I Just Got Some Gut Wrenching News

Tick

I am off today for the first time in a week and I'm having a rough day.

The other night my wife was on Facebook and she read a post that had her immediately grabbing the phone. I was busy in the kitchen when I heard her crying while speaking to whom whoever she was. I thought, oh man, something bad has happened.

I went into my bedroom and saw tears steaming down her face. I mouthed out, whats wrong? to her and she sat on my bed stunned.

She looked at me and pointed to the computer in my dining room.

I went in and looked at the screen. It was a post from two of our dearest friends 15 year old son. the status read...

"Praying for my lil sister that she will over come her cancer I'm gonna be there for her all the way through her treatment because I love my lil sister !!!"

I felt my heart sink in my chest. My oldest friends 11 year daughter couldn't possibly have cancer, I thought. There family to me.

Casey is a year older then my daughter Bri and they have grown up together. This was more then my brain could process.

when my wife got off the phone I asked what was going on. She told me Casey fell during her softball game and sprained her knee.

She was taken to the hospital to get Xrays on Wednesday night and the doctor came out with stunning news. Upon looking at the Xray he saw she actually had something far worse then a sprained knee. It turns out she has bone cancer.

Thank god for her fall or who knows what would have happened.

Casey must start intensive chemotherapy for 6 months followed by a break to recover and then 6 more months of it.

She will have to have her femur bone replaced by a titanium one and hope it takes or she will loose her leg.

The doctors have said not to look at this as a death sentence and have said she has an 80% chance to beat this but my friends are obviously very scared. This is there youngest of 3 children.

I just feel heartbroken right now and I have shed my share of tears. I also can't stop hugging my own daughter for the past 3 days.

I would appreciate your prayers for Casey that she beats this and thanks for reading.

Edited by tick

Oh my god...

What horrible news to have to hear! I really, really do hope that things will work out and that the treatments will succeed. It must be such a huge blow, but like the doctor said there's a good chance to overcome this. Indeed, it was good they did that x-ray!

I send my love, strength, and prayers to you and yours.

Stay strong. heart.gif

Thoughts and prayers sent your way for all who are touched by this. I can't imagine what I'd be going through were this my son...

Oh, tick, what heart-breaking news! sad.gif Please stay strong and remember we're here for you. My thoughts, prayers, love and hugs go to each of you. heart.gif hug2.gif

Oh man, I'm sorry to read this from you, man. I was hoping maybe it was your usual tickster teaser funny bacon type thing!

I can only hope and pray for a positive outcome.

Very sorry to hear this. I lost both my mom and grandfather to cancer, so unfortunately I don't have a lot of good things to say about it. But I won't mention any of that here.

The good news is that it seems they have found it early enough and the outlook is good. But a young child should never have to go through something like that sad.gif

We're all here if you need to talk or vent at all, tick.

Man, I have no words. All I can say is, the best way to help yourself deal with it is to be there as much as possible for your friends.

Positive thoughts. rose.gif

sad.gif Tick.

I'm so sorry for your friend's daughter, and what she'll have to endure. I hope everyone comes through this okay. Most of all, that poor little girl.

+∞ on all these comments.

May she surface from this hardship a stronger person who, with a deeper appreciation for life than most can achieve, will continue to inspire all around her.

QUOTE (tick @ Jul 5 2011, 11:38 AM)
I would appreciate your prayers for Casey that she beats this and thanks for reading.

Hey tick, I'm very sorry to start my comment with an irrelevant topic. Right now I need to vent because my mom has been trying to convert me from an atheist to a catholic for the past 7 years now and she's beginning to really bug me about it, to the point where she invited a priest over for dinner tonight.

But knowing you are a religious person, I want to let you know that even though I have completely different beliefs and I'm just some stupid but arrogant teenager, I really hope for the best and I know that if you remain strong as well as her and her family, faithless or not, good things will come through smile.gif you have my support as well as everyone else who has commented, and I hope it really makes you feel better that we atheists do care laugh.gif

I think the love and care you show for her and her family is admirable, and hopefully that will mean something yes.gif

And time to revive the f**k cancer thread.

sad.gif

Oh Tick heart.gif

Prayers for that sweet little girl and her family. And prayers for yours as you support your good friends in this, their time of need.

rose.gif heart.gif

Much Love to you guys. hug2.gif

Oh Tick, I'm sorry. Sending healing thoughts for her and strength for you and her family. hug2.gif

Sending positive thoughts to Casey and you during this very hard time.

I hope that she sends that cancer back where it belongs!

rose.gif hug2.gif

Edited by KW84

QUOTE (tick @ Jul 5 2011, 12:38 PM)
The other night my wife was on Facebook and she read a post that had her immediately grabbing the phone. I was busy in the kitchen when I heard her crying while speaking to whom whoever she was. I thought, oh man, something bad has happened.
I went into my bedroom and saw tears steaming down her face. I mouthed out, whats wrong? to her and she sat on my bed stunned.
I went in and looked at the screen. It was a post from two of our dearest friends 15 year old son. the status read...

"Praying for my lil sister that she will over come her cancer I'm gonna be there for her all the way through her treatment because I love my lil sister !!!"

I felt my heart sink in my chest. My oldest friends 11 year daughter couldn't possibly have cancer, I thought. There family to me.
Casey is a year older then my daughter Bri and they have grown up together. This was more then my brain could process.
when my wife got off the phone I asked what was going on. She told me Casey fell during her softball game and sprained her knee.
She was taken to the hospital to get Xrays on Wednesday night and the doctor came out with stunning news. Upon looking at the Xray he saw she actually had something far worse then a sprained knee. It turns out she has bone cancer.
Casey must start intensive chemotherapy for 6 months followed by a break to recover and then 6 more months of it.
She will have to have her femur bone replaced by a titanium one and hope it takes or she will loose her leg.

The doctors have said not to look at this as a death sentence and have said she has an 80% chance to beat this but my friends are obviously very scared. This is there youngest of 3 children.
I just feel heartbroken right now and I have shed my shear of tears. I also can't stop hugging my own daughter for the past 3 days.

Sadness. Anger. F-ck.

Prayers and well wishes.. fight the bastard with all she has! And in addition to the little, resilient, fight-em, tough as nails child, prayers to the parents for peace and strength as they fight this - a parents worst nightmare.

And once again. F-ck you cancer.

Sorry. Children should get a pass. Life's not fair.. but f-ck this.

QUOTE (tick @ Jul 6 2011, 01:38 AM)

I just feel heartbroken right now and I have shed my shear of tears. I also can't stop hugging my own daughter for the past 3 days.

rose.gif

I'm very sorry to hear this tick. This is a topic extremely close to me...my 10-year old niece passed away 8 years ago because of it and I survived it when I was 2 [with all the meds and scans that went with it over the next several years]. The best that we can do is believe that it will be beat and cherish every second we have.

rose.gif