Report Cards

Lost In Xanadu

Do you give your kids a financial incentive for getting good grades (or do your parents give you one)? My parents did when I was growing up, and we do the same with our kids.

I'm not sure what it was with my parents - I think $5 for an A and $2 for a B.

With our kids, we have been doing $5 for an A, and anything below a C = no money. Straight As = $100. My son has been very close twice to the $100, but has fallen short with a B+.

My daughter is 1 point away in 2 classes this quarter from having straight As... unsure.gif

Edited by Lost In Xanadu

Thank God i have not gotten to that yet laugh.gif Soon, i know

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Mar 8 2012, 04:55 PM)
Do you give your kids a financial incentive for getting good grades (or do your parents give you one)? My parents did when I was growing up, and we do the same with our kids.

With our kids, we have been doing $5 for an A, and anything below a C = no money. Straight As = $100. My son has been very close twice to the $100, but has fallen short with a B+.

My daughter is 1 point away in 2 classes this quarter from having straight As... unsure.gif

I do exactly this

We don't pay our kids for good grades. We expect them. That is their only job at this point.

If they don't achieve a "B" average they don't get to do extra curricular activities:

Hockey, baseball, marching band etc...

QUOTE (Digital Man @ Mar 8 2012, 06:40 PM)
We don't pay our kids for good grades. We expect them. That is their only job at this point.

If they don't achieve a "B" average they don't get to do extra curricular activities:

Hockey, baseball, marching band etc...

Yes, we feel the same, but people get bonuses for good performance at their job smile.gif

My kids get straight A's no matter what I give them, an airplane ride or an ass kickin! I hate ta brag but, they get strait A's across the board! I...errr...ahhh... that's just how it is!

They just don't know any different confused13.gif

What do I say?????

applaudit.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif applaudit.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif common001.gif trink39.gif

in middle school my dad used to give me allowance raises if I made honor roll. In high school, my parents promised not to yell at me if I passed all of my classes (and that still didn't always work). In college, my scholarship is dependent largely on my academic performance, so there's my monetary incentive right there.

Straight A's earned $100. Anything less got nothing. Yes, it created two freaked-out stressed-out kids who wigged out over one B on an otherwise stellar report card loaded with AP classes. It wasn't the money, but the message: anything less than perfection is worthless. (I loved, and still love, both parents, but this was one area where they kind of messed up).

So parents, be careful.

I used to intercept the postman, get the report card, f**k it into the lake next to the house and produce a rather spiffing facsimile, with shit-hot grades. I did this whenever a SweetSufferingJesus report card was on the way.

Never got caught either.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Mar 10 2012, 11:44 AM)
I used to intercept the postman, get the report card, f**k it into the lake next to the house and produce a rather spiffing facsimile, with shit-hot grades. I did this whenever a SweetSufferingJesus report card was on the way.

Never got caught either.

Did you ever tell your parents once you were grown and safely out of arm's reach? laugh.gif

QUOTE (Mara @ Mar 10 2012, 09:37 AM)
Straight A's earned $100. Anything less got nothing. Yes, it created two freaked-out stressed-out kids who wigged out over one B on an otherwise stellar report card loaded with AP classes. It wasn't the money, but the message: anything less than perfection is worthless. (I loved, and still love, both parents, but this was one area where they kind of messed up).

So parents, be careful.

This.

People can say (and it's been said here) that people get bonuses at work and this is no different, but I've had a lot of jobs in my life, and I can count on two fingers how many of them offered bonuses. And while job performance in aggregate was part of the determining factor of who got a bonus and who didn't, in both cases it was either "you get the $1000 bonus or you don't" - it wasn't "well, you're going to get a bonus of $50 because you did *really* good in January, $40 because you did pretty good in February...". There was no equivalent to paying for letter grades.

I wasn't paid for grades, I was paid for doing chores around the house - and not even the every day stuff, I mean like, here's ten bucks for mowing the lawn. Taking out the trash, keeping my room neat, emptying the dishwasher... stuff like that was part of living in the house, not something to get paid for.

The kids I knew in school that were paid for grades were more high-strung, generally speaking, than kids I knew who weren't. They were the ones arguing with the teachers over their B+ because they needed that A. Instead of taking a great grade and celebrating success, they were miserable because they weren't going to get the "bonus" from Mom & Dad.

