The state of Music today

ACL

Sigh ... If your going to buy your children anything this holiday season, Please make it a musical instrument, and not another iProduct, you will be helping to make the world a better place!

Sigh ... the sad state of things

2.gif

Yes I know this doesn't belong here, but its important and someone will put it into the correct forum.

QUOTE (ACL @ Dec 6 2011, 11:27 AM)
Sigh ... If your going to buy your children anything this holiday season, Please make it a musical instrument, and not another iProduct, you will be helping to make the world a better place!

Sigh ... the sad state of things

2.gif

Yes I know this doesn't belong here, but its important and someone will put it into the correct forum.

Read that yesterday. Petie Lee had it posted on Facebook.

I wouldn't lament based on that article - it's disingenuous, and full of 'apples to oranges' comparisons that are baseless

consider:

"...they're comparing artists that are extremely new, to artists from several decades ago. Metrics are different now than they were then. And the world population at the end of 1969 (say when the Beatles were at their prime) was only 3.5 billion...and there was no facebook, itunes, or cable internet to access all the Beatles songs at an impulse whim. At the end of 2010, the world population was around 6.8 billion, and Facebook, Itunes, and Cable internet are pretty much a staple in most developed countries. That's twice the amount of people available to sell to, with much more efficient means..."

- Mike Wassef from the buzzfeed.com comments

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Dec 6 2011, 10:39 AM)
I wouldn't lament based on that article - it's disingenuous, and full of 'apples to oranges' comparisons that are baseless

consider:

"...they're comparing artists that are extremely new, to artists from several decades ago. Metrics are different now than they were then. And the world population at the end of 1969 (say when the Beatles were at their prime) was only 3.5 billion...and there was no facebook, itunes, or cable internet to access all the Beatles songs at an impulse whim. At the end of 2010, the world population was around 6.8 billion, and Facebook, Itunes, and Cable internet are pretty much a staple in most developed countries. That's twice the amount of people available to sell to, with much more efficient means..."

- Mike Wassef from the buzzfeed.com comments

Pretty much what I thought when I read the article. Besides, artists nowadays come and go. Major rock/pop/metal artists like Zeppelin, Rush, AC/DC, The Beatles, Van Halen, Black Sabbath, Ozzy, Dio, Yes, King Crimson, Genesis, Jimi Hendrix, The Who, Michael Jackson, etc are still incredibly popular among younger people today considering how long ago their best songs were released. I doubt much of today's music will have that kind of impact because the previously mentioned artists had set a good deal of the foundation upon which modern rock and pop is based upon.

I could be wrong, but this is my take on it.

Classic Rock will always be classic..it'll never go out of style.

Even the young kids(13-20) know what REAL music sounds like, that's

why they instinctively gravitate to the older stuff..It has true meaning.

The music of that era (60-70's) came straight from the heart.

Top 40 hits and album sales don't mean shit to real musicians And music fans...a lot of these comparisons make sense...pop artists are SUPPOSED to be more popular with the mainstream than Zeppelin.

I'm sure people older than me in the 80s wondered what was wrong with me because I listened to some of the bands considered classic in the article while they couldn't understand why more people weren't listening to Sinatra. Let the kids listen to what they want.

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Dec 6 2011, 10:03 PM)
I'm sure people older than me in the 80s wondered what was wrong with me because I listened to some of the bands considered classic in the article while they couldn't understand why more people weren't listening to Sinatra. Let the kids listen to what they want.

Exactly what I was going to say. So what if they like music that you don't happen to like? It's their ears, not yours. If you feel that music from the 60s and 70s "has meaning", that's fine; just don't go around spouting off that it's just better on that reason.

I may get some real grief for this but here it goes.

Justin Bieber. Yeah I could care less about him, his music and what not. But I will give him some due repsect.

The kid is a musician. He can play drums and play them pretty damn good for a pop artist. And the kid can sing.

All the power to him for living his dream. And making it happen.

I wish there were 10 more Justin Biebers then all this hip hop ghetto nonsense that is destroying music overall. It is really bad.

Off my soap box.

Edited by Todem

QUOTE (Todem @ Dec 7 2011, 02:37 PM)

Justin Bieber. Yeah I could care less about him, his music and what not. But I will give him some due repsect.

The kid is a muscian. He can play drums and play them pretty damn good for a pop artist. And the kid can sing.

I wish there were 10 more Justin Biebers then all this hip hop ghetto nonsense that is destroying music overall. It is really bad.

Off my soap box.

Musician stuff accepted, but his voice is crap.

QUOTE (Todem @ Dec 7 2011, 01:37 PM)

The kid is a musician. He can play drums and play them pretty damn good for a pop artist. And the kid can sing.

Off my soap box.

Meh. I don't really hate him personally (that much), but more of what he represents:

The devolution (IMO) of the popular music industry into machinated pop artists with no real talent other than singing with auto tune to a fake music track.

