What is your favorite RUSH studio album cover?

Presto-a RUSH fan!

What is your favorite RUSH studio album cover?  

141 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite RUSH studio album cover?

• RUSH
    • Fly By Night
    • Caress Of Steel
    • A Farewell To Kings
    • Hemispheres
    • Permanent Waves
    • Moving Pictures
    • Signals
    • Grace Under Pressure
    • Power Windows
    • Hold Your Fire
    • Presto
    • Roll The Bones
    • Counterparts
    • Test For Echo
    • Vapor Trails
    • Snakes & Arrows

On related issue - Roll The Bones

Something that's troubled me from day one looking at the cover art -

Is a great cover and deserved whatever award it won but a trivial matter, i always wish the artist had made the letter 'h' in Rush written in the dice, as a capital letter 'H' :)

I know it must have been a dilemma with the dice as they were, the 'r' in Rush has to be small case but the 'US' just appear capital letters i think and kind of demand that the 'h' follows as a capital in progression.

In short, even though the 'r' is defo small case and the 'US' in theory probably small case too - leading to a small case 'h' - i just think a capital 'H' may have given a more pleasing aesthetic effect. The small case 'h' just looks too small in my view.

That being said, i know some will say 'but if you make the 'h' a capital 'H' then the small case 'r' will look out of place, which has some virtue, i just think would be a reasonable sacrifice to make in respect of a more balanced aesthetic appearance in the word 'RUSH'

Of course all this would have been moot had the artist constructed the wall out of smaller and more dice, the small case 'r' could've been made a fully capital 'R' of course but obviously the artist felt the size of the dice had to be as he made them.

just a point of view that's been stuck in my head since the very release of the album, thanks for bearing with it.

• Like 1

On related issue - Roll The Bones

Of course all this would have been moot had the artist constructed the wall out of smaller and more dice, the small case 'r' could've been made a fully capital 'R' of course but obviously the artist felt the size of the dice had to be as he made them.

So this was the the first studio album (Chronicles was actually the first) that did not get a North American release on vinyl. This meant that the artwork was designed and planned for CD measurements. I think that had a lot more to do with the artistic choice of the size of the dice than what the artist's preference was. Had this been designed for a vinyl LP I suspect it would have had smaller dice with a capital R.

I have to say though, I disagree with you since both the U and the S can be interpreted as being lower case, especially if the font in question is in a kind of vertical-monospace (square or geometric or fixed-hieght), which is the case here. If we look at it typed it is either rush or rusH. I have to say, to my eyes the first one looks better. Having a lower-case letter to start a word that is in all caps just looks really odd and backwards. iT wOULD lOOK lIKE tHIS, rUSH. Nope, not a fan!

• Like 1

Ok thanks for the viewpoint and you maybe correct on the cd format thing, but even looking at the words rush as you present them is clearly obvious to me that the second better in terms of aesthetic balance. The first small 'h' just looks completely out of place to me.

Nevertheless is just a point of view, if you like the first better then fair enough.

• Like 1