last movie you watched

sonicjams

Fright Night. The original and the best.

I actually prefer the remake.

I found this one really silly.

And the remake wasn't silly? David Tennant cracked me up. That's part of the appeal.

Oh agreed he's why I loved the remake...but it felt more fun in the remake.

I found the original...annoying?

But I came to it late. If I saw it aged like 13 I'd be very into it.

Maybe that would make a difference. Sometimes seeing a movie at different times in your life it can mean different things to you.

Exactly!

It's why I am so hesitant to see The Breakfast Club. I have never seen it before, but I know in high school it'd be one of my favourite films...but at 25 I just don't think it would impress and I'm reluctant to watch it.

But I don't doubt that it's a genre classic. It is just too late for it to now match up to the similar films that defined my teens.

Annoying in a way...and I find eighties horror comedy especially difficult to get into now.

The Breakfast Club is a bit dated but it's fun to watch. Kind of like St. Elmo's Fire.

St. Elmo's Fire wasn't very good even when it came out. Saw it last year again and it was even worse. Not much humor there. Crap drama. And characters you hoped the worst for. Rob Lowe playing sax in that bar then stopping to clap his hands to shout "Let's rock!" to the crowd was embarrassing. Yeah, it was always a shit movie. :LOL:

On the other hand, Breakfast Club, imho, isn't dated. I saw it a few months ago. The themes, dialogue, and humor are as strong as they ever were. :yes:

SEF isn't supposed to be a comedy. I'd you were watching expecting it to be, no wonder you didn't like it. You don't think

Breakfast Club is dated? Really? The music and the clothes are all pure 80s.

Of course St. Elmo's isn't a comedy. It's supposed to be a drama. I knew that. Sure, it was a drama. A shitty drama.

Of course the music and clothes in Breakfast Club were from the 80s. That's when it was made. Breakfast Club is dated like Moving Pictures is dated. So yeah, it's not dated.

Uh........:LOL:

Not sure what's so funny unless I worded something incorrectly. You're using "dated" as a negative word, yeah? Do you listen to songs from the 80s and laugh at how dated they sound? I do with some, others I don't. I can't deny that Moving Pictures and Breakfast Club are from the 80s. But it doesn't mean (to me) that it's laughable because of the decade it was made and how it looks or sounds now.

As far as fashion goes, The Andrew Clark character especially is wearing clothes that's still worn today (jeans and a pullover). Same with John Bender. Denim jacket? T-shirt? What about Brian? Khakis and a sweater. Nothing that'd stand out if he wore that today either.

I'm not using it as a negative thing but just a observation. The girls clothes are very dated. I'm laughing at your comment because to compare Moving Pictures to the movie is funny. Not really a comparison since Rush music is timeless.

I only meant to say that Moving Pictures is not dated and neither is Breakfast Club. Moving Pictures is timeless and so is Breakfast Club...regardless of Molly Ringwald's blouse. The themes are timeless. The dialogue has proven to be timeless, smart, and funny.

Going back to what you said about the girls' clothes in Breakfast Club (of which there are only 2 of 7 main characters), Ally Sheedy's character's not too different from how I saw some high schoolers dress just a couple years of ago.

• Like 2

And the remake wasn't silly? David Tennant cracked me up. That's part of the appeal.

Maybe that would make a difference. Sometimes seeing a movie at different times in your life it can mean different things to you.

Exactly!

It's why I am so hesitant to see The Breakfast Club. I have never seen it before, but I know in high school it'd be one of my favourite films...but at 25 I just don't think it would impress and I'm reluctant to watch it.

But I don't doubt that it's a genre classic. It is just too late for it to now match up to the similar films that defined my teens.

Annoying in a way...and I find eighties horror comedy especially difficult to get into now.

The Breakfast Club is a bit dated but it's fun to watch. Kind of like St. Elmo's Fire.

St. Elmo's Fire wasn't very good even when it came out. Saw it last year again and it was even worse. Not much humor there. Crap drama. And characters you hoped the worst for. Rob Lowe playing sax in that bar then stopping to clap his hands to shout "Let's rock!" to the crowd was embarrassing. Yeah, it was always a shit movie. :LOL:

On the other hand, Breakfast Club, imho, isn't dated. I saw it a few months ago. The themes, dialogue, and humor are as strong as they ever were. :yes:

SEF isn't supposed to be a comedy. I'd you were watching expecting it to be, no wonder you didn't like it. You don't think

Of course St. Elmo's isn't a comedy. It's supposed to be a drama. I knew that. Sure, it was a drama. A shitty drama.

