groups that I love constantly, but so what? People are always calling Tales From Topographic Oceans by Yes an over-indulgent wankfest padded with over-extended filler music and unintelligible embarrassing pseudo-spiritual ridiculous lyrics. Just because it's one of my top 10 albums of all time, should I take that personally? Of course not. The album might mean a lot to me, and I might even defend it, but I still realize that musical tastes are HIGHLY subjective and no two people will agree on everything. You or someone hates it. What's the big deal? My wife can't stand a lot of my music and tells me to "turn that annoying noise down" all the time, often when I'm listening with great enjoyment and being transported into some realm of great happiness by the music. I've had other friends tell me they absolutely can't stand Rush with that whiny girl singer. Yeah, I might have a momentary twinge of shock and/or disappointment, but what's the point of getting truly upset that we have different tastes in music and someone isn't trying to sugarcoat their opinion to spare my feelings about an album? No two people will agree on everything. My taste in music simply isn't comparable to someone coming to my house and saying my taste in furniture is horrible and my place looks terrible or whatever you're comparing it to. Obviously YMMV...

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Mar 31 2012, 03:32 PM)

Here they are:

and:

He also said:

Well, I'm sure you know this but I wasn't vouching for the accuracy of the news or descriptions, I was just explaining where they came from and what they claimed to have heard. I discount all of the "sounds like" stuff. It's just meaningless. As I pointed out several times earlier if you go look at the release thread for Caravan and BU2B on RIAB you'll find first reactions to those songs all over the map. One person said BU2B sounded like it was something off GUP or Power Windows and another person said it sounded like Ozzy or Black Label Society. It's just silly when you look at those things after the fact. If you guys don't start ignoring the "sounds like" stuff even if the song is great you're just setting yourself up for a huge letdown. I only posted what I found because I know people would want to see it and what matters is just the excitement level. But as I said, the descriptions are worthless.

I get your point and that is exactly why I'm not counting on too many keys yet.(though it would be nice) I think it's a good sign many that have heard it

(the single)are pumped and that Alex might be back in the solo mode again.(on some tracks anyway)

Edited by presto123