73 members have voted

1. 1. Zep vs Floyd

• Led Zeppelin
    • Pink Floyd

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Dec 26 2011, 10:41 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Dec 26 2011, 04:52 AM)
QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Dec 25 2011, 10:53 PM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Dec 25 2011, 03:15 AM)
Let's face it, Bonham and Jones blows Waters and Mason away!!

no.gif Maybe if you listen to The Wall and Animals, but go listen to live stuff from 1969-72, and you'll see the true power of Mason/Waters. Saucerful of Secrets live on Pompeii is immaculate!

Also, look up the St. Tropez footage from 1970. Great stuff!

Wow, somehow I never came across this St. Tropez footage - thank you for that!

Is there a high quality audio bootleg of the St. Tropez material? If so, does anyone know what it's called?

If you get a good version of the film, the audio is pretty darn good! 1022.gif

Found it over at QualityBootz, lots of great Floyd boots over there! smile.gif

I hear ya, I just find myself watching musical videos a very rare event. Even Pink Floyd at Pompeii, which is arguably the best concert video/movie ever, I've seen twice, MAYBE three times. The bootleg audio CD I have of the Pompeii show, however, I've listened to many times. I'm really much more into audio when it comes to music.

If this existed on a CD, I'd definitely give it a bunch o spins, as the sound quality sounds really pretty good for a 1970 Floyd show. smile.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Dec 26 2011, 09:42 PM)

no.gif Maybe if you listen to The Wall and Animals, but go listen to live stuff from 1969-72, and you'll see the true power of Mason/Waters. Saucerful of Secrets live on Pompeii is immaculate!

Is there a high quality audio bootleg of the St. Tropez material? If so, does anyone know what it's called?

I hear ya, I just find myself watching musical videos a very rare event. Even Pink Floyd at Pompeii, which is arguably the best concert video/movie ever, I've seen twice, MAYBE three times. The bootleg audio CD I have of the Pompeii show, however, I've listened to many times. I'm really much more into audio when it comes to music.

If this existed on a CD, I'd definitely give it a bunch o spins, as the sound quality sounds really pretty good for a 1970 Floyd show. smile.gif 1022.gif

For Atom Heart Mother bootlegs, check out one recorded in Hamburg called M502. Audience, but you will not regret it! 1022.gif

90-minute setlist, sounds full to me!

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Dec 26 2011, 07:51 PM)

For Atom Heart Mother bootlegs, check out one recorded in Hamburg called M502. Audience, but you will not regret it! 1022.gif

Got that one. yes.gif

The best one is sometimes called Atom Heart Mother Goes on the Road, but it's also known as their 1970-1971 BBC material and by other bootlegs. The AHMGOTR however has the full show and in really amazing quality - not to be missed.

Scrape away the more annoying Zep songs like D'yer Maker, Hot Dog and most of In Through The Out Door, I'd choose them.

But if you include everything by both bands, I'd go with Pink Floyd - especially with Syd Barrett.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Dec 26 2011, 11:01 PM)
QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Dec 26 2011, 07:51 PM)

Got that one. yes.gif

The best one is sometimes called Atom Heart Mother Goes on the Road, but it's also known as their 1970-1971 BBC material and by other bootlegs. The AHMGOTR however has the full show and in really amazing quality - not to be missed.

I'll have to check that out! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Steevo @ Dec 28 2011, 11:47 PM)
QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Dec 29 2011, 06:53 PM)
Impossible decision for me since we're talking my two favorite bands. Cool that the results are so close.

Excellent being so close yes.gif

For a long while the Floyd had about 35% of the vote, but in the last couple of days it's climbed up to 45% - very cool! Somwhere in some psychedelic sphere, Syd is smiling.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Dec 29 2011, 06:53 AM)
QUOTE (Steevo @ Dec 28 2011, 11:47 PM)
QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Dec 29 2011, 06:53 PM)
Impossible decision for me since we're talking my two favorite bands. Cool that the results are so close.

Excellent being so close yes.gif

For a long while the Floyd had about 35% of the vote, but in the last couple of days it's climbed up to 45% - very cool! Somwhere in some psychedelic sphere, Syd is smiling.

I guess the Floyd fans are showing up! 1022.gif

QUOTE (invisible airwave @ Dec 30 2011, 06:06 PM)
QUOTE (Earthshine @ Dec 30 2011, 07:29 AM)
Cannot compare them. Apples (Led Zeppelin) and oranges (Pink Floyd).

More like apples (Floyd) and in Zeppelin's case...tangerines! laugh.gif wink.gif

doh.gif

Love Pink Floyd. amazing space rock journey if you want to think, also besides just listening. Both british bands made wonderful contributions to music. Zep with their bluesy roots and Floyd with their sound, lyrics and harmonies.

Led Zeppelin, after all very good rock songs but finally for me "just" very good background music (I first heard them 1976, when I was 10, liked _a lot_one of my favourites..but decades after not so..) while u r doing BBQ and having party time..but not till'the end.

Both amazing in their own style but Floyd is for life, sound and the one of very few bands which music and its beauty has made me cry because of joy of music. David Gilmour can do more with one note than most other guitar players can do with the whole fretboard. 70's the decade when the best (rock, progressive whatever classic rock) music was done.

rip: Syd, Richard and Bonzo.

Can't do it. They are both fantastic. I do reach for Floyd more often though so I guess that does lean me into that direction...but not enough to vote.