Of course the music and clothes in Breakfast Club were from the 80s. That's when it was made. Breakfast Club is dated like Moving Pictures is dated. So yeah, it's not dated.

Not sure what's so funny unless I worded something incorrectly. You're using "dated" as a negative word, yeah? Do you listen to songs from the 80s and laugh at how dated they sound? I do with some, others I don't. I can't deny that Moving Pictures and Breakfast Club are from the 80s. But it doesn't mean (to me) that it's laughable because of the decade it was made and how it looks or sounds now.

As far as fashion goes, The Andrew Clark character especially is wearing clothes that's still worn today (jeans and a pullover). Same with John Bender. Denim jacket? T-shirt? What about Brian? Khakis and a sweater. Nothing that'd stand out if he wore that today either.

I'm not using it as a negative thing but just a observation. The girls clothes are very dated. I'm laughing at your comment because to compare Moving Pictures to the movie is funny. Not really a comparison since Rush music is timeless.

I only meant to say that Moving Pictures is not dated and neither is Breakfast Club. Moving Pictures is timeless and so is Breakfast Club...regardless of Molly Ringwald's blouse. The themes are timeless. The dialogue has proven to be timeless, smart, and funny.

Going back to what you said about the girls' clothes in Breakfast Club (of which there are only 2 of 7 main characters), Ally Sheedy's character's not too different from how I saw some high schoolers dress just a couple years of ago.

Okay well, I'm not going to argue with you. We just have vastly different opinions.

Exactly!

Okay well, I'm not going to argue with you. We just have vastly different opinions.

What's to argue? As Rod Tidwell said to Jerry Maguire [my paraphrasing], "You think we're arguing and I think we're finally communicating!" ;)

You don't think Breakfast Club's themes and dialogue have proven to be timeless?

There really hasn't been any film like The Breakfast Club that is comparable or in the same league since the 80s .. And that is a testament to how well it holds up ..

What makes it so good and stand out are the dramatic themes and the honesty that comes out from each character - it's not a film that is only enjoyed if you grew up in the 80s .. As JB said, it is timeless, and just happened to be made in 1985

• Like 3

There really hasn't been any film like The Breakfast Club that is comparable or in the same league since the 80s .. And that is a testament to how well it holds up ..

What makes it so good and stand out are the dramatic themes and the honesty that comes out from each character - it's not a film that is only enjoyed if you grew up in the 80s .. As JB said, it is timeless, and just happened to be made in 1985

Perks of Being A Wallflower comes close.

250px-Modern_romance.jpg

Woody Allens Sleeper. Never fails to make me laugh.

Woody Allen is in a league of his own ..

There are good directors, good actors, good movies, but Woody is a comic genius

And he made an excellent drama with "Interiors"

• Like 1

I think the best high school comedy ever is Mean Girls.

http://guiadoscuriosos.com.br/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/the-sting-poker-movie.jpg

Great movie with a fantastic soundtrack.

Edited by goose
  • Like 1

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

and before that

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

See I find the third one very good, and the fourth one is fun ONLY if I put the book put of my mind.

A proper adaptation of The Goblet Of Fire would have been a real fantasy adventure masterpiece.

Anyone that is in high school, or beyond high school, could identify with that movie.

13 Hours.

The Road. Kind of like a post-apocalyptic Walking Dead without the zombies.

Honestly check out the novel.

The film is great don't get me wrong but the book is...it's anguish.

I love it. In fact...read anything by Cormac McCarthy.

• Like 1

You thought the film was great? I kept waiting for something interesting to happen. The story seemed familiar, so I'm not sure if I read the book or not.

• Like 1

You thought the film was great? I kept waiting for something interesting to happen. The story seemed familiar, so I'm not sure if I read the book or not.

I dunno why I said great...

No I don't...

I recommend the author to you anyway. Amazing writer...he also wrote No Country For Old Men.

The Road is a great book but the movie lacks what the book has to offer, which I can't explain but just know.

The film is good. I liked it more before I read the book.

• Like 1

No I don't...

I recommend the author to you anyway. Amazing writer...he also wrote No Country For Old Men.

The Road is a great book but the movie lacks what the book has to offer, which I can't explain but just know.

I can see how the book could be better especially if it went into more detail about what was going on in their heads.

• Like 1

No I don't...

I can see how the book could be better especially if it went into more detail about what was going on in their heads.

I just recommend the author really. He is one of the best writers on the planet.

• Like 2

No I don't...

Exactly the case for me. I watched about half of the movie...and will finish it at some point...but without the father's internal dialogue, it lacked something for me.
  • Like 2

No I don't...

I just recommend the author really. He is one of the best writers on the planet.

This true. :yes: