OMG Rush on American Idol

krlowe

QUOTE (thizzellewashington @ Feb 2 2012, 02:03 PM)
Randy Jackson speaking positively of Geddy Lee as a vocalist on national TV is a win regardless of context.

nope.avi

http://i.imgur.com/vkOBS.png

http://i.imgur.com/IRMPM.jpg

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I pity anyone who tries to sing a RUSH song on t.v....

cause you know they're gonna come up short.

..Good try , though. yes.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (Todem @ Feb 2 2012, 12:15 PM)
QUOTE (Ovningskora @ Feb 2 2012, 02:00 PM)
i know we as people (especially americants) love watching cases of harsh criticism, humiliation, and people forced into uncomfortable situations

but you think at least here on trf more people would be siding with the fellow rush fan than some ass hole tv star. oh well.

I was rooting for the kid. As soon as he said I will be singing Tom Sawyer from Rush I lept from my chair.

Then he sucked ass.

All depends on how much of a doucher you are, I guess...

QUOTE (Todem @ Feb 2 2012, 12:14 PM)
That was about as bad as a representation of a Rush fan we could have asked for.

So in essence the time tested sterotype of nerdy D&D geeks making up 95% of Rush fans in the world lives on.

Oh brother.

And sorry those that are D&D nerdy Rush fans. I love you guys. But I hate being associated with freaks.

Just saying.

oh, quite the doucher.

and fix'd.

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Edited by Ovningskora

QUOTE (Todem @ Feb 2 2012, 01:15 PM)
i know we as people (especially americants) love watching cases of harsh criticism, humiliation, and people forced into uncomfortable situations

but you think at least here on trf more people would be siding with the fellow rush fan than some ass hole tv star. oh well.

I was rooting for the kid. As soon as he said I will be singing Tom Sawyer from Rush I lept from my chair.

Then he sucked ass.

the second time i watched the clip, i only listened to it, and you know what, his voice wasn't half bad AT FIRST, before he started to go falsetto, and then he kind of lost it. i'm not saying he was american idol material, or that his voice was great, but there are parts of it that aren't bad. he didn't butcher the entire thing.

and i don't think someone singing a rush song badly is a bad thing. on those early shows most of the clips are people singing songs badly. it doesn't make the song look bad, it actually shows that the songs were originally sung quite well and that it's hard to match it. that's what randy was saying.

in the end it ended up being pure win having randy jackson pay geddy a compliment about his voice in front of a big national audience. rush rarely catches a break in anything resembling mainstream opinion and thought...

QUOTE (Oracle @ Feb 2 2012, 01:17 AM)
QUOTE (Bastille Dave @ Feb 1 2012, 09:00 PM)
American Idol and Rush should never be in the same sentence.

http://i973.photobucket.com/albums/ae217/Sigma66/waitaminute.png

We'll get this...eventually.

There are some things that should never be in the same sentence as American Idol. Such as, Rush.

There, how's that? wink.gif

QUOTE (Ovningskora @ Feb 2 2012, 09:17 PM)
QUOTE (Todem @ Feb 2 2012, 12:15 PM)

Then he sucked ass.

All depends on how much of a doucher you are, I guess...

QUOTE (Todem @ Feb 2 2012, 12:14 PM)
That was about as bad as a representation of a Rush fan we could have asked for.

So in essence the time tested sterotype of nerdy D&D geeks making up 95% of Rush fans in the world lives on.

Oh brother.

And sorry those that are D&D nerdy Rush fans. I love you guys. But I hate being associated with freaks.

Just saying.

oh, quite the doucher.

and fix'd.

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Actually you editing my post shows your complete lack of a sense of humor.

Sheesh I think you mixed up who the dousher is......geek. wink.gif

Edited by Todem

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 3 2012, 12:07 AM)
QUOTE (Todem @ Feb 2 2012, 01:15 PM)

Then he sucked ass.

the second time i watched the clip, i only listened to it, and you know what, his voice wasn't half bad AT FIRST, before he started to go falsetto, and then he kind of lost it. i'm not saying he was american idol material, or that his voice was great, but there are parts of it that aren't bad. he didn't butcher the entire thing.

and i don't think someone singing a rush song badly is a bad thing. on those early shows most of the clips are people singing songs badly. it doesn't make the song look bad, it actually shows that the songs were originally sung quite well and that it's hard to match it. that's what randy was saying.

in the end it ended up being pure win having randy jackson pay geddy a compliment about his voice in front of a big national audience. rush rarely catches a break in anything resembling mainstream opinion and thought...