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Dec 7 2011, 03:28 PM)
QUOTE (Todem @ Dec 7 2011, 01:37 PM)

Off my soap box.

Meh. I don't really hate him personally (that much), but more of what he represents:

The devolution (IMO) of the popular music industry into machinated pop artists with no real talent other than singing with auto tune to a fake music track.

Yeah I can't stand the Katy Perry's of the world. truly pure unadulterated garbage.

But with Justin Bieber although he is clearly sugary pop and a product of the suits, the fact is he has a chance to go in what ever direction he wants after another album or 2. And I see a kid with real talent. He can sing (to those that think his voice stinks it is subjective) without auto-tune, he has great stage presence and he can actually play an instrument really well.

Most of your pop acts today have 10% talent and 90% shtick. And of course the music stinks.

Justin Bieber has a chance to let his young screaming fans grow up with him. It is a matter of good guidence etc.

I may not like Usher at all (and I really don't) but he knows how to put on a great show. Biber has latched onto him and that is a smart move for his machine.

But overall....yeah the state of music has been going down a path since the mid 90's that has now snowballed into what it is today.

Rock music is an underground cult and no longer a mainstream draw and today it is all about either hip-hop, country (which has always been strong in our country) and sugary throw away pop (which has been in our country a long time as well).

I don't care about the sugary pop and the country....but the hard core hip-hop/rap stuff. Man I am sorry but seeing kids from the burbs emulating these borderline gangsta's and hoochie momma's is very alraming and IMO disturbing.

It was one thing when I was growing up to emulate Kiss and hard heavy metal acts.....at least the music was not about smacking my bitches, popping caps into my rivals and doing anything to be a pimp. It was more about:

Doctor Love

Flight of the Icarus

Flying High Again

and being a Modern Day Warrior with a mean mean stride.

WTF are kids listening to today?

I know what my kid (7 years old) is:

Rush

Kiss

Dream Theatre

Iron Maiden

Foo Fighters

Porcupine Tree

Feed them young.....brainwash them while you can and at least get them on the right path to good music listening habits.

Oh I am sure my kid is going to find his own bands and play some music that will make me sick. But as long as it's not about raping, killing or trying to be a pimp.....I am good with it. Or as long as it has substance, evokes real emotion and has lasting quality.

And hey. Nothing wrong with some pop music. Pop rock has produced some long lasting great songs over the decades.

And urban soul and R&B....ton's of great stuff out there in that style of music. But it get's over shadowed by the Pitbulls and T-Paynes of the world. Really depressing.

But this Katy Perry shit? Come on people!!!!

Edited by Todem

QUOTE (Todem @ Dec 7 2011, 04:00 PM)
It was one thing when I was growing up to emulate Kiss and hard heavy metal acts.....at least the music was not about smacking my bitches, popping caps into my rivals and doing anything to be a pimp. It was more about:

Doctor Love
Flight of the Icarus
Flying High Again

goodpost.gif The answer is Shit Music . Most teenagers don't have a clue

QUOTE (metaldad @ Dec 7 2011, 04:05 PM)
QUOTE (Todem @ Dec 7 2011, 04:00 PM)

Doctor Love
Flight of the Icarus
Flying High Again

goodpost.gif The answer is Shit Music . Most teenagers don't have a clue

goodpost.gif That is 100% true, from personal experience.

For example, I tried to get my best friend into Rush by giving him some of their more pop-ish songs. After he listened to them, he politely said something to the effect of...

No thanks, I'll stick with my One Republic.

facepalm.gif

I know what my kid (7 years old) is:

Rush
Kiss
Dream Theatre
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Porcupine Tree

Feed them young.....brainwash them while you can and at least get them on the right path to good music listening habits.

Damn skippy! Mine is 20 and she grew up on mostly Prog and other classic rock. She is much more well-versed in Genesis and The Beatles than any of the new "musicians." We both feel the same about Beiber, Katy Perry, Et.al. We will give it up (begrudgingly) for those who play and/or don't use an Auto-tuner but we don't like what they do. There is no soul to it: it's cookie-cutter production. No thank you, from our whole family. 1022.gif

As someone that has worked with high school and drum and bugle corps over the years (teaching and marching) I have noticed a downturn in participation. Years back some of the local bands were HUGE and very talented (as well as some bands we competed with in the Philadelphia area and Maryland) After seeing a local band competition last year, I was totally shocked in how the sizes of these bands has dwindled.

I ran into a friend that I used to work and march with years back and he told me that some of the schools we used to compete against have even given up their marching band programs due to lack of interest! He said one has a small "pep" band for football and basketball games, and doesn't field a marching unit any longer, and another has eliminated almost all of their music programs.

Talk about a sad state of affairs!

Now some of you MAY scoff at the thought of a "marching" band person in a "rock" situation, but chew on this for a second. I marched in junior high school with Charlie Clouser who played keyboards in Nine Inch Nails, so WHO benefited from marching band? (Btw...Charlie is one hell of a drummer)

A lot of fellow rock musicians in high school were in marching band.

I was not as I was a guitarist, but I took guitar all through high school just so I can play for an hour a day in school and write songs.

Music is dying and it is dying fast.

Our kids are really missing out.

I have had my son playing drums and keys since he was 1.5 years old. When his finger get longer I will start to teach him guitar.

the kid loves his drums and plays them a ton (I got a Roland V kit TD-9 with all mesh) I use the kit a bunch myself for home recording and jamming.

When he hit's 11 or 12 I will get him a new acoustic kit (he beat the crap out of 2 chep ones I got him). Right now I just want him to have fun, get confident and then if he really wants to pursue it I will get him a nice real kit for his room when he is older and more likly to play in a band. He can't use his feet just yet unless I get him a junior acoustic kit.

So I am in a quandry with that.

Edited by Todem

2.gif

I am so happy I grew up in the 70's and enjoyed the music of that time. especially the rock music. The list of great bands and musicians seems endless.

Today music is a complete and utter joke. Lip synching bimbos that pant and moan like they are actually singing during child birth, rappers mumbling through lyrics that can only be talked out anyway because the "music" lacks any coordination or variances. Just an angry idiot yelling with a back beat drum track in the background. Very sad.

Then you get stupidity like American Idol, Canadian Idol, etc.. calling someone who can sing one song half decently a musical genius. And the judges are talentless lip synchers like Paula Abdul that had their careers last 1-2 years tops.

Good bands, singers, songwriters, musicians are few and far between. the only artists involved in the music industry today are the plastic surgeons and hair stylists pumping up and out the likes of Britney and Justin Beiber.

My son was a rap fan to the fullest until his 18th birthday. for his gift I brought him to a RUSH concert and from that evening on he was cured. It was one of the greatest moments of fatherhood for me to hear Xanadu blasting out of his room. Still brings a tear to my eye.

Thanks for the chance to rant like an old guy.

Happy Holidays to all of you out there.

We RUSH fans are the best cool.gif

QUOTE (Astral Door @ Dec 8 2011, 02:46 PM)
My son was a rap fan to the fullest until his 18th birthday. for his gift I brought him to a RUSH concert and from that evening on he was cured. It was one of the greatest moments of fatherhood for me to hear Xanadu blasting out of his room. Still brings a tear to my eye.

That right there is amazing parenting.

I don't consider myself an old fart... yet, but I too grew up in the 70's where the marketing machine shifted slightly. To me, and I have always maintained this, the biggest shift was MTV where the music became secondary to the visuals. An entire generation was brought up "looking at music" as opposed to what I remember seeing in the 70's which was concert footage.

Would Michael Jackson, Madonna, Eminem or Lady Gaga be even remotely as popular as they became without the music video?

While American Idol and all these spinoffs might be fun (I watch none of them), I can't help but think it just continues to reinforce and place focus on the individual as opposed to the actual musicians. Add to it the quick instant gratification factor, not earning the fame and being handed a recording contract and, well, it's just sad.

Lastly I can say while having all my music on devices and digitized is incredibly convenient, again an entire generation will never HOLD an album, read the liner notes, the producer, where it was recorded, etc.. It's just a file to so many people, it's not tangible so appreciation kinda goes out the window for many.

Music is in bad shape overall.

Edited by ByTor2112

I think this is more of a trend with the commercial music industry, not necessarily a cultural trend. It has a lot to do with the impact technology has had on the way music is both made and distributed.

Years ago, record companies accepted the business reality that bands took years to develop, gain popularity and become financially viable. Rush was rescued from bankruptcy by their 4th album and did not become a huge financial success until their 8th. I doubt many record companies today would view waiting 7 years for return on investment as a viable business case. Bands like Rush became commercially successful under the old business model, but new bands coming up today don't have that opportunity - they must already have gone viral to get that kind of opportunity, or else be entirely groomed and manufactured by the industry from scratch.

Record companies no longer have sole access and control over expensive recording facilities and music distribution media and channels. Anyone can record something at home and distribute it on YouTube instantly to an audience of millions and have it go viral. Music companies today are more interested in the instant monetization of guaranteed hits, even if they have to manufacture it themselves via reality shows and meda campaigns, rather than work for years to develop talent and allow popular musical trends to be dictated by the audience rather than the industry.

There is still great music out there, you just have to dig for it. You're not going to find in on the standard media channels of the music industry. You're not going to find it at your local record shop because there is no more local record shop. I look at one of my favorite "modern era" bands, Spock's Beard - their last album was released entirely without industry support, and many other bands are going the same route. It requires more active involvement from the listener, but it is worth it to find music that is better than what the industry is feeding the masses.