A Rush-Loving Woman

Gilbertk

So I've started dating this girl.. and most girls in the world (roughly 99.999%) prefer pretty much everything else over Rush. Well I did the unthinkable on our first date and turned control of my iPod over to her while I was driving. What did she put on? John Mayer? Lady Gaga? Taylor Swift?

Nay.

Fly By Night followed by The Body Electric.

Gentlemen, I am in love.

Now... would the college-age guys who like RUSH please stand up?

So far I've run into just two guys who like 'em... and one of the custodial staff in my residence hall. (But she's awesome. We had a long conversation about RUSH's awesomeness while she was working and I was (supposed to be) studying. biggrin.gif)

Congrats Gilbert! It's great to see couples who share a love of Rush. Has she ever been to a show? If not, how cool that you'll get to go together heart.gif

My boyfriend has come around a lot, but it's taken some effort! He should appreciate what a rare bird he has (and not let me wander off at Rush shows, heehee)!

Fantastic! Keep hold of that one! yes.gif

Closest I ever came was when I was getting to know a girl and we start talking about music. She seemed interested when I said I like Rush so I say "oh are you a Rush fan too?" and she says "no but I think it means you know good music"

Kinda cool anyway smile.gif

You guys are funny. You'd probably marry the first woman you met who knows another Rush song other than Tom Sawyer. laugh.gif

Or I can imagine this:

Rush Fan: Man, I met the greatest girl last night at a bar.

Friend: Awesome. What was her name?

Rush Fan: Well, I didn't actually talk to her but she had the coolest Fly By Night t-shirt I've ever seen.

tongue.gif

QUOTE (PolarizeMe @ Dec 16 2011, 02:15 AM)
QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Dec 15 2011, 09:07 PM)
I found a girl who I thought liked Rush, but it turned out she liked Paramore. 062802puke_prv.gif

Ouch! 062802puke_prv.gif

I don't know who Paramore is, but ouch indeed...

QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ Dec 15 2011, 10:38 PM)
Congrats Gilbert! It's great to see couples who share a love of Rush. Has she ever been to a show? If not, how cool that you'll get to go together heart.gif

My boyfriend has come around a lot, but it's taken some effort! He should appreciate what a rare bird he has (and not let me wander off at Rush shows, heehee)!

No she hasn't! I'm so excited to take her for the Clockwork Angels tour!

QUOTE (Babycat @ Dec 16 2011, 05:56 AM)
QUOTE (PolarizeMe @ Dec 16 2011, 02:15 AM)
QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Dec 15 2011, 09:07 PM)
I found a girl who I thought liked Rush, but it turned out she liked Paramore. 062802puke_prv.gif

Ouch! 062802puke_prv.gif

I don't know who Paramore is, but ouch indeed...

Funny thing is... I actually like Paramore (remnant of my high school days) and she hates them! haha.

My gf hates them with a serious passion. They are a total nerd band to her. But the good thing is that I have a huge variety in the music I like. She loves some Metallica, rap, dance, Lady Gaga, Nicki Minaj, stuff like that, but so do I, so it works out.

The closest she will come to anything like Rush at all I guess is Mars Volta, who Neil is a fan of, a band that reminds me of old Rush. She likes their song The Widow a LOT. But they have a much more modern prog sound than Rush, so I cant get her to like stuff like 2112. Not happening.

I still think about the (love-at-first sight crush) girl I met in college who I instantly was drawn to. A bunch of people were hanging out (not enough to really consider it a party) at my buddy's apartment and this beautiful young lady was singing along to Zeppelin's 'Down By The Seaside'. As you know, not many people know that tune. We talked for awhile and certainly music got brought up. Her favorite Rush song was 'Lakeside Park'.

Unfortunately for me I had a girlfriend at the time so I never got any contact information to try to see her again.

To this day, I always wonder what could have happened...

(FYI - I saw her about five years later on a subway in Manhattan leaving an Allman Brothers show at the Beacon. We were both from Virginia)

QUOTE (Digital Man @ Dec 16 2011, 10:54 AM)
That's awesome.

I do have a question though:

Why do you have John Mayer, Lady Gaga and Taylor swift on your iPod? tongue.gif

I'll admit it, I like them! Haha. It just shocked me that she passed them by.

I was waiting for someone to catch that biggrin.gif

I was at a former friends wedding and another friend who attended was dating a girl. The girl (as well as my friend) loved RUSH. I was in love at first sight! She was beautiful and she knew everything RUSH. It was so weird to talk to a girl who knows RUSH. I lost track of that friend so I don't know if he ended up marrying that girl but if he didn't, I wish I would run into her! When your talking Caress of Steel with a girl you know she's not a casual fan!