He gave it a shot. I was rooting for him. But man...he came up short.

Randy's comment was cool. Steven Tyler I knew would be say nothing. And Jennifer...she looked dazed and confused.

Edited by Todem

This is related:

Rush: Trio Celebrates 30 Years Of Innovation And Success -May 15th, 2004

What are some of the most significant changes you have seen in the music business?

Alex Lifeson: Popular music today, I just don't see a great deal of merit in it. I always feel terrible saying something like that, because I know to the artist, they're loving what they do, and it's the world to them. Even "American Idol," seeing all those kids on there, what an amazing thrill it is for them to be on something like that. But the level of mediocrity that's exposed is just amazing, and that's what they're promoting.

More Sugar Interview With Geddy Lee of Rush

Here's an interesting piece of trivia, the guy that filmed the "Xanadu" and "Farewell To Kings" stuff that's on there went on to be the director of American Idol," laughs Geddy Lee.

Geddy Lee makes a humorous appearance spoofing an American Idol judge in the video for "Fire Eye'd Boy" by Broken Social Scene.

Saw the clip. Loved seeing some one have the fortitude to sing Rush on TV. How awesome would it be if he sang Panacea or Discovery. Beautiful songs!

Anyways,

Good job, Weed, wait to represent us. Keep the mission going, cause after all a spirit is dream, with a Mission!!

QUOTE (Perchance to Dream @ Feb 3 2012, 12:57 PM)
I wasn't aware that there were issues between Rush and Aerrosmith. Can somebody explain what happened?

Rush opened for aerosmith on I think the toys in the attic tour....they treated them like shit, with Neil saying they learned what not too do as a headlining band...although years later, Steven Tyler ran into a member of the Rush crew, And apologized for being such a dick...cocaine is a hell of a drug!

To sum up.

I, too, jumped out of my seat when they announced the kid would be singing RUSH.

I cringed some when he opened his mouth.

I grinned ridiculously when Randy gave Geddy props. (not in a..OOH Randy Jackson likes Geddy! That'll solidify the legend!...more in a "Dawg...that's righteous!" kinda way)

I flipped when they played the TS outro.

I was overall pleased with the performance, but we're not ready for Hollywood.

smile.gif

oh wait...RUSH has already been there. Nuff said.

QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Feb 3 2012, 08:27 AM)
I always kinda felt Randy was the real deal. I've got respect for him now that I know he respects Geddy.

For realz dawg

trink36.gif

I applaud the kid for trying. And honestly, I didn't think he sounded as bad as some are saying. With music, that would have sounded alot better. That said, that is totally the wrong song to try to sing on AI, a cappella and trying to sound like Geddy is probably not smart...there is only one Geddy.

And I do appreciate Randy giving some props to Geddy. And I like that they played some Tom Sawyer. And as somone else said, "for realz, dog".

But the people ripping the poor kid, I mean he is one of us! He could easily be on this forum!

I say he deserves credit for going onto AI and the song he picks is Tom Sawyer! Just from a fan stand point, that is awesome!

As much as I hope and pray RUSH never appears on AI, I wouldn't mind it if someone with a great voice sang a RUSH song. Could you see someone singing a song like Resist with just an acoustic guitar? Depending on the talent of the person, I think it COULD be amazing.

Like say if Jacob Moon was a unknown singer and he came on and did Subdivisions, like he does, I would love it!

And speaking of Jacob Moon, as someone already mentioned him, if you haven't seen his video for Subdivisions, you need to check it out. Not only did he do an amazing job with the song, the video is amazing in its simplicity, yet what he is doing is so very complex. Here is a link:

I love that he does EVERYTHING. I love the beginning when he makes the recording of "Subdivisions" and then he plays it into the microphone during the song. Just an amazing job vocally, instrumentally and creatively. And I love the video. The setting couldn't have been more perfect. You used to be able to purchase Jacob Moon's version on Amazon for $0.99, which I did, but now it's unavailable for some reason.

I agree with those saying the choice of song was not the best. It's also got to be tough when you're nervous; I think that with more experience in front of people, this wouldn't have factored in as it did.

I also have a greater appreciation for what Rush tribute band singers are trying to do after watching this.

In my opinion, a Rush song isn't suitable for something like American Idol.

Now, if it were me on that show, I would pick something that is all about the voice since that's what that show seems to be all about - singing. I would pick some tune that is primarily known for its singing. Rush is not known for that. It's the one thing that keeps people from being fans.