People Who Talk in Libraries

Mr. Not

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Nov 3 2011, 05:05 PM)
QUOTE (CMWriter @ Nov 2 2011, 11:15 PM)
QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Nov 2 2011, 05:52 PM)
I feel the same way about rappers...

wink.gif

This post saddens me.

Wow, you guys have some pretty serious thoughts on this matter.

What if you're asking someone where to find a book? Or talking to someone who works in the library? When I'm trying to find the right book for a research paper I sure as heck do a lot of talking. You kind of need to, y'know, communicate. Librarians are there to help, no?

Exactly. I have never heard of a library that did not allow talking.

Yeah. If the talking in the library bothers you so much, go read somewhere else.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (The_Necromancer_77 @ Nov 3 2011, 08:08 PM)

wink.gif

This post saddens me.

What if you're asking someone where to find a book? Or talking to someone who works in the library? When I'm trying to find the right book for a research paper I sure as heck do a lot of talking. You kind of need to, y'know, communicate. Librarians are there to help, no?

Yeah. If the talking in the library bothers you so much, go read somewhere else.

There are specific areas in the library dedicated for silent reading and study. I believe it's those areas that Kenneth was referencing in his original post. People talk there just like everywhere else in the library. If you can't read the sign, then you don't belong in the library.

entitlement, selfishness and intolerance are ruining this country

rapidly

you'll know we're near the end when "I should be able to do whatever I want, wherever I want" meets "everything you do that I don't like should be banned" on a daily basis

what is this, f***ing elementary school? I'll talk at a reasonable volume in the library if i damn well feel like it. People checking out books need to talk, library staff need to talk, groups working on research projects (especially in college campus libraries) need to talk. Unless they're screaming their heads off, deal with it, and if it seriously bothers you that much, buy a pair of damn earplugs.

I also like how hatred for rap got dragged into a thread that has absolutely nothing to do with rap (or music of any kind). Maturity at its peak.

Edited by fledgehog

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Nov 4 2011, 12:55 PM)
what is this, f***ing elementary school? I'll talk at a reasonable volume in the library if i damn well feel like it. People checking out books need to talk, library staff need to talk, groups working on research projects (especially in college campus libraries) need to talk. Unless they're screaming their heads off, deal with it, and if it seriously bothers you that much, buy a pair of damn earplugs.

I also like how hatred for rap got dragged into a thread that has absolutely nothing to do with rap (or music of any kind). Maturity at its peak.

Invalid opinion, you're not 40

QUOTE (Can-Utility @ Nov 4 2011, 04:01 PM)
QUOTE (fledgehog @ Nov 4 2011, 12:55 PM)
what is this, f***ing elementary school?  I'll talk at a reasonable volume in the library if i damn well feel like it.  People checking out books need to talk, library staff need to talk, groups working on research projects (especially in college campus libraries) need to talk.  Unless they're screaming their heads off, deal with it, and if it seriously bothers you that much, buy a pair of damn earplugs.

I also like how hatred for rap got dragged into a thread that has absolutely nothing to do with rap (or music of any kind).  Maturity at its peak.

Invalid opinion, you're not 40

rofl3.gif

goodpost.gif

And you do realize (as I explained) that my rap comment was a joke because I had no real thoughts on the question?

QUOTE (USB Connector @ Nov 4 2011, 10:35 AM)

wink.gif

This post saddens me.

There are specific areas in the library dedicated for silent reading and study. I believe it's those areas that Kenneth was referencing in his original post. People talk there just like everywhere else in the library. If you can't read the sign, then you don't belong in the library.

In the libraries I have been in these are called rooms and you close the doors. Problem solved.

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Nov 4 2011, 04:08 PM)

wink.gif

This post saddens me.

In the libraries I have been in these are called rooms and you close the doors. Problem solved.

Libraries with doors? You're the 1%

QUOTE (Can-Utility @ Nov 4 2011, 10:46 PM)

wink.gif

This post saddens me.

Most libraries don't have doors, just a large space dedicated to silent and individual study. Besides, doors don't stop the ignorant from treating them like their own quiet hangout.

wink.gif

This post saddens me.

