2nd Encore

losingit2k

Do you think a 2nd Encore would be good?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think a 2nd Encore would be good?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
    • Yes but only of the the first Encore is cut shorter

They should use Dog Years for their second encore so that the place could be cleared out in record time.

Maybe someone can explain something to me I've never quite understood. Is it normal for encores to be planned in advance the way Rush does? I mean, the way I thought of an encore is when the audience asks for it via applause after a show has ended. With Rush, not only are the songs decided on before the tour begins, but it happens at every show regardless. I always find it a bit strange when they pretend to say goodbye after the last song in the normal set, when they know they're coming back out for an encore. Why have that charade? Edited by Shreddy Lee

Rush doesn't do real encore, a encore should be spontaneous, rush's one is planned at the beginning of the tour, and every fan know there will be one. A second encore would be too much after a 2 hours and 40 minutes. And the guys are getting old.

Closer to the Heart extended jam? No thanks...I agree that the encore has been changed in theory. It was always something that the audience demanded with their reaction to the show. Maybe they should do a second encore if the audience demanded it, which we probably would...but not Closer to the Heart extended jam.

It could be amazing if they do a different cover every night... so they can make it differently and be entertained for the whole tour... maybe only instrumental... or a medley of covers... start with Zep, then transform it in Who, and close it with Clapton 653.gif

Then, they'll do the final Rush song of the show biggrin.gif

Edited by Alexmai

The planned encore is a relic of days gone by that, for some reason, refuses to die. Encores were supposed to be spontaneous - if a performer did exceptionally well, the thunderous reaction at the end of the show would convince him to go back out for one more song. Sometime in the past few decades, the planned encore took hold and won't let go - and it's not just Rush, it's pretty common.

Them: "Thank you very much, good-night!"

Me: "<sigh> Wait for it... wait for it... 3... 2... 1..."

Them: "We're back! You wouldn't let us leave!"

Me: "BECAUSE YOU WOULDN'T TURN ON THE LIGHTS!"

When I saw the Eagles they did 3 encores ... after two encores people were starting to leave, and here they come again! But it was pretty cool.

YOU WOULDN'T TURN ON THE LIGHTS

Always a dead giveaway eh? cool.gif

No, encores are planned. I would rather have the songs put into the main setlist so that it's longer without interruption. Ozzy did a few unplanned encores here in Montreal (by the looks he was giving the people offstage, he wasn't sure whether to walk off stage or keep playing). If Rush did something like that, I would be all for it.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Jan 5 2012, 04:53 AM)
The planned encore is a relic of days gone by that, for some reason, refuses to die. Encores were supposed to be spontaneous - if a performer did exceptionally well, the thunderous reaction at the end of the show would convince him to go back out for one more song. Sometime in the past few decades, the planned encore took hold and won't let go - and it's not just Rush, it's pretty common.

Them: "Thank you very much, good-night!"
Me: "<sigh> Wait for it... wait for it... 3... 2... 1..."
Them: "We're back! You wouldn't let us leave!"
Me: "BECAUSE YOU WOULDN'T TURN ON THE LIGHTS!"

goodpost.gif

Rush always "plays exceptionally well" and "gets a thunderous reaction" so of course an encore is required, and therefore planned. How could they not?

Very seldom do you see a band do an unplanned encore...for whatever reason, Rush has always been one of those bands that strictly sticks to the setlist, and has a planned encore every night... some of the "jam bands" that are out there that seem to jumble their set lists tend to have unplanned encores...I've been to a few shows where they came out, played an encore and the crowd wouldn't leave, and then come out and play more (Gov't Mule, Dave Matthews, Allman Brothers) I've seen bootlegs that have that as well.

Does it take away from the show? no...it's usual that the crowd wants more...but to really call it an "encore" confused13.gif I mean I'm not complaining a few more tunes always works! 653.gif

Seems like the encore has become an integral crowd management tool, pretty much required to get people out in as orderly a fashion as possible.

Jam bands (some mentioned above) will do legit, unplanned encores, but few others will. And band like RUSH, whose setlist is pretty much locked in? Never.

QUOTE (kbomb106 @ Jan 5 2012, 04:41 PM)
Just play a 1 song set. That way, everything after it will be an encore. The encore can be 2h55m longer than the show itself. smile.gif

This...This is genius

Sure, I wouldn't turn it down smile.gif Maybe it could be an unplanned/rotating selection on their last tour (that is, if they decide in advance that a tour will be their last - so far, I think they've left them open-ended). Edited by 1 of the 7

QUOTE (Alexmai @ Jan 5 2012, 08:50 PM)
It could be amazing if they do a different cover every night... so they can make it differently and be entertained for the whole tour... maybe only instrumental... or a medley of covers... start with Zep, then transform it in Who, and close it with Clapton  653.gif
Then, they'll do the final Rush song of the show  biggrin.gif

I think most fans would rather see them playing their own tunes over a medley of covers from even awesome bands like The Who or Led Zep. Spontaneity and variety are cool but I'd rather see them do those things with their own material.

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Jan 6 2012, 01:58 PM)
No. I hate encores. As others have said, they're not spontaneous and are always planned ahead of time. They should just play the encore songs as part of the regular set and then end the show.

Well yes, but if they're planned, why not two?

confused13.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jan 6 2012, 10:43 PM)
QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Jan 6 2012, 01:58 PM)
No. I hate encores. As others have said, they're not spontaneous and are always planned ahead of time. They should just play the encore songs as part of the regular set and then end the show.

Well yes, but if they're planned, why not two?

confused13.gif

If they did have a planned second encore then they would probably take 2 songs out of the regular set to play. We wouldn't be getting any more songs so it wouldn't really make much sense to.