Geddy Lee Or The Ox? "You Better You Bet!"

RUSHHEAD666

Which Bass Player Is Better?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Which Bass Player Is Better?

• John Entwistle
    • Geddy Lee

Would be comparing Thunderfingers to Geddy Lee be like comparing apples to oranges again?

Well we all know which bass player came first, and yes Geddy was influenced by the late great Ox.

I am blasting "Quadrophenia" tonight and John's work on "The Real Me" simply can't be touched.

Geddy is one of the greatest bass players in the world and the dude is still going out here night after night delivering the goods.

However, I have to give the edge to The Ox.

Bigger is better.

John was the best. R.I.P.

1022.gif

I really cant answer this one. Like you said, apples and oranges, different eras. Geddy was definitely a better musician, with all the stuff he does and sings too.

Geddy's my favorite bassist. Ok. But The Ox is a maniac on the bass, one of the best ever...

.....signed,

"My Wife"

Edited by Bastille Dave

QUOTE (Bastille Dave @ Jun 25 2011, 10:56 PM)
I really cant answer this one. Like you said, apples and oranges, different eras. Geddy was definitely a better musician, with all the stuff he does and sings too.

Geddy's my favorite bassist. Ok. But The Ox is a maniac on the bass, one of the best ever...

.....signed,

"My Wife"

Hahaha! Dave! You are right on target and you stole my "Thunder"fingers!

I was going to mention "My Wife!" The Ox could sing too!!!

Love Forever,

"Boris The Spider" 1022.gif

^^^ah, I forgot about Boris The Spider!!

You know Earl, I only do those "signed" things on your threads, out of respect. I know they're your thing....and I think they're funny. Keep it up! common001.gif

Edited by Bastille Dave

QUOTE (Bastille Dave @ Jun 25 2011, 11:02 PM)
^^^ah, I forgot about Boris The Spider!!

You know Earl, I only do those "signed" things on your threads, out of respect. I know they're your thing....and I think they're funny. Keep it up! common001.gif

Thanks Dave!!

Hey buddy, the whole signed "schtick" thing might have been started by me on here but hey go for it! It's fun and your "My Wife" was classic.

trink39.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif

I would say that The Ox had more proficient chops ...but i prefer Geddys basslines overall in the context of both bands music...if that makes any sense..

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Jun 25 2011, 11:33 PM)
I would say that The Ox had more proficient chops ...but i prefer Geddys basslines overall in the context of both bands music...if that makes any sense..

Well said.

"STOP MAKING SENSE!"

Sincerely,

Talking Heads trink39.gif

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Jun 26 2011, 01:33 AM)

yeah, that's what I was trying to say but I couldnt get my fingers to type what my head was thinking, more or less.

signed,

Doctor Jimmy

I will have to give this one to Geddy. I prefer his basslines and how they fit into the songs. Also, you have to look at the whole package and take into account that Geddy is an amazing singer and keyboard/synth player. John's great, but I think Geddy beats him out.

BTW, who's going to start an Alex Lifeson vs. Jimmy Page thread? smile.gif

Ouch! This one hurts.

Stylistically, Ged edges John out in my book; but technically the reverse is true.

The Who are central in the Rock firmament, in respects to their musical influences being the same as every other non-american early rock greats (blues, R&B). Bands that followed the British Invasion (such as Rush) were influenced by The Kinks, The Who, Beatles, Stones, etc. In other words Ged could not exist (musically) without John, being a direct influence (in the musical family tree).

If I were objective, I'd have to give it to Ox. But, Ged's playing speaks to me; so based on that, Dirk would have the vote.

I'll have to think about it some more...maybe have a listening marathon before I actually vote.

Edited by ioc

My two all-time favourite bass players. I won't vote in this because of the wording of the poll, the use of the word "better." I can't judge which of these two is "better," but if the word used was "favourite" instead, I'd vote for Geddy without a second thought.

The Who have been one of my top favourite bands since I was a kid and Ox was an indisputable bass God, but there's something I can't define about the way Geddy plays that captivates me like nothing else. It's fluid and sensual, and it really reaches me. His performance on "Leave That Thing Alone" at the Hershey gig this year was almost better than sex.

As good as entwhistle was, I think Geddy destoys him actually.

Geddy is always thinking of the song and very rarely allows himself to fully display the chops he is capable of..Entwhistle didn't have a lot else to do apart from play bass and consequently had free reign.

However, I don't believe Entwhistle could ever have come up with something as good as YYZ which is essentially a Geddy composition.

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Jun 26 2011, 03:28 PM)
BTW, who's going to start an Alex Lifeson vs. Jimmy Page thread? smile.gif

Now, would that really be necessary?

Don't get me wrong...I love Pagey, but he was capable of some really sloppy playing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKLVq1v0ceg

Take it to about 3:30ish to hear his Black Dog solo...then you can start a poll

My favorite two bass players as well.

Based soley on bass playing, I gotta go with Ox.

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jun 26 2011, 03:21 PM)
QUOTE (An Enemy Without @ Jun 26 2011, 01:16 PM)
Geddy.

I love bias.  biggrin.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Exactly!!

I can see it now: "Okay, here's a new poll for the 'Rush Rulz / the Who Sux' Forum: Which is better? Rush or the Who?? HaHa! Rush winz!!"

[since we're comparing apples to oranges, we may as well be asking, who's better - Charles Mingus or Geddy Lee]

yes, this was a hard poll. music.gif

Its a tough call for me. Like many people these are my two favorite players.

Johns live stuff was FAR better than anything he did in studio.

I voted for John mainly because without him there may not of have been Geddy. (meaning playing style)

I am a bigger Rush fan but i gotta go with The Ox