Teen aged rush fans

micgtr71

I teach high school and my first period class begins just before 8 am. I walk in there today and there are two guys in there talking about guitar. Both of them are guitar players. One of them says, "I don't care what they say, his sound on Hemispheres is the best. That chorused up distortion is what it is all about." The other guy agrees but says that his favorite sound is the clean chords on the Necromancer and Fountain. First guy thinks a minute and agrees but says Hemispheres is flawless. A third guy walks in and says "Sorry man, he's right. Hemispheres is worth the price of admission for the first track alone. That first chord nails it. Also, La Villa..." All three nod. I don't know what to say. They look at me and ask me if I like Rush. I smile and tell them that I haven't missed a tour since 86. They are impressed. It was difficult to start the lesson that day.

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Jan 6 2012, 08:42 PM)
I teach high school and my first period class begins just before 8 am. I walk in there today and there are two guys in there talking about guitar. Both of them are guitar players. One of them says, "I don't care what they say, his sound on Hemispheres is the best. That chorused up distortion is what it is all about." The other guy agrees but says that his favorite sound is the clean chords on the Necromancer and Fountain. First guy thinks a minute and agrees but says Hemispheres is flawless. A third guy walks in and says "Sorry man, he's right. Hemispheres is worth the price of admission for the first track alone. That first chord nails it. Also, La Villa..." All three nod. I don't know what to say. They look at me and ask me if I like Rush. I smile and tell them that I haven't missed a tour since 86. They are impressed. It was difficult to start the lesson that day.

That.

Is.

Awesome!

My old math teacher was a big Rush nut, but he only mentioned it once on the first day. Someone asked him what he thought about Neil Peart. He replied, "The Professor is only the single greatest drummer that ever lived. YYZ? Pefection."

Too bad I'm no longer in his class. Or yours. The bands my current Accounting/Business teacher obsesses about are Pearl Jam, The Who, & The Doors.

Edited by Union 5-3992

That's awesome. Glad to know that Rush is still reaching people, including younger people.

I didn't know of Rush in high school, but I was a huge Fleetwood Mac fan then, and still am. No one but myself and my best friend even knew who they were. My spanish teacher actually was a fan, so it was cool talking to him about them. Unfortunately he was a creep, so we couldn't stand to be around him for more than a few minutes. lol

QUOTE (liddybuck01 @ Jan 6 2012, 09:56 PM)
That's awesome. Glad to know that Rush is still reaching people, including younger people.

I didn't know of Rush in high school, but I was a huge Fleetwood Mac fan then, and still am. No one but myself and my best friend even knew who they were. My spanish teacher actually was a fan, so it was cool talking to him about them. Unfortunately he was a creep, so we couldn't stand to be around him for more than a few minutes. lol

spooky, liddybuck.

As I write this, Fleetwood Mac's "Lies" is playing on the cable channel that plays 80s music. I'm listening to the music on that channel this evening.

In regards to Rush, I wonder what group these teens are part of since the "cool" kids don't know who Rush even is.

Yes, we teenage Rush fans are really awesome. My faith in my generation has been restored by them, as well as classic rock-loving teenagers. tongue.gif

It would make my entire day if I walked in on two classmates discussing Alex's guitar work on Hemispheres. That would be full of win. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I went to a Christmas party at the home of a co-worker. I was talking with her husband about music and the subject of Rush came up. We were reliving a few memories and his daughter spoke up and said how much she loves Power Windows and said she wished her generation had great music like that in her century. I almost cried.

QUOTE (Analog_Bro @ Jan 6 2012, 11:06 PM)
18 year old Rush fan here!

Yeah I have another friend who is a hardcore Rush fan and all we do whenever we hang is chat about Rush the entire time tongue.gif

13 year old rush fan here

I was a teenager when I began loving Rush. 21 now, so a young adult, but still. Classic rock is truly alive amongst my generation. And I know a few people who really enjoy Rush. Not to the extent I do, but there are younger fans out there, and growing every day. smile.gif

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Jan 6 2012, 09:42 PM)

I think the lesson was started and finished before class started.

I get the most comments from teen boys at my daughters high school about Rush when they see my RUSHGRL plate or here their music blasting out my windows.

She has a new teacher(new semester) who she knows is a Rush fan as he was going over the course and his background was the TM CD cover.

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Jan 6 2012, 07:42 PM)

Sounds like the conversations I had with my friends in high school. Funny thing is, most of my teachers weren't Rush fans. I did have one who was a Jethro Tull fan, though, so that was fun!

Over Christmas, I met my niece's new boyfriend, who's a big Rush fan (he and my niece are 19). We had a great time talking about the band and related topics, like the steampunk pocket watch my niece gave him that I told him reminded me of Rush's TM and CA designs! My favorite moment was when my 72-year-old mother piped into the Rush discussion, "I liked that Time Machine movie"! She went with me to see it because my boyfriend was out of town and she knew the part of town where the movie was much better than I do. Anyway, I was about bursting out of my skin with Rush pride with the youngest and oldest members of the family digging on Rush!

I told my niece's boyfriend we'd all have to go together if Rush plays nearby on the CA tour. I think we even need to bring Mom!

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Jan 6 2012, 09:42 PM)

Wow! Where are those guys at my school! Cool stuff, though!

Nice! biggrin.gif 17-year-old Rush fan here; I'm also a girl. laugh.gif So when I wear my Rush shirt in public, I get people asking me questions about the band, like they're thinking "silly girl, I bet she knows like two songs by this band". Turns out I know a lot more about Rush than a lot of the people who ask me about it! tongue.gif cool.gif

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Jan 7 2012, 10:42 AM)

Let them skip the final exam! laugh.gif

Back in the late 80s my 10th grade English teacher looked like Ian Anderson so I told him so. In an overly-exaggerated way (reminicient of a certain flute player) he said and gestured, "I do NOT have snot running down my nose!" laugh.gif

QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ Jan 7 2012, 08:32 PM)
Over Christmas, I met my niece's new boyfriend, who's a big Rush fan (he and my niece are 19). We had a great time talking about the band and related topics, like the steampunk pocket watch my niece gave him that I told him reminded me of Rush's TM and CA designs! My favorite moment was when my 72-year-old mother piped into the Rush discussion, "I liked that Time Machine movie"! She went with me to see it because my boyfriend was out of town and she knew the part of town where the movie was much better than I do. Anyway, I was about bursting out of my skin with Rush pride with the youngest and oldest members of the family digging on Rush!

I told my niece's boyfriend we'd all have to go together if Rush plays nearby on the CA tour. I think we even need to bring Mom!

That is great. My mom is in her 70s and understands my afinity for Rush but I don't think I could ever get her to go to a show.