50 Greatest Guitar Solos

Xanadoood

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a crock of shit! Sweet Child O' Mine # 1 - are you kidding! An absolute joke of a list to me- Bad Brains? Smashing Pumpkins? The biggest laugh is Smells Like Teen Spirit! Does that rubbish he plays even count as a solo? By far the most overrated band and songwriter ever! At least Angus was on it with my favorite AC/DC tune. 1022.gif

In fact, Comfortably Numb isn't even in their list at all. Epic and complete fukking fail. This list is not even worth discussing if they take stupid to this level. banghead.gif

Move along. Nothing to see here.

Edited by driventotheedge

QUOTE (Enemy Within 77 @ Jan 10 2012, 01:48 AM)
Smashing Pumpkins?

I gotta defend this one. I don't think it's one of the top 50 of all time, but it might be one of my top 50. It's a great song off of a great heavily guitar driver album and Billy Corgan is a great guitar player, and if 2.gif fans think Lerxst is underrated, BC gets even less respect.

Thought's ? Pure crap.

yeah, i gave up after i read Joan Jett. crock of sh*t.

also, it's seems like these were mostly alternative - type bands that i honestly have never even heard of.

might want to change the title to "50 supposedly greatest guitar solos in alternative/emo music, with a few good rock ones mixed in"

b.s.

Due to the responses, I don't think I will open up the article. I don't want to get pissed off.

Thank you, TRF for keeping me cheerful. smile.gif

QUOTE (Invisible To Telescopic Eye @ Jan 10 2012, 06:49 AM)
QUOTE (Enemy Within 77 @ Jan 10 2012, 01:48 AM)
Smashing Pumpkins?

I gotta defend this one. I don't think it's one of the top 50 of all time, but it might be one of my top 50. It's a great song off of a great heavily guitar driver album and Billy Corgan is a great guitar player, and if 2.gif fans think Lerxst is underrated, BC gets even less respect.

True, Soma is my favorite 90s solo of all time. Nice to see Purple Rain on that list as well.

One non CN snub I gotta complain about...Cult of Personality. Vernon Reid doesn't get enough credit amongst rock critics. He's such an underrated guitarist.

what a joke by NothingMusicalExist. There's a big difference with riffs and solos. Where's for example Limelight solo by Lifeson ? For me maybe the most emotional solo is courtesy by David Gilmour on "Comfortably Numb" which he performed 15th of July 1989 in Piazza San Marco, Venezia ITA, in front of 250000 spectators. That's the most emotional for me, which I say always first if someone asking. Che spettacolo ! David knew the history and place where he was playing..a total astounding beauty. The mother of all guitar solos in my opinion.

Obviously this list is shit.

There are well over 50 solos that I can think of that could almost completely replace this list.

I'll say one thing...I am a Nirvana fan, I really am. But what the hell are these magazine's obsessions with Kurt? I'm sure even Mr. Cobain himself would tell you he was never a great guitarist. He wrote simple stuff that sounded good for what they were doing.

Smells Like Teen Spirit at Number 6? I remember a Rolling Stone list years ago that ranked it as the Number 1 (ONE!) solo. Seriously? It's not even Kurt's best solo...I know right off the top that 'Come As You Are' has a better 'solo'.

No Satriani? EVH has many more. David Gilmour has many more.

This list is just so so very weak.

QUOTE (hannuFIN @ Jan 10 2012, 10:35 AM)
what a joke by NothingMusicalExist. There's a big difference with riffs and solos. Where's for example Limelight solo by Lifeson ? For me maybe the most emotional solo is courtesy by David Gilmour on "Comfortably Numb" which he performed 15th of July 1989 in Piazza San Marco, Venezia ITA, in front of 250000 spectators. That's the most emotional for me, which I say always first if someone asking. Che spettacolo ! David knew the history and place where he was playing..a total astounding beauty. The mother of all guitar solos in my opinion.

Is there possibly video of this?

QUOTE (yaoi_myantidrug @ Jan 10 2012, 12:55 PM)
QUOTE (hannuFIN @ Jan 10 2012, 10:35 AM)

Is there possibly video of this?

Ask and ye shall receive:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGdt4Z1loBc

Prego..this gives me chills, every time. Have a visit that place if possible, I did twice, when ten 1976 and one time later 1992. I have cried with this, mind blowing (at least for sentimental me wink.gif

PF@Piazza San Marco (VE), 15-07-89

Comfortably Numb 15-7-89, second shot

He's been there few times after that concert walking through foggy balcons and bridges smiling like Hannibal Lecter did with that prince of strawn hats "Panama" after Silence of the Lambs" ; )..