Your libraries don't have rooms? Weird.

Even the small neighborhood library near my house that I take my kids to has about a

dozen small rooms that you can use plus a couple of larger rooms for seminars, etc...

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Nov 5 2011, 07:39 AM)

wink.gif

This post saddens me.

Your libraries don't have rooms? Weird.

Even the small neighborhood library near my house that I take my kids to has about a

dozen small rooms that you can use plus a couple of larger rooms for seminars, etc...

That was meant as a joke, but yeah I know what you mean. The libraries here don't have them, but some of the bigger ones near me do confused13.gif

I worked in public and private libraries for 10 or so years up until a few years ago. The era of hushed tones in a library and people encouraged to do so is long, LONG passed. We (as library staff) were not allowed to admonish or even politely suggest that someone "maintain low-tones" unless that person has escalated to the point of almost yelling. At one library the reading room was regularly used by druggies, who, during the course of the 3 or so years I worked there regularly OD'd in the bathrooms only to go out and pass out (or die) in the reading room. Syringes were regularly found in the bathrooms, to be removed by us, the library staff. People brought in their dogs all the time claiming they were "service dogs" (so they could accompany their owners into the library)only to have them growl and bite at anyone who'd go near them. People would come in stinking so badly of b.o. that the entire library would reek for the rest of the day. Could the library staff do a damn thing about it?! NO. Only in the most extreme cases were we even allowed to say anything to the odd patron...and that was still at the risk of getting sued for "violating" someone's civil rights.

Working w/ the public is ever-so-much fun nowadays. sarcasm.gif

Edited by Alien Girl

QUOTE (Alien Girl @ Nov 7 2011, 01:01 PM)
I worked in public and private libraries for 10 or so years up until a few years ago. The era of hushed tones in a library and people encouraged to do so is long, LONG passed. We (as library staff) were not allowed to admonish or even politely suggest that someone "maintain low-tones" unless that person has escalated to the point of almost yelling. At one library the reading room was regularly used by druggies, who, during the course of the 3 or so years I worked there regularly OD'd in the bathrooms only to go out and pass out (or die) in the reading room. Syringes were regularly found in the bathrooms, to be removed by us, the library staff. People brought in their dogs all the time claiming they were "service dogs" (so they could accompany their owners into the library)only to have them growl and bite at anyone who'd go near them. People would come in stinking so badly of b.o. that the entire library would reek for the rest of the day. Could the library staff do a damn thing about it?! NO. Only in the most extreme cases were we even allowed to say anything to the odd patron...and that was still at the risk of getting sued for "violating" someone's civil rights.
Working w/ the public is ever-so-much fun nowadays. sarcasm.gif

How is that violating civil rights? Don't businesses have the right to refuse service to customers?

QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Nov 7 2011, 08:22 PM)
I worked in public and private libraries for 10 or so years up until a few years ago.  The era of hushed tones in a library and people encouraged to do so is long, LONG passed.  We (as library staff) were not allowed to admonish or even politely suggest that someone "maintain low-tones" unless that person has escalated to the point of almost yelling.  At one library the reading room was regularly used by druggies, who, during the course of the 3 or so years I worked there regularly OD'd in the bathrooms only to go out and pass out (or die) in the reading room.  Syringes were regularly found in the bathrooms, to be removed by us, the library staff.  People brought in their dogs all the time claiming they were "service dogs" (so they could accompany their owners into the library)only to have them growl and bite at anyone who'd go near them.  People would come in stinking so badly of b.o. that the entire library would reek for the rest of the day.  Could the library staff do a damn thing about it?!  NO.  Only in the most extreme cases were we even allowed to say anything to the odd patron...and that was still at the risk of getting sued for "violating" someone's civil rights. 
Working w/ the public is ever-so-much fun nowadays.  sarcasm.gif

How is that violating civil rights? Don't businesses have the right to refuse service to customers?

Unfortunately not. However, I always thought businesses had the right to lay down rules and say "obey or you will be asked to leave".

QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Nov 7 2011, 05:22 PM)
I worked in public and private libraries for 10 or so years up until a few years ago.  The era of hushed tones in a library and people encouraged to do so is long, LONG passed.  We (as library staff) were not allowed to admonish or even politely suggest that someone "maintain low-tones" unless that person has escalated to the point of almost yelling.  At one library the reading room was regularly used by druggies, who, during the course of the 3 or so years I worked there regularly OD'd in the bathrooms only to go out and pass out (or die) in the reading room.  Syringes were regularly found in the bathrooms, to be removed by us, the library staff.  People brought in their dogs all the time claiming they were "service dogs" (so they could accompany their owners into the library)only to have them growl and bite at anyone who'd go near them.  People would come in stinking so badly of b.o. that the entire library would reek for the rest of the day.  Could the library staff do a damn thing about it?!  NO.  Only in the most extreme cases were we even allowed to say anything to the odd patron...and that was still at the risk of getting sued for "violating" someone's civil rights. 
Working w/ the public is ever-so-much fun nowadays.  sarcasm.gif

Public libraries aren't considered "businesses" in the strictest sense. They are a part of the municipal government so are subject to their laws and ordinances.

Library employees, being civil servants, are subject to all the whims and abuses of the general public.

The "general public" unfortunately (in many cases) are self-absorbed, disgusting, assholes*. wink.gif

*(I make it sound so bad...don't get me wrong, there are a lot of good law-abiding citizens out there who love the library w/ a passion...and that's wonderful. However there were/are a lot of bad apples out there as well, who were/are out there to ruin it for everyone) Let's just say that the job of librarians and library employees is not (or is no longer)the quiet bookish one of lore...quite often now they're the ones on the front line dealing w/ the dregs of society.

People Need to talk once in a while .

QUOTE (metaldad @ Nov 9 2011, 08:02 AM)

not in my library they don't.

QUOTE (Alien Girl @ Nov 10 2011, 11:16 AM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Nov 9 2011, 08:02 AM)

not in my library they don't.

Ahh, but in your previous (interesting) post, it's not your library but the municipal government's. So, those aforementioned folks will continue to do things almost as they wish.

QUOTE (metaldad @ Nov 9 2011, 10:02 AM)
People Need to talk once in a while.

Especially when they're enjoying a nice bowl of soup. wink.gif

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Nov 4 2011, 03:55 PM)

Yet another polite and respectfully-worded opinion from fledgehog. sarcasm.gif

I think we can all agree that the atmosphere in the library should be discernable from that of the local Starbucks (for example). There is a happy medium somewhere between absolute silence and a stadium crowd on game day.

QUOTE (Mara @ Nov 10 2011, 12:54 PM)
QUOTE (fledgehog @ Nov 4 2011, 03:55 PM)
what is this, f***ing elementary school?  I'll talk at a reasonable volume in the library if i damn well feel like it.  People checking out books need to talk, library staff need to talk, groups working on research projects (especially in college campus libraries) need to talk.  Unless they're screaming their heads off, deal with it, and if it seriously bothers you that much, buy a pair of damn earplugs.

I also like how hatred for rap got dragged into a thread that has absolutely nothing to do with rap (or music of any kind).  Maturity at its peak.

Yet another polite and respectfully-worded opinion from fledgehog. sarcasm.gif

I think we can all agree that the atmosphere in the library should be discernable from that of the local Starbucks (for example). There is a happy medium somewhere between absolute silence and a stadium crowd on game day.

goodpost.gif

Two blonde girls walk into a library

"Blah blah blah blah blah. This coffee is like, really good. Blah blah blah blah. There's no difference between an indoor voice and a library voice. Blah blah blah. Time to check my facebook."

I don't know about your library, but people at this community college's are very inconsiderate. Sure, talk away at a reasonable level if it's related to your work or research, the stuff you're supposed to be in a library for... but, under no circumstance, should one have to:

QUOTE (The_Necromancer_77 @ Nov 3 2011, 04:08 PM)
go read somewhere else.
Edited by Kenneth