Never got paid for As. Got yelled at for getting an A- once though.

Quite frankly, I deserved it.

Their Mom pays them I do not. I feel the same as Digital Man, its up to them to get the best they can. I dont kill them if they get below an A but a C is a different story. The grade scale today,60 is a D, is so low all should get all A's.

I pay for work they do above what is required.

I tell them , Get bad grades and your job will be , Can I take your order Sir.. Got to stop here before I get the tread banished to SOCN! LOL.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Mar 10 2012, 10:57 AM)
QUOTE (Mara @ Mar 10 2012, 09:37 AM)
Straight A's earned $100.  Anything less got nothing.  Yes, it created two freaked-out stressed-out kids who wigged out over one B on an otherwise stellar report card loaded with AP classes.  It wasn't the money, but the message:  anything less than perfection is worthless.  (I loved, and still love, both parents, but this was one area where they kind of messed up).

So parents, be careful.

This.

People can say (and it's been said here) that people get bonuses at work and this is no different, but I've had a lot of jobs in my life, and I can count on two fingers how many of them offered bonuses. And while job performance in aggregate was part of the determining factor of who got a bonus and who didn't, in both cases it was either "you get the $1000 bonus or you don't" - it wasn't "well, you're going to get a bonus of $50 because you did *really* good in January, $40 because you did pretty good in February...". There was no equivalent to paying for letter grades.

I wasn't paid for grades, I was paid for doing chores around the house - and not even the every day stuff, I mean like, here's ten bucks for mowing the lawn. Taking out the trash, keeping my room neat, emptying the dishwasher... stuff like that was part of living in the house, not something to get paid for.

The kids I knew in school that were paid for grades were more high-strung, generally speaking, than kids I knew who weren't. They were the ones arguing with the teachers over their B+ because they needed that A. Instead of taking a great grade and celebrating success, they were miserable because they weren't going to get the "bonus" from Mom & Dad.

Thanks for your OPINION - just remember that is what it is, you sure do present it like fact. My current job has bonuses from $250 to $2000 depending on the scope of the success. If we develop something that saves the company and customers money, it'll be the $2000.

I know plenty of kids that earn money for grades and aren't the least bit stressed.

Too many kids now don't get stressed about anything. They are all winners so it doesn't matter. I see it every year being a football coach. We will have 1 or 2 kids on the team with a little aggression and they scare the "always winner" crowd, and it gets worse every year. Sad to see any competition deemed as "stressing the kids out"

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Mar 10 2012, 06:44 AM)

Never got caught either.

rofl3.gif laugh.gif

Yeah, we were always promised some thing for good grades. But that's all it was. Just promises. My sister would tell me she got my report card before my parents got the mail. She was quite handy at forgery. She was rewarded. tongue.gif BTW, I did get caught once at trying to change my math grade. The results were not pretty. laugh.gif

I struggled in school and had poor grades. I was just not motivated at all. So one year, my parents decided to do the payment option. I got straight A's. That was the incentive I needed. That made it seem worthwhile to learn long division and how to diagram a sentence or read a book for a book report. Otherwise, it seemed to me that I didn't need to know this stuff so why bother. But with money on the line, I spent my entire free time studying to get those A's and it worked! But then once I got straight A's, my parents figured that would be my lesson in knowing I could get straight A's so they stopped rewarding me for good grades. Got straight D's the next report card. So then they started paying again. Same thing happened for house chores. No money = no worky. Money = I slaved to do as much housework as possible to get more money.

Money is a great motivator.

My parents don't reward me for my grades. Probably because it wouldn't seem right since my younger sibling is a bit lower. Plus I hardly even try anymore and continue to do well. The school really isn't doing much to push students and since I've actaully read a book in my spare time, I'm probably the top of the class.

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Mar 8 2012, 03:55 PM)

If I gave my kids $100 for every straight A report card, I'd be broke and have to take out a 2nd on my house!!!!

QUOTE (missionman @ Mar 14 2012, 10:24 AM)
QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Mar 8 2012, 03:55 PM)

My daughter is 1 point away in 2 classes this quarter from having straight As...  unsure.gif

If I gave my kids $100 for every straight A report card, I'd be broke and have to take out a 2nd on my house!!!!

If my dad had given me $5 for an A I would have had a heart attack because he was too damn tight to even give me a buck fifty for a bag of chips and a comic book. wink.gif