What is your favorite RUSH studio album cover?

Presto-a RUSH fan!

What is your favorite RUSH studio album cover?  

141 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite RUSH studio album cover?

• RUSH
    • Fly By Night
    • Caress Of Steel
    • A Farewell To Kings
    • Hemispheres
    • Permanent Waves
    • Moving Pictures
    • Signals
    • Grace Under Pressure
    • Power Windows
    • Hold Your Fire
    • Presto
    • Roll The Bones
    • Counterparts
    • Test For Echo
    • Vapor Trails
    • Snakes & Arrows

I know this has been done before, but I searched and couldn't find one...so...while we wait for CA to come out...

...what is your favorite RUSH studio album cover based on sheer artistic appeal? (I left off Feedback intentionally as I wanted to go with just RUSH original albums)

NOT based on how it represents the album with the hidden meanings OR NOT based on your favorite album. Just based on sheer artistic appeal. Like something that if you took the name RUSH and/or the album name off, it is pleasing to your eyes. Like something you'd be able to convince your spouse or significant other who hates RUSH to maybe hang in a hallway or something. laugh.gif

This was tough for me based on that criteria as I love so many based on the hidden meanings and how the cover represents the songs on the album. So it was hard to separate that in my mind. wacko.gif

So all that said....I went with Test For Echo. I just love that cover and it looks so serene. I also love the 3 little climbers climbing it. I almost went with Grace Under Pressure as it's so cool to look at, as most of the covers are except for the debut.

My top 5 based on artistic appeal to me are:

1. Test For Echo

2. Grace Under Pressure

3. Power Windows

4. Vapor Trails

5. A Farewell To Kings

Here they are for your perusal:

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h244/gobrownstd54/rush-studio-albums.jpg

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Mar 3 2012, 02:58 AM)
I'll have to think about "top 5," but the easy winner for me is Grace Under Pressure. That is one truly beautiful album cover. yes.gif wub.gif 2.gif

TFE just edged out GUP for me.

And if you make a top 5, don't let your ugly HATRED for VT or TFE cloud your judgement! tongue.gif laugh.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Mar 2 2012, 11:58 PM)
I'll have to think about "top 5," but the easy winner for me is Grace Under Pressure. That is one truly beautiful album cover. yes.gif wub.gif 2.gif

Agreed! A real piece of art yes.gif

I also love Test For Echo, Fly By Night and Presto.

Caress of Steel, maily because I really like the gold on green. In general I prefer simple album covers, because when you throw in too many ideas I just find it gets cluttered- most obvious example to me being Power Windows.

Grace Under Pressure comes in close second though. A really wonderful image that does a fantastic job capturing the tone of the music.

QUOTE (Presto-a RUSH fan! @ Mar 3 2012, 12:17 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Mar 3 2012, 02:58 AM)
I'll have to think about "top 5," but the easy winner for me is Grace Under Pressure.  That is one truly beautiful album cover. yes.gif wub.gif 2.gif

TFE just edged out GUP for me.

And if you make a top 5, don't let your ugly HATRED for VT or TFE cloud your judgement! tongue.gif laugh.gif

It's hard not to let my feelings about a certain album cloud my judgment, but I'll try.

Here's an honest attempt at an objective top 5:

1. Grace Under Pressure

2. Power Windows

3. Caress of Steel

4. Moving Pictures

5. 2112

Easily Grace Under Pressure. It's not even close but that's because I don't think Rush's album covers have ever been that good. FBN, PeW, MP and T4E are all good to but overall they don't have any album covers that are that special. The cover for GUP being the exception.

Grace Under Pressure and Vapor Trails are very well done, but Roll The Bones is my pick because the whole dice thing is just awesome. Hugh Syme is a genius:

http://www.hughsyme.com/

cool website, too.

Edit: You can order a print of the Power Windows cover from him.

Edited by drbirdsong

Signals for me. The color and composition are great--it really pops. And, it's iconic.

Power Windows is a close second. That one really captures the mood of the album in a way that I would argue few Rush covers do

QUOTE (Invisible To Telescopic Eye @ Mar 3 2012, 06:58 AM)
That was tough 'cuz they are all really cool...But I fell in love S&A right off the bat (Not the songs so much)...so it gets mey vote.

BTW there are some reall great ones out there but suprisingly one of my least faves is what seems to be the fan fave now wich is P/G.

I'm with you. I am surprised by all the love P/G is getting. That's always been my least favorite Rush cover. To my eyes it's bad 1980s art that I might have found hanging on a dentist office's wall in the 1990s.

wink.gif

Love p/g (the music and the cover), but 2112 is my pick...

Last place goes to perhaps the one with the best music, Hemispheres.

I voted for Permanent Waves.My top 5 are:

1) Permanent Waves

2) Power Windows

3) Signals

4) Grace Under Pressure

5) A Farewell To Kings

Honorable mention:

Moving Pictures

Roll The Bones

2.gif

Edited by go2wrk@95974

I can pick a top 9. They are:

1. Presto - by a hair. Love the rabbits (esp. the one in the floating hat).

2. FBN - love the owl plus the color. On some days this might be #1

3. 2112 - love the simplicity plus the red and black combination.

4. HYF - enjoy the (almost) all red cover.

5. T4E - interesting is all I can say.

6. S & A - complicated, enjoyable blend of color.

7. Counterparts - like the mostly blue with some black color combination.

8. RTB - enjoy what is done with dice.

9. P/G - just nice, interesting.

The top 3 (esp. the top 2) stand head and shoulders above the others.

After these it gets hard to rank them. Hemispheres I don't really like. Nor do I like AFTK. VT, Signals, Permanent Waves, Rush, CoS, and MP don't do anything for me one way or the other.

Power Windows? Sort of humorous but that about it. Again, does not do anything for me.